I've realized traditional cabs is not the way to go

• I'm saving up for an atomic clr or equivalent
    even though I would prefer less possibilities and limit myself to what I would have had in a real life...a giant rack with various tones, but only 1 cab

I would prefer a real cab with a matrix gm50 but I think I've realized the Kemper is not designed to sound the greatest this way....maybe if I used pre amp profiles only, but I do not want to carry a tube power amp. Correct me if I'm wrong, but monitor out with cabs off = will always require tweaking and in'tt he same as that same real amp through the same cab.

I thought going into this that I could profile a few amps , how they sound through my cab, then have that same sound through my cab, but not have to carry the amps. From what I gather, that is not the case. The Kemper can match it, yes, but only going direct into a recording software or atomic cab etc... cause using the monitor off function doesn't equate to the same original tone through that very cab

Let me know if I'm way off base. I'm not coming to this conclusion through experience, only from everything I've read.

In the end, I'll prob be happier carrying around a smaller cab (CLR) just not happy with spending more on digital stuff in the short term

• You are on the right track. FRFR is the way to go....by design of the maker. Running a real cab with "cab off" is a transitional feature for those who just can't make the leap to FRFR. You will never realize the full capability of the KPA running a through a guitar cab.

Close your eyes and jump on in, the water's fine!

bd

• I thought going into this that I could profile a few amps , how they sound through my cab, then have that same sound through my cab, but not have to carry the amps. From what I gather, that is not the case.

hey,

I think in order to achieve your goal, you might want to focus on profiles taken directly from the amp without a cabinet. Sounds like you're going to make your own profiles anyway, so keep this in mind:
    Depending on the power amp you'll be using, the profiles should either be taken from the fx send (meaning: without the poweramp) if you'll be using a tube power amp,
    or from a guitar DI box (meaning: including the power amp's signature) if you'll be using a solid state power amp.

If, however, you want to take full advantage of the many tones the Profiler provides, acknowledging that a big part of a amp's signature is the cabinet (the unfortunately named FRFR route) might make your life easier. ;)

• ... (the unfortunately named FRFR route) ...

I remember CK writing about the abbreviation FRFR some time ago and didn't quite understand his displeasure with this 'term'.

1. FRFR is an easy to search 'term' compared to a term like 'linear' or 'broadband' which are used in many different contexts.

2. I've never owned FRFR speakers so far, but I imagine that these have a way stiffer diaphragm and surrounding compared to regular studio monitors or high fidelity speakers in our living rooms due to the typically much higher sound pressure /volume levels they're used for? (please note the question mark :) )

Cheers
    Martin

• 1. I didn´t get this too. Maybe because there is no such thing as "flat response". Either way i agree that FRFR is an aim, not a product...
    2. I have the same feelings here. Why do studio monitors sound better than high power active speakers? Would stacking studio monitors result in a better FRFR system? Anybody ever tried this?

• I know of CK's aversion against the term FRFR, but I think it should be in Kemper's best interest to embrace it as it attempts to classify a new category of quality amplification for today's modellers/profilers.

It is important IMHO because the quantities of available crap in the PA speakers category is by far greater than with marketed guitar speakers.

In order to exploit the profiler's whole potential (and without being too dogmatic about it) it should be stressed to new users or potential users that the KPA experience can only be as good as the weakest link in the signal chain.
    If more people played decent FRFR solutions the overall acceptance of the profiler would grow much faster.

• Hah, I hate that FRFR expression myself! If anything, call it FR. The last FR is silly 8)

They are fullrange cabinets, nothing more. Or name them by type (eg coaxial) or product name (eg CLR).
    Music is a much more demanding source than electric guitar in judging the quality of such cabinets. When chosing a fullrange cabinet, I surely don't want it to sound good with my guitar but shitty with music. I'd want it to sound good for music and tune my modeler to sound its best through it.
    That said, if I ever go the FR route it would be a coaxial cabinet. I have the impression that they would behave more like a regular cabinet when it comes to sustain, controlled feedback etc.

• hey,

I think in order to achieve your goal, you might want to focus on profiles taken directly from the amp without a cabinet. Sounds like you're going to make your own profiles anyway, so keep this in mind:
    Depending on the power amp you'll be using, the profiles should either be taken from the fx send (meaning: without the poweramp) if you'll be using a tube power amp,
    or from a guitar DI box (meaning: including the power amp's signature) if you'll be using a solid state power amp.

If, however, you want to take full advantage of the many tones the Profiler provides, acknowledging that a big part of a amp's signature is the cabinet (the unfortunately named FRFR route) might make your life easier. ;)

Are there any short or long term plans, for an "onboard" Tube Power amp simulation just before the Cab section? (EL84,EL34,6L6,KT88.....)

Edited 2 times, last by grorig ().

• lightbox and Labrat, power amp simulation is very useful when use PREAMP (without power amp) profiles.
    Send from monitor out to a real tube power amp and guitar cab for on stage monitor,and send from main outs to FOH using the virtual power amp and cab simulation.

• I am still interested in post power section profiles, not pre amp profiles

so from what I read here, if I ditch all the profiles out there and instead only make profiles of a loaded down head (into hotplate) and profile that direct (post power amp) signal, then I coudld get what I originally wanted, my head's tone...without having to carry my head and then "ramping" that identical tone through my cab using a matrix gm50 etc...

I gotta try this

profiling in this manner is easy right? No micing technique required etc...
    I could then record direct with this using impulse responses
    this would be very useful to not have to turn up the amp or load it down allthe time, just use the Kemper

• so from what I read here, if I ditch all the profiles out there and instead only make profiles of a loaded down head (into hotplate) and profile that direct (post power amp) signal, then I coudld get what I originally wanted, my head's tone...without having to carry my head and then "ramping" that identical tone through my cab using a matrix gm50 etc...

I gotta try this

Not sure exactly how different it'll sound, but you'll probably get more correct profiles by using a cabinet as load rather than the Hotplate. It'll unfortunately be way noisier profiling that way though! 8)

• Instead of using the word FRFR (invented by TGP), rather use the word they used at Woodstock in 1969, which was, PA. :)

The reason CK doesn't like the word FRFR is because it really means any PA speaker.