On the fence between Kemper Profiling Amp and Axe FX II

• I don't play live and I am not in a band, I just like to compose and play my own music at home. I love the guitar and I love a lot of various styles of music. My favorite guitar tones are the melodic tones of David Gilmour, or Mark Knopfler. But I also love the searing guitar sounds of Jimmy Page and the classic blues sound of T Bone Walker or BB King.

I have exactly your same situation and musical taste.
    I believe that And44 and Armin, along with their deep knowledge of these machines have made a very good summary.

Moreover, since you are a fan of Mr. Gilmour like me and many others here, I suggest you to listen to my latest couple of video on you YT account to see the powerful of the KPA. They have been recorded directly on the USB Audio interface of my PC without any additional EQ, Effects or Post-Processing...

• I recommend the OP to try both units and learn them well, that's the only way to know what you prefer.
    I've used the Axe Fx 2 for a long time and after seeing many guitar and studio friends selling their Axe fx 2 getting kempers I got very interested. Now I have gained a good user experience with both units and I often compare them for fun. They sure do different things with very different technology and algorithms (modeling vs profiling) and I can get great sounds from both. With both the kemper and Axe I can easily adjust and create my own sounds and also transform a sound into something completely different far from the original amp.

The absolutely most important part for me is authentic amp sound and playing feel and this is where the kemper really shines and why I prefer playing the Kemper amps and cabs over the Axe fx 2. No other product can do this new profiling thing so it's not hard to understand why bands and producers now use the kemper in their work. For the first time we guitar players don't have to rely on a company to come up with their own programmed modeled interpretation of how they think the amps should behave and sound. With the kemper the users are the amp creators from the direct source, resulting in almost unlimited profile sound options and that was not possible before.
    We all have a user preference with all gear we play and compare and the bottom line is I prefer the kemper because it sounds and feels better to me when playing and comparing them. I then see it as a bonus that the kemper is a whole lot easier for me to use and brand new amp profiles are shared daily. I'm sure the Axe fx III will get a similar Kemper front panel layout and most I know find that design more plug and play and user friendly. Worth mentioning is that the price difference is big and in Europe the Axe fx 2 costs about $1000 more than the Kemper.

For me no digital box can do all the cool and best effects so I like having options. The Axe fx 2 has a lot more crazy effects, but there are several effects that I prefer in the Kemper so having many gear options is good. Like most players I've never needed advanced complex routings and both units offer more than I need for that. I've never used the Axe fx or pods built in usb interfaces and just like the majority of all home/studio users I have a dedicated sound interface that is capable of so much more than a limited built in interface.

A huge difference is that the Axe fx 2 can't profile, and the traditional eq copy tone matching feature in the Axe fx 2 that they copied from computer DAW plugins is very simple and cheap to do in any computer DAW for over ten years now. Even with the latest Axe fx 2 firmware I always find myself jumping between amps and sounds from different older firmwares. I just find each Axe firmware different, not always better or as fractal call it, 100% real, even though that's been said and hyped for many years now for every update.
    From the beginning every version of axe fx units have constantly needed firmware upgrades to sound more real, unlike the kemper. It really is an impressive achievement by Kemper to offer this sound and feel from the start without any changes needed, and as far as I understand they won't alter the sounds in the future which is good. I don't think changing the original user created profiles would be very popular.
    Both these boxes release frequent firmware and feature updates so it is great to be a guitarplayer these days.

Edited once, last by orko ().

• Here another reason from the FAS man himself:

The Kemper feels really weird to me. There's this strange "plock plock" in the pick attack. The distortion doesn't sound realistic to me either which isn't surprising since it lumps all the distortion into one adjustable waveshaper and doesn't model the nonlinearity around the origin.

Some people love it though (especially those who sell profiles ;-). Different strokes...

I see another tweak knob comming up in the new FW. The plock plock controller. :D

To plock plock or not to plock plock yhat is the question!

Edited once, last by DADA ().

• OK, moving on, next discussion please... :D

"Thanks for the reply here, Scott. I plan on ordering the Axe FX II as
    soon as it is available in September. Sorry that you are getting
    attacked from some of the other members for voicing an opinion. I really
    appreciate the feedback from talented people such as yourself.

In fact, most of the guitar players that I most admire from youtube and
    other places around the net all seem to prefer the Axe FX II to the
    Kemper. Some have tried both, some don't see any reason to try something
    else.

I asked David Wallimann via email that if he could have one or the other
    devices, if he would choose the Axe FX II again and he replied with a
    definite "yes". Player's love their Axe.

However, the Kemper is a strong second. There are quite a few ex Axe FX
    II players who now prefer the Kemper. It is wonderful to live in a free
    society with lots of options"

• Cliff is showing his classy bashing side once again this year.
    Let's hope he develops a new axe firmware with built in ethics ABC school, PR and CEO aggression control. :thumbup:

I think the OP should be aware that Cliff Chase, the CEO of Fractal has been bashing the kemper long before it was released and he continues to do so frequently and he's spread false technical information about it. Cliff is the only company CEO I've seen that is infamous for repeatedly trash talking other brands and products on forums so it must be discussed so we users are aware what's going on.
    Some of Cliff's posts have been deleted on TGP but he continues to behave in this strange way on his own fractal forum.
    Anyone exposing his strange behaviour on the TGP or fractal forum will be punished by the moderators there protecting him and the post and thread will be deleted. It really is a parody and sad to see his lack of business ethics as a company CEO, he's just giving fractal a bad reputation.

He's trying to gain market leverage by spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) hoping that users will doubt other competing products.
    It's normal that some players and users will always debate or bash aggressively and prefer either Stratocasters or Les Pauls and other gear, but it's on a completely different level when a company CEO does that to other brands.
    Some companies do get in legal trouble for using FUD tactics, several examples in this FUD history link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

"Fear, uncertainty and doubt, frequently abbreviated as FUD, is a tactic used in sales, marketing, public relations,[1][2] politics and propaganda.
    FUD is generally a strategic attempt to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information. An individual firm, for example, might use FUD to invite unfavorable opinions and speculation about a competitor's product; to increase the general estimation of switching costs among current customers; or to maintain leverage over a current business partner who could potentially become a rival.
    The term originated to describe disinformation tactics in the computer hardware industry but has since been used more broadly.[3] FUD is a manifestation of the appeal to fear."

Here are some threads showing Cliff's dazzling display of Burgundy class.

In this thread Cliff makes up a fantastic tear jerking story that fractal is under an organized full scale attack by one company.
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…oduct-This-sounds-insane/?
    Cliff quote:
    "It's been a bit stressful lately. A certain company, that shall remain unnamed, has launched an all-out guerrilla marketing campaign against us. All kinds of dirty tactics......."

2013 jan 7. "Any Kemper users here" Post 44, page 3.
    Cliff quote: "Kemper's dirty little secret is that internally it only runs at 22.05 kHz."
    http://forum.fractalaudio.com/…-kemper-users-here-3.html
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…below-LOW-even-for-Cliff/?
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…ency-content-above-11kHz/?

Cliff also display his amazing PR skills when saying his Kemper was very flaky and didn't start and how inferior it is on TGP...
    He's got true anchorman class :D

• Hey, I am not ruling out the Kemper. I plan on getting it as soon as it comes into stock at Guitar Center. I want to compare both, in my own room, with my own guitars.

There are still a lot of positives about the Kemper that I want to find out for myself and if it is a dead heat between the Axe and the Kemper. The Axe goes back and the Kemper stays because it will save me $600.00.

• That's funny, my experience has been the exact opposite of this. I've seen a lot of what I thought were awful players demoing the AxeFXII and on the other hand lots of incredible players demoing the Kemper... So much so I have serious doubts about how good the "amp feel" in the AxeFXII is, as the image I have of its market niche is people with too much money in their pockets but little real talent for music. And before anyone tries to play the Steve Vai card here, as far as I know he only uses it for effects, which I'm sure are stellar, however I'm talking specifically about the amp modeling.

• Haha :D Read the thread over at the Fractal forum. Well, everyone should decide for themselves. Don't let strangers on the internet convince you of what's good and bad. Back in the days I assumed that humans had an at least somewhat similar set of ears. We don't. And we also have vastly different preferences. "Good" and "bad" means absolutely nothing coming from these strangers. Nada. Being good with words does not equal having good ears. Someone you are familiar with, or that has the ability to really describe characteristics in a somewhat scientific and sensible way, may of course be taken into account, but in the end there's nothing other than your own ears that should decide. I've been burnt EVERY time I've listened to the internet crowd. What a hype machine.

I notice the reapeating claim that the Axe is tweakable and personal, and the Kemper is snapshots with minimal tweakability. I've used both extensively. Had the Axe for over a year and dived into every friggin' parameter. The Kemper have much less parameters but it is still VERY tweakable. The difference is, you can't adjust every component value in the imaginary amp, but you have a selected set of parameters that really makes musical sense. I should make a video showing how far a single profile can be tweaked....

Valuable info from the internet crowd would be hard facts. Base options on that and select between these yourself. But the OP already came to that conclusion anyway! 8)

• I have exactly your same situation and musical taste.
    I believe that And44 and Armin, along with their deep knowledge of these machines have made a very good summary.

Moreover, since you are a fan of Mr. Gilmour like me and many others here, I suggest you to listen to my latest couple of video on you YT account to see the powerful of the KPA. They have been recorded directly on the USB Audio interface of my PC without any additional EQ, Effects or Post-Processing...

Actually I had seen your video before I started this thread. It is what made me think that a Kemper would work better for me as I have a very specific set of tones that I like and I don't really need to tweak my own unique sound.

Usually my fingers give me the uniqueness to my playing not my amp.

Anyway, I was blown away by your video and appreciate your comments. It sounds like you have a good taste in music. :thumbup:

• And before anyone tries to play the Steve Vai card here, as far as I know he only uses it for effects, which I'm sure are stellar,

I can confirm this.
    I have an account at Jamplay, and I asked his fellow guitarist Dave Weiner during a live chat about how they used the Axe : effects only.

• I never understood why all the angry words about this Axe vs KPA vs tube amps.

AxeFx and KPA are great products - try both - use the one which works best - or get both.

btw I will buy the AxeFx III as soon as it is available ...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

I never understood why all the angry words about this Axe vs KPA vs tube amps.

AxeFx and KPA are great products - try both - use the one which works best - or get both.

Is There a release date? ;)

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5110 mit Tapatalk 4 Beta

• I never understood why all the angry words about this Axe vs KPA vs tube amps.

Ditto here. I would've thought that the names give the game away. aFX or kpAmp :thumbup:

• Ears are different too - some will not even hear the very loud and annoying fan in the AxeFX II - how can they hear the sound differences?

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de