James Tyler Variax with a Kemper?

• Is anyone playing a James Tyler Variax with their Kemper? The JTV looks like it would be a great solution for one guitar with one amp that would cover a whole lot of ground. I'm wondering if the JTV plays and sounds good, or is it like the other Line 6 gear that I find very synthetic and sterile. Any opinions? I'd love to hear what people think.

• I'ld like to know that as well. I just got a JTV89 to gut to make a lefty, but am not quite sure if I'm 100% sold on the sound. I 'm gonna download the new HD firmware which is susposed to be an inprovement befor I make my decision, but hard to play it upside down and get a true feel. ?(

• I'm using the Roland VG Strat, which is similar to the JT Variax. I've upgraded everything on it other than the Roland electronics, and it's actually a very nice guitar. For a live gig it's definitely got some advantages, such as when you need to switch from acoustic to electric guitar tone.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• My Variax 300 (older generation) transplanted in a Warmoth guitar is an usefull tool and the sound is convincing enough to make me buy some "real" guitars! In the counterpart my Kemper is convincing enough to make me sell some real amps!

I don't know about the new JTVs but I think that a guitar profiler would be the ultimate tool! :D

• My Variax 300 (older generation) transplanted in a Warmoth guitar is an usefull tool and the sound is convincing enough to make me buy some "real" guitars! In the counterpart my Kemper is convincing enough to make me sell some real amps!

I don't know about the new JTVs but I think that a guitar profiler would be the ultimate tool! :D

My Kemper is convincing enough I'm in the process of selling "ALL" my amps. Three down and two to go.

• I did not like the old Variax - the new one is a little bit better (sound wise) and much better (features, playability).

Since the new HD update is the new one ok.

I would not sell my real guitars for it.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I did not like the old Variax - the new one is a little bit better (sound wise) and much better (features, playability).

Since the new HD update is the new one ok.

I would not sell my real guitars for it.

Hey! Armin, would you think that the new JTV HD electronic is better enough to worth of replacing the 300 guts by the new one in my Warmoth transplant Variax? Of course If I find a cheap (dent and scratch) one on the used market...

• I've played a couple of them on several occasions, both on Kempers and tube amps, since I'm quite attracted by the features and possibilities, but everytime I play a JTV, I miss something...

As a guitar (playing with the actual pickups), it's not bad, but it's not awesome either, but especially when using the "modelling" sounds, something is lacking, some sort of vibe.

For me it's like using a Pod XT or X3 instead of a Kemper or tube-amp, it's fun for a bit, but it's not there yet,it's too much of a toy and not the real thing yet.

so I'm waiting for Kemper to bring out the "Guitar Profiling Guitar" or something :thumbup:

But don;t take anyone's word for it, I'd say, the best and actually only way to know whether it's worth it for you and whether you can tell the difference, is by going to a store and trying it out for a while....

• I'm using my Kemper mainly with a JTV-59. Been tracking things mostly with the JTV's mag pickups so far, but have been doing a bit with the modelled stuff and altered tunings. I also have an old blue Variax 700, and the JTV is a vastly better instrument. Plays great, looks great, sounds great. I was using the JTV with a Pod HD500, and a a DT25 head/cab - a setup which I really liked. Then came the Kemper. I would say the difference between the Variax 700 and the JTV59 is similar to the difference between the POD HD500 and the Kemper - obviously the two are a completely different ballpark, and meant to be so, but you get my drift. I'm feeling fairly confident that the combination of the JTV59 and the Kemper is going to allow me to record just about any tone I could desire! Still freaking out about the organic nature of this awesome device, a month on after getting a lunchbox from Sweetwater...The Amp Factory, Soundside.de, and Pete's Profiles have been quite a boon as well!

• I recently acquired a JTV-69S. It needs a bit of massaging of the frets to get into playable condition, but otherwise it seems to be a good guitar. I'll be sure to post clips. I'm probably going to tack on a Roland pickup to maximize the geek factor. :)

You may want to check out the new HD firmware Line 6 just released for all the JTV Variaxes.

• I recently acquired a JTV-69S. It needs a bit of massaging of the frets to get into playable condition, but otherwise it seems to be a good guitar. I'll be sure to post clips. I'm probably going to tack on a Roland pickup to maximize the geek factor. :)

You may want to check out the new HD firmware Line 6 just released for all the JTV Variaxes.

The JTV-69 Strat is the one I'm interested in. How close is the neck profile to Fender's standard Modern C?

• I have a JTV-69 that I use occasionally. My main axe is a Tyler SE. The JTV is awesome for those odd tunings or weird mid song transitions you need to make.

Yesterday, we did a Taylor Swift song where I needed to go between a banjo and regular electric rig.

I use the HD500 as a midi controller for the Kemper. HD500 for most effects and to control the JTV.

One patch is the JTV as a banjo going digitally to the HD500 through spidf to the Kemper input. Kemper using an Avalon pre profile direct to house.

Mid song i change the HD500 patch and it adds delay, switches to the analog pickups, and changes the Kemper to a profile of my 3rd Power amp using the same direct to house di. I just adjust the levels between patches in the Kemper for our FOH guy.

Works amazingly well.

• Is anyone playing a James Tyler Variax with their Kemper? The JTV looks like it would be a great solution for one guitar with one amp that would cover a whole lot of ground. I'm wondering if the JTV plays and sounds good, or is it like the other Line 6 gear that I find very synthetic and sterile. Any opinions? I'd love to hear what people think.

I've tested several Variaxes. The JTVs are to the older models what the KPA is to a L6 POD, a vast improvement. The US custom models are excellent instruments just using the magnetic pickups. The korean-built models are similar, but do require some work on the frets. I bought a JTV59, and given a plek-job it is very close to the $2500 US custom model. I do however question reliability. The electronics failed on mine, and it took the distributor 2-1/2 months to diagnose it only to report that they couldn't fix it and that I would get a new one

• Is anyone here with a JTV, switching models with MIDI ? If so what are you using to do this? I just got a JTV89 and before I gut it to make a lefty, I need to know. I origionally was gonna try and do a RACKVAX but they are apparently out of buis.

• AFAIK, you would have to interface through a Line 6 POD of some sort...any POD that has the Variax input. You wouldn't need to use the POD sounds; but it is necessary to achieve the remote guitar model selection, I believe.

• Is anyone here with a JTV, switching models with MIDI ? If so what are you using to do this? I just got a JTV89 and before I gut it to make a lefty, I need to know. I origionally was gonna try and do a RACKVAX but they are apparently out of buis.

The VDI-interface to control the variax-circuitry is proprietary and will only work with a L6 POD. A separate midi-interface that works without a POD is on the list of feature requests for the variax.I personally wouldn't use it anyway unless the connection to the guitar also was made wireless which VDI isn't. It isn't much of a problem to dial in a model manually, except possibly in bright sunlight where the LED-indicators on the controls are invisible.

• Thamks for the replies. I feared that was the only way. How do the users here find the model accuracy (usability) of the line 6 JTV sounds. I'm really torn. I have a GR55 and use some of the guitar sounds from it, but only use the KPA for the amps and effects. ?( ?( ?( ?(