Real or Fake

• When I check a modeler, a digital guitar (VG, Variax, ..) or a profile - in most cases will the fun noises a guitar can create when hitting, muting ... the guitar strings reveal if it sounds real or fake.

How do you check it?

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• As long as the final sound coming out of a unit is the sound I looked for it's fine for me.
    Doesn't matter if it's real or fake, I don't care. By the way: What's real and what's fake?
    How would you classify a fat Marshall Tube head running thru a single 5" speaker (virtually created) giving you the wanted sound?
    Is it still a real Marshall or a fake?
    Anyway ... Let your ears decide!

• Yes, you are right - the ears decide.

A friend of mine thought his (cheaper) box would sound about the same as the KPA.
    So when only comparing some recorded sounds - we found that the cheaper box can create great sounds as well.

The difference is when we play it (feel) and when turning the volume pod (dynamic) as well when playing the mentioned 'guitar noises' - the cheaper box sounds more 'fake' or 'plastic'.

The same I found when comparing the Variax guitar models with the real guitars.
    (the new Varias HD has improved a lot - but not for all models).

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I know what you mean. For me, the Kemper is completely indistinguishable from the real thing. I've not had another unit as responsive as it is. I can still plug in a Digitech or Zoom device and get some very good sounds which I'd be happy to use. However, none of the lower end devices I've owned in the past is as responsive nor reacts as much to different guitars the way the Kemper does. However, the bigger question is whether the price premium is worth it to most users and I think the answer there is no, especially since a vast majority of users are running their devices into the returns of traditional amps, which IMHO goes a long way towards leveling the playing field. But direct, man the Kemper is incredible.