what kind of strings do you use?

• What set of strings do you use in standard tuning? 66

1. 09-46 (or similiar) (17) 26%
    2. 10-46 (or similiar) (28) 42%
    3. 10-52 ( or similiar) (7) 11%
    4. 11-52 ( or similiar) (6) 9%
    5. something else (8) 12%

hey gang, i think it is high time to research what strings you guys play. i worked my way to a 11-52 set. and i was proud i could bend ...
    then i discovered that this set had some kind of harsh highs and switched to the 10-52 and lived all happy thereafter ...
    here we go, the strings poll:

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Well, I studied a lot on string stuff and I found my best compromise: I'm using 10-46 on Les Paul guitar and 9,5-44 on Strat Type Guitar.

Let's say, as you know Strat have 25,5'' scale and Les Paul have 24,75'' scale, with this two type of string I feel exactly the same feeling and strenght in bending and chords. Moreover both string set are very well equilibrated between high and low strings.

As for the brand, I tryed and compared a lot of them, I found D'Addario to be the best compromise between price/quality/durability and the Naked String ones, for you lucky guys that live in USA, half the price, SAME quality!!!

Take a look...
    http://www.nakedstrings.com/

And thanks once again Gerardo for your interesting topics ;)

• ah maurizio, i was always wondering why a set of tenners feels so hard to bend on a strat. now you have explained it to me!
    thanks for that. :thumbup: the eleven-52 set on my strat was for the iron fist, really. it hurt badly in the beginning, but it was worth it.
    i recommend to play as thick as you can while feeling comfortable.
    so many have different setups? ?( could you post yours then for clarifiacation?
    but it is still the poll for standard tuning, went up to .60 for the low h on a 7-string. happy voting! :thumbup:

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• 009 on all my guitars (including acoustics). I can work with 010s when I have to, but my hands prefer 009s. It's all about being able to play with ease and without cramping.

I never beleived the myth about the heavier the better and I cringe when I see people working heavy strings because they think they got a better tone when in fact their playing sucks because they can't bend or even use finger vibrato because of the string-tension. Doesn't make sense to me.

Most of my idols from Clapton to Billy Gibbons, from Jimmy Page and David Gilmour to Mark Knopfler, all played strings as light as they could get (mostly 009, the Reverend even used 008s). They even used Banjo-strings in in the 60s when 009s weren't available yet (Clapton, Beck and Page are known for doing that).

• .010 - .52 on my regular D tuned guitars and .56 7 string sets on my B tuned guitars (using inly the lower 6 strings)

I completely switched to Elexir nanoweb last year. They are so much better than anything else i have used, and i have been really through a lot of brands. From completely fresh to two months old, the wound strings always sound the same. This really makes huge difference. A few weeks ago i tried some regular non coated strings and after 2 weeks they sounded horrible...

• Maurizio70 thank you.

I have allways felt 9s were to light but 10 to stiff for my strats and never came across 9.5s.

So I have ordered from Naked String, what great way to order and price :D .

• D'Addario XL157 .014 - .068 with added 0.11 on my Schecter Hellraiser C-7 (26,5“ Scale)
    Ernie Ball .010-.046 on a ESP Jeff Hanneman Signature and 2 BC Rich Warlocks

• Ernieball 11-52 on my gibsons because that's what works for me for 2 simple reasons :
    1. My chords tend to sound slightly out of tune with lighter strings due to the way i play,
    2. I'm learning slide guitar and my philosophy is to be able to do everything with one guitar :)

By the way those of you who play slide guitar what string gauge do you use and do you use your regular guitar or do you have a special guitar setup only for slide?

Sorry for hjacking the thread.

• Trying out the cobalt Slinkys now - i like 'em, but not 15$-a-pack-worth of like 'em.
    .011-.052 with an extra .070 stainless steel for the low B (7 string guitar).
    Think i'll try D'addarios next.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I use 09-46 (also 09-42) on my stratocasters. (10-46 on shorter scale necks like Les Paul).
    Many of my guitar idols use very thin strings 08, and have great tone (Yngwie, Gibbons, Hendrix, EVH, Ty Tabor, Holdsworth, E Johnson, Dimebag, Page, both guys in Judas Priest ...)
    I used to play thicker strings but noticed that playing with thinner was so much more effortless and gave me more bend control without losing tone.
    I've also done some blind testing between brands by switching one or a few strings out and I couldn't hear any difference so I always go with the cheap strings. Right now I'm using up all the Framus strings I've got. Previously I've mostly used GHS and Daddario.

• I like ZOG sets as he has good sets made for different types of tunings and scales. The 7 string and 8 string sets are nice and tight for the low strings too. It's funny how people on forums bashed him for smack talking the big companies sets and how his equal tension sets were voodoo and he was nobody to have a say in what works better for different guitars. Now I recently seen D'Addario release their Balanced Tension XL sets and all their revolutionary "science" for them. Oh well I guess it's all in the marketing. I just tried ZOG because I did not like sloppy strings when tuning to drop c (or D standard with drop D if you like) and liked them so I kept buying them for all my other guitars as well once I seen he had a set for my other needs too.

Edited once, last by K3MP3R ().

• Hi I only swear by ernie ball classics, they bend very smoothly , last very long , ring very well on chords / open chords, I love them , tried severall good brands and always get back to Ernie Ball. Fount an old pack from 20 years ago in my attic last month, thought they were dead (unsealed pack @ this time) , tried them on the start : instant super bright twang :D

10/46 (hybrid slinky) on the strats & tele to get the right twang, 9/46 on HB guitars. Love them to the death :)