Future of the Kemper

• So in a few weeks I plan on jumping the Gun and buying a Kemper.
    But my question is, Is it too late? I don't want to end up like those
    who bought the stand Axe FX and then have the Axe FX 2 come out...

Is Kemper planning on some serious software upgrades, floor boards and so on
    for the first Kemper or will the hardware already be capped in a year or so?

I know good programming goes a looong way but it would be great if Kemper
    upgraded the CPU ( or allowed users to send in ), or even make the product
    with CPU upgrades compared to that of a pc ( plug and play pretty much )

• ... it would be great if Kemper
    upgraded the CPU ( or allowed users to send in ), or even make the product
    with CPU upgrades compared to that of a pc ( plug and play pretty much )

I wouldn't bet a single cent on this to ever happen. And to be honest, I don't like the idea because it complicates things more than it helps. There would be profiles that work on an upgraded system but not on a "vintage" system without having an obvious distinction. No, I think the Profiler will have some more years with frequent software improvements before we'll see a "Profiler II Pro Edition". You're safe to buy, imho.

• Of every piece of digital gear I've bought over the year (and it's been a ton), the Kemper is the most future proof piece of tech I've ever encountered. It really turns the modeling world inside out. The business plan of every modeling company to date has been to release a new unit with new and improved more realistic amps. The Kemper allows you to create profiles which are nearly indistinguishable from the real deal. Any new Kemper which comes out won't be a rehash, but likely a new form factor (like perhaps a floorboard, or maybe a micro unit) but I wouldn't expect that soon. And even then, it doesn't stop the existing Kemper from working. With the Virus, CK and crew offered years of updates (10 to 15 IIRC) and they've said they are following the same business model with the KPA.

• Kemper in an interview said he created the algorithm for the profiling and model 3 years ago and hasn't changed it. (some will say he of course tweaked out artifacts, but materially the profiles tones are no different)

All OS updates are free, and he has a history with the Virus, which, correct me if I'm wrong, had like 3 versions in over 15 years?

So the question is HOW would it be improved where it needed another unit? I could see an upgrade to the memory/OS board for more memory and power.

But even if that WERE the case, you have over 6,000 profiles available for easily, gosh, I don't know, over 500 different amplifiers?

And they SOUND like amplifiers. So it's not like you need an improvement in tone.

The BEST we can imagine, and this is from another Interview, was Kemper theorizing the ability to integrate multiple profiles over one smooth Amp Performance, so you wouldn't have to switch between Clean and Distortion profiles. But I haven't heard of any real attempt to do this yet. To many other things on the plate to support this and the Rack KPA for live performance, and we are all hoping a "Librarian" of external software to manipulate the text and parameters of a profile.

So, worry not. Buy away.

• In nearly 50 years of gigging, probably the best piece of gear I've ever bought. Abd unlike my Eleven Rack and Roland Gear not going to be discontinued or replaced. Just updated ,now how "Cool-Is-That'

• The BEST we can imagine, and this is from another Interview, was Kemper theorizing the ability to integrate multiple profiles over one smooth Amp Performance, so you wouldn't have to switch between Clean and Distortion profiles.

We need to keep our fingers crossed on this one. I'm pretty sure it is in the pipeline, though perhaps lower down the order of things. Mr CK has indicated the current Kemper will be supported for at least 15 years into its lifetime, so I'd say you're good for another 10-12 years in terms of support and updates.

• Well...Even if a single profile was more accurate as to the gain response over it's entire range (which of course might mean limiting the amount of gain also), I imagine you'd still have to switch rigs similar to switching channels on an amp to get both sounds. Unless we're talking about stitching them together and switching based on input volume (a feature Boss has incorporated in their GT line for some time), but that's not very accurate to how the real amp would operate...

• I own the kpa now for over 18 months
    Maybe I have spent 10 hours profiling myself and realized others can do it better
    Have better mics, preamps, monitoring, amps and patience
    Maybe something like a profiler player without the option of making profiles yourself is in the making
    Or maybe a mic/preamp emulation in the profiling chain would help
    The stereo and multiple amp is something I never got right in 30 years mainly because the "sweet spot" on stage is hard to find
    What comes out of the pa system is pretty amazing now
    But I do not have the feel of a real amp standing on stage allthough I tried different options

• Well...Even if a single profile was more accurate as to the gain response over it's entire range (which of course might mean limiting the amount of gain also), I imagine you'd still have to switch rigs similar to switching channels on an amp to get both sounds. Unless we're talking about stitching them together and switching based on input volume (a feature Boss has incorporated in their GT line for some time), but that's not very accurate to how the real amp would operate...

Algorithms, baby, it's all algorithms. I don't care how it'll work as much as it coming together. Kapow! Bam! Instant gratification!

Think of an overdriven Marshall cleaning up to sound like a Vox or a low gain Bogner being pushed into high gain Diezel territory, just by turning the gain knob.

Imagine the impact EQ adjustments and advanced amp controls would have at each stage.

It would be akin to having an UBER-AMPLIFIER. Never change your profile again. Just tweak tweak tweak at one super profile and create multiple versions.

It might make the profiler a modeller like the Axe FX II... But beyond! Into the unknown!

Splish splash mish mash ha ha ha he he he welcome :)

• That would be awesome in a device which is limited in it's modeling set (the Digitech GNX3000 kinda worked like this), but the only purpose it would serve the Kemper really is to eliminate the number of profiles you'd need on the device. For example, no need to keep 5 profiles of your Marshall at different gain stages as you could stitch them and have one profile cover the whole spectrum. But unless you are turning dials on stage, you'd still need to store those settings in multiple rigs in order to switch between them. So while a Marshall cleaning up to a Vox would be great fun, I don't see much practical application as one could just as easily store one rig with a clean Vox and another with a dirty Marshall. And with regards to making the Kemper like the Axe, I think that would be a horrible idea. The whole concept behind the Kemper is to accurately capture real world amps using a dead simple method. Eliminate the boundaries. Take that away and you loose the key feature which uniquely identifies it in the market. What you are largely asking for in a super-profile is the elimination of the profiling process all together and have hands on access to the all the parameters the profiling process automates.

• That would be awesome in a device which is limited in it's modeling set (the Digitech GNX3000 kinda worked like this), but the only purpose it would serve the Kemper really is to eliminate the number of profiles you'd need on the device. For example, no need to keep 5 profiles of your Marshall at different gain stages as you could stitch them and have one profile cover the whole spectrum. But unless you are turning dials on stage, you'd still need to store those settings in multiple rigs in order to switch between them. So while a Marshall cleaning up to a Vox would be great fun, I don't see much practical application as one could just as easily store one rig with a clean Vox and another with a dirty Marshall. And with regards to making the Kemper like the Axe, I think that would be a horrible idea. The whole concept behind the Kemper is to accurately capture real world amps using a dead simple method. Eliminate the boundaries. Take that away and you loose the key feature which uniquely identifies it in the market. What you are largely asking for in a super-profile is the elimination of the profiling process all together and have hands on access to the all the parameters the profiling process automates.

One of the "complaints" about the Kemper has been that the controls do not effectively mirror the "real" amplifier", even if the tone was spot on at the setting it was profiled at. Think about profiling your favourite amp at different settings and having it all on one profile. Link gain to a expression pedal, I think that's possible.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

• As far as modelling, I think profiling is a superior concept too. But the scope for experimentation with various sounds and making my own is super tempting. I remember Rob Chappers video about the Kemper on youtube and he mentioned how the Kemper seemed to "rectify" a shortcoming of the original amp. I really like tweaking, so while having profiles of real amplifiers is my dream, I'm fairly positive that I will be screwing around with the various parameters available with the Kemper to develop my own sound.

I might add the UBER-AMP is my own personal vision, having no favourite amplifier of my own. I like the idea of taking the best parts of various amps and sticking it in a single profile. MUWAHAHAHAHA! :)

• just my cents............if Michael Wagener, mega top hard and heavy producer, bought it and use it with great success, it safe to say it'll work for you too...........because this means the actual profiling algorhythm is so good it can be succesfully used to do top notch records, listened all over the world.

regards

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

I remember Rob Chappers video about the Kemper on youtube and he mentioned how the Kemper seemed to "rectify" a shortcoming of the original amp.

I can confirm that, I have Carrera which is amazing amplifier (5 watt at price almost as much as Kemper, they are not being made anymore too), but it can be very fussy amp as well. I'd not exactly say Kemper rectifies a shortcoming of the amp (I sort of like the character) , but it improves consistency (I have profiled it)
    Using the same example (Cornford Carrera), I must say that profile linking /merging would be very welcome. The amp has so many sweet spots that it needs probably 50+ profiles to capture all good sounds.

• While the past of Kemper was to sound like physical realised amps .... (job done!!!!)

.... the future should be ... to do all the things which might be impossible
    for a real amp!

Open your mind - a new kind of music stands at the frontdoor.

• As far as I know, the only thing the KPA doesn't accurately do yet is capturing profiles of amps with multiple gain stages, according to CK himself. That unfortunately is the kind of amp tone I like the most, so I hope some day it will be possible to profile those.

• While the past of Kemper was to sound like physical realised amps .... (job done!!!!)

.... the future should be ... to do all the things which might be impossible
    for a real amp!

+ 1

I think the KPA creeps into the future right now, as is.

As we know the KPA has it's own unique tone stack, and distortion 'stack'...it doesn't emulate the tone and distortion of the Profiled amp...IMO, that's a good thing, not a negative...it's CK's own invention of a tone & distortion stack.

I had this big time pro playing through the Power Rack into a Marshall 1923 cab....he's extremely hard to please, he's gone through more live rigs in the last two years than I've gone through socks. :)
    We landed on a Hi Watt clean Profile, gain at 10 o'clock...having no knowledge of the Kemper and how the gain works he leaned over and turned the Gain to just past 2 o'clock...I thought, oh boy, that's a mistake.
    Well, the tone was glorious, he looked up at me and said, WTF!, this sounds incredible, it's a unique tone I haven't experienced before.
    We moved on, I stopped at the SD Converter, I said to him do you know Seymour Duncan make an amp, this is it.
    Once again, he was blown away, I know I'd never heard a tube amp that sounded like the SD.
    When we hit Bill Ruppert's 62 Electro (I think that's the name of the Profile), he stood up, looked around at whoever was standing around listening and said this is frikken ridiculous.

So, I think we're in the future right now with the Kemper as is.

EDIT:
    One thing I've realised since getting the Poweramp Kempers...this baloney I read about with having to try hundreds of Profiles to find your tone is just that, baloney.
    We've been using stock Profiles almost exclusively through the Poweramp units.
    With just stock Profiles you could use a different bunch of Profiles for every gig, 5 Profiles one night, and just for the fun of it 5 completely different Profiles the next night, etc, etc, because so many of them sound good with the Poweramp.
    "Accuracy" becomes irrelevant, it sounds great whether it's 100% accurate or not.