My metal pack blog (updated 9/8/13)

• Nakedzen,

These are fantastic! I was blasting along with I am the black wizards and it sounded so great! All of these profiles are incredible if you like this style of music. I'd love to have some more Emporer and Dimmu Borgir if you ever get the chance.

Now that you got this great Black Metal pack is there anyway you think you could do a Death Metal pack? I'd love some profiles of Death(Sound of perseverance,Human,Individual thought patterns, Spiritual Healings, and Symbolic, Nile, Cannibal Corpse, Suidakra, Dark Tranquility, Kalmah, Deathklok, Amon Amarth, Tyr, Wintersun. Had to throw in some Viking metal. :)

Keep up the great work!

• Now that you got this great Black Metal pack is there anyway you think you could do a Death Metal pack?

Keep up the great work!

Now that I'm at home sick with a cold for at least this week, it seems, I might as well. It would distract me from the constantly running nose and coughing. :D

Not all of those bands are doable though, they'll end up sounding similar but not really. Cannibal Corpse, Death and Nile tones should be possible to get very close.

EDIT: I tried to do the Rotten Sound tone by boosting the Sansamp with the Fat Drive and got a pretty gnarly tone out of it.

Still not close enough to Rotten Sound, but I uploaded the porofile to the exchange. It's called PSA1 GRINDCORE. I also made a tweaked version for hilarity PSA1 GRINDCORE2.

• Very cool Nakedzen and thanks! Death, Cannibal Corpse and Nile tones would be fantastic!, I especially want to have authentic sounding Death tones if you can make them. Hopefully you can make the ones I listed, but please try to get TSOP tone. I play alot from that album and I love the tone. The others would also be much appreciated as well.

If you can think of anymore Death metal bands you could make tones of feel free to add them as well. The more the better! Your Black metal tones are a huge success!

Thanks for your efforts!

• nakedzen, really great job on the at the gates and hypocrisy tone match. Alot of times it seems the tone match profiles are just missing something, don't sound right, or sound not great double or quad tracked. These really do sound fantastic, and are some of the most brutal profiles I've heard for this type of metal. They really sound organic and "real" to me, like it was the actual guitar tracks from the album. I quad tracked both and played along with the backing tracks and they are damn near identical that is for sure. Thanks for these.

• nakedzen, really great job on the at the gates and hypocrisy tone match. Alot of times it seems the tone match profiles are just missing something, don't sound right, or sound not great double or quad tracked. These really do sound fantastic, and are some of the most brutal profiles I've heard for this type of metal. They really sound organic and "real" to me, like it was the actual guitar tracks from the album. I quad tracked both and played along with the backing tracks and they are damn near identical that is for sure. Thanks for these.

Really nice to hear! 8)

The AtG one was a real b*tch to get right, the original has this "exploding speakers" type distortion to it because of the excessive amounts of gain used on it, I presume.

How I did it was find the part with nothing but guitar, explode the stereo track to two mono tracks, use the mono track for the match eq and take several snapshots with a long spectrum time (from the options menu, 5 or 10 seconds). If the part was shorter than the spectrum time I just did a copy paste of it until it was long enough.

Ozone can be a bit random on the snapshots, it's a good sign if all of them come out almost the same. I also lowered the volume of the reference clip about 6dB to give the plugins some headroom to work with.

I usually did 4 snapshots of the original and 4 snapshots of my own raw tone and and went through which pair of them worked the best (by looping and listening my tone+ozone and the original), then played with the smoothing setting if necessary. If this was not close enough, I'd then adjust the Sansamp settings more, did a new original raw track, then repeat the process.

I'd also add some additional eq tweaks after the Ozone if I felt it was still missing something (usually either too much / too little low end or extreme high end).

I also went for the "exact copy approach", no matter how ugly sounding the original tone was. :D

• Came across this yesterday and the Guitar sound sounded a bit like a SS amp so I thought you might be able to nail that sound for another pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5O1ANZELc

EDIT: just saw they have a Kemper. Gonna go and ask them if they would be kind enough to release the profile :D
    EDIT2: They used the KPA, but their producer re-amped the whole thing with a kemper, however they don´t have the patches. Fuck.

• Here's what I'm working on right now:

Cannibal Corpse: Vile (done), Tomb of the Mutilated (done)
    Dying Fetus: Descend Into Depravity (done), Destroy the Opposition
    Nile: Annihilation of the Wicked
    Behemoth: The Apostasy, Zos Kia Cultus
    Death: Symbolic, Human
    Decapitated: Organic Hallucinosis, Nihility
    Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
    Vader: Welcome to the Morbid Reich
    Napalm Death: Harmony Corruption, Scum
    Carcass: Reek of Putrefaction, Heartwork

Not all of these probably will work properly obviously, but I'll try to get as many as possible.

I'm taking suggestions, not too many though to avoid redundancy. You can only have so many variations of that overly scooped bassy death metal tone. :D

• you got me stoked as hell now. Dying Fetus 8o

This might be a nice addition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPlDUOSeqkQ

I'll check it out, thanks!

Just did Destroy the Opposition, and it came out 100% spot on if I may say so myself. :D

Check out Septic Flesh btw, if you're not familiar with them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsfTQqXleM

An actual symphonic orchestra btw, not any of that synthesizer crap. :thumbup:

Making of doc:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0c-9hueEWs

• T

Just did Reign Supreme, I think it came out pretty good.

I'll do SoP as well, would've forgotten about that! Thanks!

Thanks! I'm glad I reminded you about TSOP! I would have hate to have missed that one. While your at it any chance of Death's Individual thought patterns and Spiritual healing tones as well? :)

This pack is gonna be nuts! I'm really looking forward to it!

OHHHHHH, I cant believe I forgot! anyway you could include some OBSCURA profiles also? That would be killer!

• I'll look into those!

For now it seems that TSOP is out, completely impossible. After 2 hours of tweaking I'm not making any progress. It's a weird tone, has tons of treble but no presence at all. Midrange bark but absolutely no mids. I may give it another go but for now onto other tones.

As a side note I was able to make a surprise tone for the pack. All I'm saying for now it has something to do with doctor's equipment. :D