Mark Knophler presets?

• Hi, anyone who has a very good Mark Knophler presets?

Which period are you thinking of?

The early Dire Straits sound is captured dead on by the '63 Vibrolux profiles from ampfactory (Mark used that amp on the recordings). Take the inbetween Bridge and middle pickup setting of a maple neck strat and call it a day. Andy has capture the amp much like they probably did when recording Sultans, so this is as close as you can get.

If you are looking for a non-commercial profile just try Alexis Boyers '64 Vibroverb, one of the best hairy cleans with the gain backed up a bit.

The "Brothers in Arms" Sound was a '66 JTM45 nearly dimed and the neck pickup of a Les Paul. Search for the JTM50 black flag profiles by Joptunes on the Rig Exchange. There are several profiles that are really close to that sound and one that was profiled with Mark's actual Settings - taken from the recording of "Between gas and TV" from one of his current Albums.

Actually the Joptunes profiles are amongst the very finest Marshall profiles out there. It is a vintage '67 JTM he profiled, one of the holy grails. It also works well for a lot of other things than MK ;)

Edit:

For a true early Straits sound you'd need a compressor very early in the chain. Mark did use an Orange Squeezer, an pretty odd device which adds a bit of distortion. So that part of the sound might get tricky and you need to experiment a bit.

Also the chorus (and main riff) of Sultans was done with a slight chorus, probably added at mix time and very likely something from Roland. Try the Air Chorus for that part of the equation.

• If you go to the "Sultans" preset and play around with it a bit, you might get where you want to be with a little tweaking.

• [YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [ /YOUTUBE]

• Just new to the forum, and saw this post! I am a huge Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler fan, and like his tone and feeling. I was eager to listen to the "Sultan" preset, but it was faraway from any Knopfler sound i have ever heard..maby if you remove a lot of stuff you can get into the tone. I hav not downloaded any form ampfactory yet, but it seems difficult to get exactly the "new strings" feeling that you hear in most good tube amps and especially in Knopflers tone.. ex. Where do you thing youre going, Golden heart and so on..

I have manage to get a very good clean from AC-clean. I am nearly where i have my favourite tone on my tube amp, but compared side by side it lacks a bit complexity... trough a PA i think the difference evens out! I play on Tom Anderson guitars and also a Fender Strat, with HB in bridge. When i get my Uno4 kemper i am taking it with me live, and i look forward to that!