Looking for tips on building a consistent sounding performance rig.

• Im finding myself overwhelmed with profiles, amps, cabs, pedals, adjustments.....lots of parts to combine to get the tone.

I'm feeling that my profiles vary too much from one to the next and the shift of tone is abrupt to my ears.

Any suggestions on building rigs & performances, getting different rigs to sound similar enough to be consistent and varied enough to not be redundant would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

• My take on this is:
    Usually I'm pretty happy with only one profile of an amp/cab combination. Just as an example, I really love the Marshall Bluesbreaker Full 2 rig from TAF for my Les Paul. And the variation I need is simply done with Volume & Tone Pod on the guitar and the PU switch. Of course it might be different with other music styles. But for me this is the way I'm completely happy with. If I want something else, soundwise, I take my Stratocaster and for example the Fender Vibrolux Full rig from TAF's Vintage & Rare Bundle ... again using the Volume & Tone Pods and the PU switch. There's so much variation possible with just one rig loaded, no need to switch amps & cabs all the time. :)

I'm pretty sure it just takes a while until you fall in love with a few specific rigs and then you enjoy them without missing a constant change.

• I have a similar take on this.
    1st thing is restriction.
    With my band I use only one profile, the Morgan AC20, to play the whole show, using only a booster and a distortion stomp to get more variety.
    Everything else is done with right hand dynamics and the volume pot.
    Should I feel the wish to expand from there, I would carefully choose another rig.
    OK, I rarely play covers and do mainly my own original music, but even in a cover band I would not use more than 3-4 amps.

• Ok. Just for variety of opinion, here's my take:

Its an amp simulator. It has the ability to sound very different and this is foreign to traditional amp users. Option A has been presented....find a few good profiles that work and build on them.

Option B is what I do...I use several favorites that fit the various styles since I do play in a cover band. I have a 59 Marshall, a Fender Twin, a Bassman, a Mesa Triple Recti, a 5150, and a Fender Champ II that are my baseline tones. They are dialed in for my Strat and the way I play. From there, I build out whatever tones I need per song.

Since you play originals, a single signature tone may be enough for you. Variations with different effects and gains may be all that is required.

bd

• Thanks for the responses.
    I'm playing a strat 90%of the time and rolling back the volume on a strat has a more drastic cut in gain compared to humbucker guitars IMO.
    The Kemper is even more sensitive to that than my tube amps so it's taking some getting used to.

I'm actually having difficulty finding an appropriate higher gain sound as I've dialed in some great mid gain profiles.
    They all have such a different tone structure that they don't "fit" the rest I am using. 8|

• May I ask you if you still use only factory rigs and rigs from the rig exchange? Or have you already bought some rig packs from TAF or Soundside?
    Should be pretty easy to stay in the same "tone structure" if you have rig packs where you're provided with many profiles from clean to high(er) gain from the same amp/cab/mic combination.

• Thanks for the responses.
    I'm playing a strat 90%of the time and rolling back the volume on a strat has a more drastic cut in gain compared to humbucker guitars IMO.
    The Kemper is even more sensitive to that than my tube amps so it's taking some getting used to.

I'm actually having difficulty finding an appropriate higher gain sound as I've dialed in some great mid gain profiles.
    They all have such a different tone structure that they don't "fit" the rest I am using. 8|

You can gain a lot of consistency by choosing a hand full of favourite cabs for different gain settings and then look for the best amp profiles to fit them with.

Start with your facourite rig and lock the cab. Then browse through the different rigs that have similar gain settings. If you find something that you like even more, store this as a favourite. Repeat this process a few times for clean, crunch, hi gain or solo tones. After a few days, make a backup, then revisit your favourites again and then start sorting out the ones that you don´t like that much.

This has helped me a lot in keeping my rig collection a consistent size....

• yes I Agree,
    I go for 3 or 4 different cabs to get a general sound, let's Say one for each Preformance/Band/Situation.
    then complete swithcin Amp ..often the same head with different settings, but it also works with differnt amps,
    I know .. it may sound strange a Champ on a marshall 4x12GB.. or Not. it may add a lil Champ Feeling, you may want in that particoular part of the performance,
    keeping the same ''floor'' as the rest of that performance sounds..
    basically I guess with 3 or 4 cabs, as General Ambient.. and 3 or 4 Amps.. there's the whole tonal palette one 'normal' guitarist 'normally' use.
    the hardest part is to choose them and Stop/Freeze them.. but it seems a never ending Story...we're Always Evolving in the end

• You can gain a lot of consistency by choosing a hand full of favourite cabs for different gain settings and then look for the best amp profiles to fit them with.

Start with your facourite rig and lock the cab. Then browse through the different rigs that have similar gain settings. If you find something that you like even more, store this as a favourite. Repeat this process a few times for clean, crunch, hi gain or solo tones. After a few days, make a backup, then revisit your favourites again and then start sorting out the ones that you don´t like that much.

This has helped me a lot in keeping my rig collection a consistent size....

I'll have to give this a try. :thumbup:

I still need to weed through the 700+ profiles I have on there which has me ovwhelmed. 8|

I'm finding that I like a lot of the Vox profiles which surprised me. The Marshall profiles sound too thin or have too much high end for my purpose yet after playing only them for a while feel they are great sounding. Just next to other rigs they loose all the bottom end. It's simple actually. There are too many good sounding profiles and it takes a bit for my ears to adjust because there is such a difference in the way they sound.

• +1 for using a limited set of cabs.
    I play in a cover band and i dont go for the exact tone but i try to get the tone that feels right. I usually have 2 clean sound 2 crunch and 2 different lead most of the time but when i want to have more options i usually use the same cab and only switch amp. For e.g i try to keep the same cab when using 2 different fender profiles.

We have 2 guitarists in my band, so the rythm guitarist will use the right amp profile for the song for e.g plexi for AC/DC, bassman for stray cats, and i will use one of my standard set of profiles so it sounds different but still consistent and this helps to retain our band's signature tone too.
    Make sure you try your sounds in a band context because they sound very different on their own. Most of the time live you won't hear the subtle difference in tone between similar profiles as opposed to listening on studio monitors. It may be due to the crappy P.A we get most of the time for gigs.

Sorry for the long post but i myself did struggle quite a bit before finding what works for me. It's a long way to the top... If you wanna rock n roll... :)

• It's both the wonder and the downside of the KPA that we have so much choice. Most of us go mad downloading loads of profiles from the Rig Exchange and elsewhere when we first get the box and then just feel completely overwhelmed. Add cabs into the equation and it can become too much!

There's good advice in this thread. Pick 3 or 4 profiles that you really like and set them up for your live work. Try using the same base cab that provides some consistency for your tones. If you don't have Tills cabs then download them (plenty of links here if you search) as they're really good. If you tend to go for Marshall tones, try a V30 cab or maybe try greenbacks to work with Vox tones as well. Don't keep switching just find a cab you like and stick with it. If you get used to your rigs sounding a particular way, when you make a change the difference will be more obvious.

Finally, download the Bogner Goldfinger pack from TAF. That will cover nearly everything and it sounds stellar :)

• It's both the wonder and the downside of the KPA that we have so much choice. Most of us go mad downloading loads of profiles from the Rig Exchange and elsewhere when we first get the box and then just feel completely overwhelmed. Add cabs into the equation and it can become too much!

There's good advice in this thread. Pick 3 or 4 profiles that you really like and set them up for your live work. Try using the same base cab that provides some consistency for your tones. If you don't have Tills cabs then download them (plenty of links here if you search) as they're really good. If you tend to go for Marshall tones, try a V30 cab or maybe try greenbacks to work with Vox tones as well. Don't keep switching just find a cab you like and stick with it. If you get used to your rigs sounding a particular way, when you make a change the difference will be more obvious.

Finally, download the Bogner Goldfinger pack from TAF. That will cover nearly everything and it sounds stellar :)

So true.

Been working with the Goldfinger profile. I really like many of them. The clean is not the best part of it but there are some really good ones on there. Did somebody mention a cab to try with that profile?
    Going to try the Evil Robot one soon.