Matrix lightweight nl 12

• hi all

Thought I'd share my recent adventure up to Monmouth to visit the home of matrix amplification and cabs.

I was given complete use of all of their different cab designs in my quest to find a partner for my new powered kemper, and wow, these guys really know their stuff, and Andy Hunt, the owner and passionate sound engineer is a fascinating guy. Their avowed quest is to produce solutions that musicians want, but most particularly to deliver solutions that are lightweight and portable. I was allowed to try all sorts of stuff, including some lightweight amps that will take back line amplification by storm, they are rewriting the rule book about how to get amazing guitar tone.

I settled eventually for one of their lightweight nl12 cabs, a 1x12 cab that sounds huge, with a bigger than normal frequency range, which will deliver everything I need for any environment, until Madison square gardens come knocking that is. But the crucial thing is you can carry it with 2 fingers, and as a live rig with my new kemper happily perched on top is perfect, and beautifully portable.

This particular cab isn't full frfr, but is certainly wider than most, and for me gave me a live reproduction of all my lovely kemper amps that is brilliant, and I can take it anywhere.

There is loads of stuff in development though and Andy is passionate about the future, for anyone interested check out their site, and give him a call, he is delighted to talk through your needs and find the solution.

Watch out tho, there is some industry busting stuff coming, and I reckon what he is doing for amplification is as radical as the kemper has been, one to watch kemper fans!

• I didn't try the q12, but they did have a range of cabs and the nl12 was just great, and so lightweight, it is a difficult judgement as it's so personal, they do have others available and andy there works closely with ck, so knows the kemper well

He's very happy to chat as well so maybe get in touch, he is a very passionate guy, so fascinating to talk to