Dr Z Route 66 - New Profile Set 6/9/2014

• I just traded a guitar for a Dr Z Rt66. Over the next week I will be profiling so please let me know if you want something specific. I have an Orange 2 x 12 Closed Back cabinet that had (2) V30's but I switched (1) out to a 12H30.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

Edited once, last by bshaw92 ().

• Oh YES!

We've been waiting for a Route 66 for 20 months...my favourite DR Z. :D
    I've heard it through the "Z Best" cab which has a Celestion Vintage 30 and Celestion G12H30...so you have the perfect speaker setup.

Here's what Mike Fuller of Fulltone Custom Effects had to say about the Route 66:
    "Hey Doc,

When Jeff Jourard brought this Route 66 over I was
    semi-disinterested.....simply because, frankly, I've never played an amp
    made after 1971 that I could stand. So he plugs it in and
    $%#^.....immediately the jaws drop, and we start busting out old Strats,
    old Les Pauls, old SG/LP's ...didn't matter, they ALL sounded great,
    no, spectacular!. So much compression, sustain, harmonics, touch, AND
    when you turned down the guitar, that damned amp cleaned up without
    losing apparent volume to 50 fabulous shades of dirty to semi-dirty to
    clean.

Anyway, thanks for making the best New amp, period...certainly the Best
    amp made in at least the last 30 years, and one of the best amps I've
    ever heard!"

--Mike Fuller, Fulltone

• I have an R144 and an EV mic (Shure Copy). I will try with only the EV as that has worked well on my other profiles. I thought about placing one mic on the V30 and one on the H30, but we will see. I plan to do various settings to try and capture all parameters (within reason). I will save them as follows:

Dr Z 66 B5T5V5 (using the knob reference from 0-10...as there are no numbers, i.e. 5 = 12:00) and then go through the volume range with B & T alternating. If you want something else just let me know. It is early here (eastern time) so give me some ideas and time and I will start profiling tonight or tomorrow night and upload. If you want another mic let me know and if it is reasonable I can see what I can borrow. I liked the recent profiles with the i5 mic it sounded very defined without being too grainy.

• I have an R144 and an EV mic (Shure Copy). I will try with only the EV as that has worked well on my other profiles. I thought about placing one mic on the V30 and one on the H30, but we will see. I plan to do various settings to try and capture all parameters (within reason). I will save them as follows:

Dr Z 66 B5T5V5 (using the knob reference from 0-10...as there are no numbers, i.e. 5 = 12:00) and then go through the volume range with B & T alternating. If you want something else just let me know. It is early here (eastern time) so give me some ideas and time and I will start profiling tonight or tomorrow night and upload. If you want another mic let me know and if it is reasonable I can see what I can borrow. I liked the recent profiles with the i5 mic it sounded very defined without being too grainy.

hi Shaw ! The R144 for sure will give a more Bottom Tight End mixed with the EV mic, but is more work to find the sweet spot, and you will need to be aware of the proximity effect of the R144 ( try distant for room sound) . For sure with only the EV mic you can arrive at great sweet spots . (regarding mics , Royer R121 and Shure SM57 have a classic profiling sound, while the royer is expensive and hard to get , an sm57 is easier)
    Note: The settings i wrote in previous post were in hours related to knob position .

Best of luck on those sweet profiling sessions ! DR. Z are so great , hopefully one day i get one :)

cheers

• Ok the initial stage is started and uploaded. I am going to volume 9 (2-9) (volume 2 up to and including 5 was uploaded) with bass and treble set at 5 (12:00). I will then make changes to the eq (bass and treble) with the same volume range..... as the eq makes a considerable change in dynamics with this amp. These are with two mics (one on the V30 and one on the H30), although the ribbon mic input was set slightly less than the EV. The last one named EV is the EV mic only. The profiles seemed to come out very responsive and dynamic just as the amp is. If you want changes please comment before I continue the process over the next day or so.

Edited 3 times, last by bshaw92 ().

• Lovin these profiles, am managing to get that Joe Bonamassa sound that he had on "Seesaw" the new album he did with Beth Hart, he used a Jim Kelley but these profiles sounding very similar :thumbup:

• Good to hear. Ok it's early here so I will check for comments later today, but based on the comments so far I will keep the current mic arrangement and go through the remaining amp settings for both volume and eq.