You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, you are currently not logged in. Login or Register as a new user .

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 10:40pm

Will "ghosting" be copied into a KPA profile?

My first post here, so hi to everyone!

I'm getting more and more convinced by some sound clips i am hearing from the KPA - seems to me like it's the first digital solution that gets the 3d-"shape", punch and depth of the attack of real tube amps. As i'm getting more interested, i'm wondering if ghosting will be copied along with other amp characteristics if present in the reference amp? By ghosting i mean the "ghost notes" (most appearant at the 12th fret and higher on the board) that can be heard on vintage amps (like old JTM Marshalls and AC30's) and which is a result of low filtering.
Actually i'd find it very good, as it is one of the typical "warts" of real tube amps that give them their character (and the KPA seems to be capable of capturing those too).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

VintageCharlie

Jimmyno

Professional

Friday, April 27th 2012, 10:23am

I had a very cool amp which was the Steavens Poundcake, a modern amp with some ghost notes and the KPA takes them all.
In the end i'd say yes to your question.

Friday, April 27th 2012, 12:05pm

Thanks for the reply, Jimmy!

Wow, i'm pleasantly surprized it catches even these things. If i will get the KPA, i'll profile my authentic marshall 45/100 clone (has all correct vintage components, down to the date codes) - it has some ghosting going on (which many hate), but that's a part of these amps soul.

Jimmyno

Professional

Friday, April 27th 2012, 12:43pm

Thanks for the reply, Jimmy!

Wow, i'm pleasantly surprized it catches even these things. If i will get the KPA, i'll profile my authentic marshall 45/100 clone (has all correct vintage components, down to the date codes) - it has some ghosting going on (which many hate), but that's a part of these amps soul.

I absolutely agree on this. Now i always listen carefully to guitar recordings from the past and many times i can hear some ghost notes going on in the background.

Occupation: Personal Trainer for Musicians \ Performance Engineer

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 12:03am

Does any of you guys feel inclined to elaborate on this? What is "low filtering", and could you post some example?

Thanks for your time :)

gianfranco di mare

Musicians Support Association

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 6:22pm

Low filtering concerns the capacitance of caps in the power amp stage of a tube amp. The smaller the mains and screen filtering caps will be, the looser the feel of the amp, but also the more risk of ghosting, which occurs on single note runs, when the amp is dimed. Ghosting usually sounds like a lower pitched out of tune copy of the single note being played.
Afaik, the low filtering is not the cause for the ghosting - it is a problem of some AB push pull circuits, etc., etc., but i'm not technical enough to explain it in full detail. Higher filtering can remedy this issue to some extent though.
Here is a clip where i made it obvious or exaggerated. Normally it is hard to notice - only when you "hunt" for the ghosts you can make it REALLY easily audible. That's a JTM-45/100 clone running through a hot plate on load setting, the line out signal runs into cubase, where i added a redwirez IR of a 4x12. It is too thick/bassy/muddy, but enough for this purpose:

http://soundcloud.com/vintagecharlie/ghosts2

From the classic amps i usually hear complaints about ghosting in old marshalls and ac30's.

Occupation: Personal Trainer for Musicians \ Performance Engineer

Saturday, April 28th 2012, 11:01pm

Thanks for your time! I could most clearly hear them around 27".
Never happened to come across them with a real amp. It seems my Lonestar Special doesn't exhibit any :)

gianfranco di mare

Musicians Support Association