New Johnson JM-150 Black Face Profile Posted

• I just posted a profile of the Black Face model from an old Johnson JM-150 Tube/Modeling Hybrid amp.

The JM-150 was really a much better amp than most folks realize, even though it was a modeling amp. Not as good as a real tube amp, and nowhere near as good as the Kemper, but pretty good all the same. I always found it fell short on the really high gain stuff. I always liked the Black Face model and so I decided to profile it on the Kemper. While it is not exactly like a true Fender Black Face, it is still a nice sounding amp.

Oh, yeah! I added a TS Distortion stomp up front, off by default. It really makes a nice crunchy sound!

Profile: JM150 Black Face Clean

Please remember to rate the profile if you try it.

Thanks!

• Hi AxeMan, I have tried this profile.. nice sound.. but extreme clipping on master knob.. I have to set volume to -9dB and still have some blinking orange and red on master button..hm..

tried also your Egnater profiles and find them very interesting!! :thumbup:

• Hi AxeMan, I have tried this profile.. nice sound.. but extreme clipping on master knob.. I have to set volume to -9dB and still have some blinking orange and red on master button..hm..

tried also your Egnater profiles and find them very interesting!! :thumbup:

I did notice that too. I'm not sure why this happens. I've noticed it on an AC30 Top Boost profile I got somewhere too. It seems to occur mostly with hotter pickups, and mostly in the bridge position. I would love to know what situation makes this occur so I can avoid it.

As for the Egnater profiles, I'm glad you find them interesting. Those were profiled with dead neutral EQ on the amps and left that way on the profiles. The idea was to present them in a neutral state so folks would HAVE to adjust the EQ to their liking, just like with the real amps. The profiles I do are intended to sound like a raw miced amp, rather than a produced, recorded amp. I felt the profiles sounded good enough as they were to entice users to EQ them to get a sound they like, rather than EQing to MY liking. I have EQ'd them to my liking on my Kemper, just not on the Rig Exchange.

However, in profiling the Carvin XV-212, I found that the amp itself does not sound so good in a neutral EQ state. So, although I did profile it with neutral EQ to accurately capture the tone of the amp's circuits, I did EQ the profiles on the Kemper before posting them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and findings! Much appreciated!

• you´re welcome :)

AxeMan, it´s all due to the cab.. try to save only the cab section of your own profile and after that try to use it on different profiles and you will see (also hear) what happens.. it has incredible basses.. heavy clipping is due to those incredible basses..

Carvin profiles I do not like.. but maybe they will work with someone else.. but anyway, thanks for your effort and time!

• I hadn't thought to look at the cabinet profile! I'll check that out.

As for the Carvin profiles, I expected they would not be for everybody. The amp is the same way. It has a unique voice which is not great by itself (except for the clean channel). I've kept the amp because it can be good for layering with other guitar amps in a recording. Now that I've got the amp profiled, I can part with it.

Thanks again!