Atomic CLR vs.Yamaha DXR 10

• Ben,

You are right about comparing two speakers - that is why I asked so many questions. From the video, I wasn't sure if the Yamaha was like a big loud NS-10 (with unforgiving mids and a low end roll off that made them sound a bit boosted) or if the CLR was designed to have a slight mid scoop.

From what you have all said, it wasn't one or the other - BOTH of the speakers have very specific properties in those frequencies - especially when the Yamaha is heard from the woofer side in wedge mode.

Thanks for all the info :)

So - where is that THREE WAY comparison from Southern Michigan? LOL!

• Thanks for your effort dude! :thumbup:

I've been following the CLR story since before they were released. I'm far from home ATM, but IIRC on TGP Mr. Mitchell wrote that his Atomics deliver 70-somekHz within 1,5 dB. I sure believe they're the most transparent and phase-alligned loudspeakers one can buy within as much as double their price.

The consistency of their off-axe response is astonishing as well, and is a point well worth considering IMO: within a 90* solid angle the frequency spectrum is preserved at its best, so that sound doesn't change if you move around or are not alligned with the tweeter. Outside of that range the SPL drops dramatically, so that you don't flood the stage with your sound.

I know, I'm saying nothing scientific here... But what I mean is that they are "the" revolution IMO. YMMV, of course :thumbup:

I believe that those who have not been satisfed with an FRFR approach yet haven't had the possibility to try the CLRs. Hope to have the opportunity to own one or two in a future life... They seem to deliver all the FRFR paradigm's promises at a very low price.

• My thought also... DXR was little quieter on video or was it only my ears??? :wacko: Also 10" vs. 12" could make difference when playing with same profiles and sounds.

And/or I'm nuts. I can definitely say I like the sound of the CLR over the DXR from what I heard. Just seemed less gritty and smooth.

:thumbup: Well played! And, I agree with you about the sound. :)

• First of all I'd like to thank Ingolf for his effort to help us in this never ending quest for the best FRFR solution. Nice playing and nice song too! :thumbup:

Now, am I the only one that would not buy a CLR just from hearing this test? To my ears it sounds a little hyped in the video. I'm sure it doesn't because of all the good reviews I read about it. And, in the same time, because I own one, I know that the DXR10 sounds much shimier in real than what I hear in this clip, so...

• Thanks for the vids ingolf. I've been on the fence about which one of these to purchase to make my foray into the frfr world with the kemper. I had an axe fx ultra in a previous time and tried the atomic reactor wedge with it and it never satisfied me. But from what I've read it was inferior. Anyway I ordered a DXR 10 today. The difference was very negligible in my opinion and I love the size of it in comparison to the CLR.

It's efforts like this that really makes this community great. Thanks again..

Ed

• I can pretty much subscribe everything the previous poster (imselin) said. I'm in the decission making process to purchase a FR solution and the CLR and DXR10 are on the short list. I also had an Axe Ultra and an atomic and it didn't click for me. Judging by the clips Mr. Ingolf kindly took the time to shoot and share with us, the CLR has a slight edge, but it is pointless to judge based on the sound you get from an internet clip with (most likely) crappy computer speakers. Nothing substitutes the "in the room" feeling when trying out gear, but is his opinion I value most, and provided the DXR10 is a big bang for your back, and the form factor is more convenient, I will probably go that route.

Thank you again Ingolf for your time and thorough comparison, much appreciated!.

Best Regards!!!

Matt.

• ... And, in the same time, because I own one, I know that the DXR10 sounds much shimier in real than what I hear in this clip, so...

Pick, funny that you say this about the DXR being more chimey in reality...
    Just yesterday evening I was in a new rehearsal space with my band.
    I had the DXR with me. Dunno why but the sound there was so very trebly compared to the room we are normally in, in such a way that I had to turn down treble and presence quite a bit in monitor EQ in an otherwise well trusted setting.

If I had brought the CLR with me this need for correction should have been extreme I imagine.

Lesson learnt I guess. Tweak your rigs at gig volume, using speakers as flat as possible.
    But when playing out, still expect to do corrections due to the room. Give a trusted signal to FOH and redial yourself in comfortably for your monitoring situation.

• Ingolf thanks for the comparison, but for me it is a little late since I have I ignored and yesterday I got a yamaha DXR10. I have not tested yet is more, I have a concert on Saturday and try I trusted blindly in your comments and on your wise counsel, is that from your experience, good will and good work does not disappoint me the yamaha, but I'm terrified. jajajajj. I hope you continue making our life simple musical. thanks
    work as the company will go after you. hahaha

• Pick, funny that you say this about the DXR being more chimey in reality...
    Just yesterday evening I was in a new rehearsal space with my band.
    I had the DXR with me. Dunno why but the sound there was so very trebly compared to the room we are normally in, in such a way that I had to turn down treble and presence quite a bit in monitor EQ in an otherwise well trusted setting.

If I had brought the CLR with me this need for correction should have been extreme I imagine.

Lesson learnt I guess. Tweak your rigs at gig volume, using speakers as flat as possible.
    But when playing out, still expect to do corrections due to the room. Give a trusted signal to FOH and redial yourself in comfortably for your monitoring situation.

Yes Ingolf, I totaly agree on this!!!

And at the end we always have to trust the soundman ears while sending him the most accurate signal as possible.

For personnal monitoring the goal is to please our ears IMHO! 8o What I like the most from the DXR is the guitar cab feel I get.