I'm really looking forward to more stomp box OD och distorsion models

• Profile pedals and use in the b or c slot would be great

Top 5

Tim, Klon, Hot Cake, Zendrive or Howie, Emerald Green Distortion or Honey Bee

The Kemper Profiling Amp is the best musical invention since the Electric Guitar and the Marshall Amp .

• I made a quick comparison between the Green Scream and an old TS9. By ear the TS9 got more "harmonic distortion" and is smoother in the top end. All in all a would prefer the TS9 (BUT it generates more noise). What ever... :)

• I made a quick comparison between the Green Scream and an old TS9. By ear the TS9 got more "harmonic distortion" and is smoother in the top end. All in all a would prefer the TS9 (BUT it generates more noise). What ever... :)

once again I'd like to point out this excellent article about TS pedals by JBroll :)

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346068

btw. CK altered the Green Scream a bit according to the wishes of our users and this new model is based on a Maxon OD808, which seemed to be the preferred TS in this discussion.

with modeled pedals it's always important to turn the knobs by ear, instead of matching o'clock positions.
    the resistance value of pots and their taper have quite some tolerance, so there is for example no 'TS with tone at noon' sound.

• So why not alter that so it matches the real pedals?

• Jcaster You seem to miss the point DonPeterson has been trying to make: What is "the real" pedal? What DonPeterson has been trying to say by referring to the link is that all of those TubeScreamers seem to differ dramatically when it comes to the potentiometers and what they do to the sound. So it's hard to find any real world TubeScreamers even of the same brand that are comparable. On one, 12 o'clock on the tone knob might be quite harsh, on another 12 o'clock is rather dull.

Yet, I still agree that it might be very tempting to have more OD options. I for one use the Butler TubeDriver in front of the KPA; it doesn't work however as a distortion loop and after the Muff for example.

Profiling OD pedals technically should be no problems - obviously the profiling process can analyse the overdrive / distortion parameters of an amp / cabinet or even a OD pedal / amp / cabinet setup - so that should work. The problem is that we can't load it into the stomp section and put it in front of an amp.

It might be true that the EQs can offer some extra options when boosting an amp. On the other hand, there are OD models in the KPA and I don't see why it should be impossible to cover more ground with these. For example a Muff with more parameters to reflect the various Muff-types / an overdrive with more parameters to reflect the various colorations of real pedals. I don't see why the KPA experts should not be capable of coming up with something like that. And I know that (I guess it's Burkhard) is a stomp-freak himself ... so there's hope?!

• I don't see how it's possible to profile a pedal.At least in a way it will become relevant and usable.

I still believe modelling is the way to go in this scenario,and the models in kemper are really weak.The other modelling effects in the unit ranges from good to amazing,but the od pedals are the Achilles heel.

Ps : The tube screamer is the most decent i can agree with that.

• I still believe modelling is the way to go in this scenario,and the models in kemper are really weak.The other modelling effects in the unit ranges from good to amazing,but the od pedals are the Achilles heel.

can't agree here.

do you have the analog counterparts to compare the models to?

I have most of them - and no issues whatsoever with the models.

in fact the Model of the DS1 is so close to the original, that I can't stand it - just like the original. ;)

• I have to agree, have done direct A/B tests between the Green Scream and my MXR GT OD and cannot tell the difference, was very very impressed !!!!

• Will have to disagree on this as many also do(and i also had/have many of the models that are reproduce in Kemper).

A few months back i took my Kemper to a friends house who as an Axe II to do a face of,the od section of that unit blow Kemper to pieces.
    It was really the only thing i was really jealous about the axe because in terms o amp tone even my friend preferred the Kemper due to some amazing profiles on the unit.

It's the Achilles heel,i love the unit and use it almost on a daily basis but i won't lie about this.Even out of this forum and in other well known gear forums the Od section seems to be a common complain about the unit.
    I understand that being an effects processor isn't the main propose of the kemper(and the Axe falls a lot more in this category) ,but it's really weird how the od section is so much weaker than the other modeled effects.

Ps : And im getting the feeling after these posts it won't ever change,but i can live with that i guess.

• do you have the analog counterparts to compare the models to?

I have most of them - and no issues whatsoever with the models.

in fact the Model of the DS1 is so close to the original, that I can't stand it - just like the original. ;)

Same here, I always hated the DS1 ;)
    The Tubescreamer got very close to my original after the tweaks that came with a firmware at one point.

But I'm really disappointed with the Big Muff. It might be a case of you modelling the wrong version. For the better part of the last 20 years no EHX built Muff sounds anything like an old 70s one, the actual circuit was completely different. People keep searching Ebay for older ones or have modders like analogman rebuilding the circuit. Maybe you should copy one of the clones or even a vintage original.

• A super cool way to solve those issues would be the implementation of an OD/fuzz/preamp profiling menu on the KPA.

Those little pedals seem to be as different from one to one than tube amps can be (even in a similar serial range).

The history of OD stomps is almost as long as the guitar amps , so we should easily end up with hundreds or stomps profiles to play with, that would be a new killer feature for the KPA.

The alternative of profiling your amp with a stomp in the input is too restricted.

• Once again I would like to point out that technically, profiling a stomp distortion or overdrive should be no problem for a group of experts who manage to suck the soul out of a tube amp and to represent it digitally.

• I'm really not sure how feasible a dirtbox modeling feature would be, but I'm guessing not very. I'm also aware that the Kemper team doesn't think stompboxes other than the ones already included would be all that useful, hence the small quantity of them in the KPA. However it's probably been noticed that both the current userbase and potential new customers see this as a weakness and would like to see more distortion pedals available, and I wouldn't be surprised if for some this would be a deal breaker - guitarists are crazy about dirtboxes, most of the ones I know have tried at least a dozen and keep at least half of that either in their pedalboards or in storage.

So why not give the public what they want? It can't be that hard, the Green Screamer is proof that the Kemper team can produce great models of stompboxes if they want to.

So here's a suggestiion: instead of implementing stompbox modeling, why not create a few extremely flexible pedal models that can be tweaked to sound like lots of different physical pedals?

I'd probably create two of them: Flex-OD and Flex-Fuzz (you can use the names if you want, I don't mind).

The Flex-OD could have parameters like:
    level, tone and gain: with enough range to cover a lot of different pedals
    input low cut: would have the same effect varying the value of a capacitor in series with the input, that is, low cut at the input stage
    positive forward voltage: this would be the forward voltage of one of the diodes in the negative feedback loop of the opamp, the higher the value the "grainier" or "raunchier" the OD effect

negative forward voltage: same as above for the other diode in the negative loop of the opamp, using the same value for both diodes would result in symmetrical clipping, otherwise it would produce asymmetrical clipping (where the positive and negative halves of the waveform have different soft clip points)

As for the Flex-Fuzz:

level, tone and gain: same as above (I especially miss lower gain fuzzes in the KPA)
    input low cut: same as above

Now here's the catch: fuzz pedals often interact with the guitar circuit and give different results depending on pickups, volume and tone controls in the guitar. Since this kind of interaction isn't possible with the KPA, I'd include a virtual RLC circuit simulation that could be made to mimic a few different guitars in order to make the FlexFuzz behave like some very sought after fuzz pedals like the Fuzz Face for instance.

• To all who think it impossible to profile a dirtbox. Before you played a Kemper, did you think it was possible to accurately profile a tube amp? Personally, when I want a higher gain tone I simply select a higher gain profile. But it really shouldn't be too difficult to implement a profiling feature for dirtboxes IF the code behind the dirtboxes is as thought out as the code behind the amp profiles. What we're really talking about here is setting behind the scenes parameters to mimic the analyzed response of a signal sent to a dirtbox. Given that that process is already implemented in the KPA for amps, if things were written in a modular nature it makes sense that it could be ported to the dirtbox section as well. Now, of course the team has their priorities and likely many ideas already in the pipeline. I hate to say it, but a feature like this might make more sense to either save for a future model with more power or release it in a pedal format featuring just dirtbox modeling...

• But I'm really disappointed with the Big Muff. It might be a case of you modelling the wrong version. For the better part of the last 20 years no EHX built Muff sounds anything like an old 70s one, the actual circuit was completely different. People keep searching Ebay for older ones or have modders like analogman rebuilding the circuit. Maybe you should copy one of the clones or even a vintage original.

the older Muffs are notorious for having very large tolerances in component values and even the transistors are all over the place.
    on top of that, take any two guitar players and ask them about their favourite BM.
    no two of them will likely agree. :)

choices had to be made, and it's impossible to please everyone.

• Once again I would like to point out that technically, profiling a stomp distortion or overdrive should be no problem for a group of experts who manage to suck the soul out of a tube amp and to represent it digitally.

plug a stompbox in a speakersim and profile that.
    chances are, you'll get very good results already.
    (unless there are multiple distorting gain stages in series as CK mentioned)

so what you're asking for is already there, but you'll need two profilers. :)