Restore Hangs With Too Many Backups on USB

• I'm not positive about this, but I thought I'd post it here in case it helps someone else. I tend to keep all my backups on the USB stick, though I do copy them to my computer as well. I figured having them in both places would provide additional protection against losing them. I just had a case where I went to restore the latest backup and the lunchbox just hung when I pressed the Restore button, then eventually went to the startup screen and stayed there. I tried this several times, and even reloaded the OS. Then it dawned on me that the latest OS has an option for letting you choose which backup you wish to restore. I wondered if there were just too many on the stick for it to handle, so whacked all but the latest two. After that, the restore worked perfectly. It's possible that something else was at issue here, but I'm betting not.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I'm not positive about this, but I thought I'd post it here in case it helps someone else. I tend to keep all my backups on the USB stick, though I do copy them to my computer as well. I figured having them in both places would provide additional protection against losing them. I just had a case where I went to restore the latest backup and the lunchbox just hung when I pressed the Restore button, then eventually went to the startup screen and stayed there. I tried this several times, and even reloaded the OS. Then it dawned on me that the latest OS has an option for letting you choose which backup you wish to restore. I wondered if there were just too many on the stick for it to handle, so whacked all but the latest two. After that, the restore worked perfectly. It's possible that something else was at issue here, but I'm betting not.

I cannot reproduce any issues copying all my available backups to the Backup folder of my USB-stick. Would be usefull to know, where you think the limit is. How many backups were stored on the USB-stick, when you experienced the issue and before you deleted two?

One additional point: Do you still have the backup-file, that you had selected to restore before the issue occured? If so, could you please open a ticket and send that one backup file.

• I cannot reproduce any issues copying all my available backups to the Backup folder of my USB-stick. Would be usefull to know, where you think the limit is. How many backups were stored on the USB-stick, when you experienced the issue and before you deleted two?

One additional point: Do you still have the backup-file, that you had selected to restore before the issue occured? If so, could you please open a ticket and send that one backup file.

I have that backup file, and will send it to you, but I seriously doubt that it's the problem, since it loaded fine after I deleted all the old backups from the USB stick. More likely, it was one of those old backup files (if it wasn't the shear number of them), and I would have no way to know which one.

edit: it occurs to me that I do have all those old backups saved on my PC. I'm not sure exactly how far back I had them still on the USB stick, but will send a lot of them so you have something with which to work.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

Edited once, last by Zappledan ().

• . I wondered if there were just too many on the stick for it to handle, so whacked all but the latest two. After that, the restore worked perfectly. It's possible that something else was at issue here, but I'm betting not.

There was indeed a bug that is triggered by too many (about 34 files) backup files. This is fixed in the next firmware version.

Timo