Lasse Lammert Pack (It´s here, THANK YOU Kemper!)

• Hi ,

I played the profiles and there are some great ones in the pack. Are these profiles primarily made to sound great in a mix? When playing them raw they are great but sound much like alot of my other great metal profiles. Now I haven't had the chance to play them too much so maybe I just haven't got the full effect yet.

I haven't done alot of recording so I am not to adept on how to get the most out of these profiles when putting them in a mix. For you more experienced musicians, how can I take these profiles and make them sound crushing in a mix? I have Presonus studio One2 Daw, Toontrack superior drummer, metal machine pack, carvin guitar dc135 with dual hums and a Carvin 4 string bass. I have only done basic recording dual tracks with other profiles but I want to make heavy killer mixes like some of you guys are getting. I really appreciate any help.

• For you more experienced musicians, how can I take these profiles and make them sound crushing in a mix?

Imho, "killer crushing guitar tone" is 60% drums, 30% bass guitar and 10% 4 tracks of guitar, each with different settings/guitar. :D Guitar is the least important thing in a mix to make it sound "crushing". If the drums sound bad, everything will sound bad. Here's a good example of how the bass guitar makes everything sound huge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwVKaEebOTE

Also, when you're starting out recording/mixing, use reference albums a lot to hear how your mix differs from commercial releases to learn what you're missing.

• Bingo... There is a reason why most metal projects start with the drums, with everything focused around that... Drums suck and sound small and thin? No amount of distorted midrange (guitars) is going to fix that. Guitars are "easy" compared to drums in a mix, that's for sure.

• Imho, "killer crushing guitar tone" is 60% drums, 30% bass guitar and 10% 4 tracks of guitar, each with different settings/guitar. :D Guitar is the least important thing in a mix to make it sound "crushing".

Yepp. This is pretty much the best description of how to get a brutal sound. Shocking but true. However - as you might already know - the guitar sound will be one of the most important factors when it comes to the overall "sound" of the recording (for example - everytime you hear a mesa trirec on a metal record you instantly know it´s a trirec. Or the Uberschall etc. So the character of you amp will be very present in the overall character of your sound)

• Thanks everyone, glad you like the pack!

one little bit of information:

The inactive slots in the stomp and post section (Dist and EQ etc) are supposed to be inactive, I created the profiles without them in mind.
    So no need to activate them (of course you could...but they're not set up like I would have set them up etc...all the profiles should work without post processing).
    WHY are they there but inactive you ask?
    Well, because they were there and inactive when I created the profile, and I didn't bother to delete them entirely ;)

• Thanks everyone, glad you like the pack!

one little bit of information:

The inactive slots in the stomp and post section (Dist and EQ etc) are supposed to be inactive, I created the profiles without them in mind.
    So no need to activate them (of course you could...but they're not set up like I would have set them up etc...all the profiles should work without post processing).
    WHY are they there but inactive you ask?
    Well, because they were there and inactive when I created the profile, and I didn't bother to delete them entirely ;)

Hey Lasse.. are these profiles supposed to be put in the mix without adding bass/mid/treble/presence.. or anything else, before mixing and mastering..

thanks

steve

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Yepp. This is pretty much the best description of how to get a brutal sound. Shocking but true. However - as you might already know - the guitar sound will be one of the most important factors when it comes to the overall "sound" of the recording (for example - everytime you hear a mesa trirec on a metal record you instantly know it´s a trirec. Or the Uberschall etc. So the character of you amp will be very present in the overall character of your sound)

One more thing about eq and how I see it personally: Boosting frequencies = masking the problem. Cutting frequencies = removing the problem. :D (Overgeneralization I know).

Thanks for the pack Lasse! I haven't had time to try the pack out yet though. (I haven't even turned the KPA on for a week or two).