1.5.0 vs. 2.1.O sound -are you enough brave to go back to 1.5.0 ???

• OS 1.5.0 was one of the OS having so called "aliasing " .
    Anyway, it was very good sound of KPA, actually the best one sound of KPA.

Than, in 1.6.0 they get rid of aliasing , causing the biggest debate over Kemper forum up to date.
    Say , about half of users thought 1.6.0 destroyed natural organic KPA sound ,where another half said no change in KPA tone after and before removing aliasing .

Today , I played TAF Fargain The King (retro ) via OS 2.1.0 and via OS 1.5.0

After 5 seconds of playing it with old, 1.5.0 OS , I realize what is the Kemper KPA : the best guitar device of 21st Century .
    Also, I realise , that KPA with 2.1.0 is still the good , but not the best , something was missing , and that was not missing with 1.5.0 .

I don't have fancy equipment of re-amping etc...but , if my self , 4 members of my family , 3 neighbours and two dogs clearly prefer natural, deep, wide, organic, warm, brownish sound of 1.5.0 over sound of 2.1. 0 - what I have to do ?

...I have to stay with 1.5.0 and wait , and this is exactly what I am going to do .

I do not want to start the same discussion again, I just want to let you know that you have a choice to go back to 1.5.0 wait.......CK will do that one day , I am sure- some future X.Y.Z OS will have that natural sound of 1.5.0 .

Also, this is just my subjective ,personal view , which might be completely wrong for anyone else view , and it is not based on any scientific measurement, just on subjective feeling, which might be badly wrong, again.

Cheers,
    Zoran

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 2 times, last by Rescator ().

• Hi Per ,
    There is no point to send my audio , because 50 % will say I am right and another 50 % will say I am wrong .
    100% of you will ask for re-amping and other scientific things , for which I don't have time and capacity...
    It is not my point , my point is to try it by your self, and made conclusion by your self , just buy following your ear.

KPA is much bigger thing than just being an advanced , and probably the best digital device on the market .
    I am not sure even KPA creator understand it , at the moment .
    So be brave , go back to 1.5.0 and you will see...... 8)

do not measure - hear it, feel it , touch it via guitar strings - at least every guitarist might feel different string response of 1.5.0 vs 2.1.0 :D

but, yes, it is only valid for me , for you it might be the same or ...opposite ... :D

Peace ! :thumbup:

Edited 3 times, last by Rescator ().

• Hi!

I did a test and reamped a track with both versions using the same profile. I found a difference while reamping through spdif. No levels were changed during the reamp process but there was a difference, but not in sound quality. The was a difference in gain. With version 2.1, I had to push the distortion sense to +2.2 or 2.3. Doing this, both versions are identical. There was a little difference in volume between them but, once adjusted, I couldn't tell which one was done with 1.5.

Saludos!
    Paco

• Hi Paco !

I am sure you are right 100% ,thanks for sharing your experiment with us.
    Yes, gain and volume in 2.1.0 should be increased a bit , to match the 1.5.0 .
    Maybe this is a reason I feel 1.5.0 is more "natural " or whatever??
    Cheers !

• Where did you find the 1.5?
    By the way if there is somewhere a kind of wave table updated with an order number, you will not be able to go back. It will impact definitly your tone after each update.
    You need to compare with a KPA which has not been updated.

Edited once, last by mba ().

Where did you find the 1.5?

http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html

Kemper Profiler Operating System 1.5.0 Public Beta
    Date:
    2012-10-05
    File size:
    8.58 MB

This public beta release addresses several issues and adds new features including selective preset browse and extensive routing options for the output section.

added: output source selection parameters in Output Section and output presets
    added: Selective Browse of amp, stack, and cabinet
    added: new Control Change #s can be controlled via expression pedal:

#1 Wah Pedal
    #7 Volume Pedal
    #16 All Stomps Invert
    #17 Stomp A on/off
    #18 Stomp B on/off
    #19 Stomp C on/off
    #20 Stomp D on/off
    #22 Stomp X on/off*
    #24 Stomp MOD on/off
    #26 Delay on/off (cuts tail)
    #27 Delay on/off (keeps tail)
    #28 Reverb on/off (cuts tail)
    #29 Reverb on/off (keeps tail)
    #30 Tap
    #31 Tuner Select
    #33 Rotary Speaker (slow/fast)
    #68 Delay Mix*
    #69 Delay Feedback*
    #70 Reverb Mix*
    #71 Reverb Time*
    #72 Gain*

added: copy & paste for text editing
    added: reception of Midi clock does enable tempo

changed: increased performance on import
    changed: backups do contain the current rig and lockings now
    changed: browse control timeout increased to 4 seconds
    changed: SPDIF improved
    changed: improved Pick parameter

fixed: after reboot, the MIDI volume gets reset to maximum
    fixed: local presets and selective browse presets can be loaded while sections are locked
    fixed: dialogs are better visible

Known Issues:

- Downgrade to some older Firmware (e. g. 1.1.0 Release and 1.1.1 Public Beta) will cause a hang, which can be overcome by a reset of global settings (push and hold the SYSTEM button, while starting the unit). If you need to recover your global settings, please create a backup before you downgrade and restore afterwards.
    - After scrolling through MIDI PrgChg#s on page 5/8 of the System menu and selecting another PC# without assigning it, no PC# will get displayed on the main screen. However the original PC# is still functional.
    - When changing filter or sort criteria the Midi PC# of the actual rig disappears from the display, but the PC # is still functional.

WARNING: This firmware doesn't support all current Kemper Profiler models.

• Where did you find the 1.5?
    By the way if there is somewhere a kind of wave table updated with an order number, you will not be able to go back. It will impact definitly your tone after each update.
    You need to compare with a KPA which has not been updated.

that's very interesting , but not workable, since I do not have such a KPA :D

• After 5 seconds of playing it with old, 1.5.0 OS , I realize what is the Kemper KPA : the best guitar device of 21st Century .
    Also, I realise , that KPA with 2.1.0 is still the good , but not the best , something was missing , and that was not missing with 1.5.0 .

Same though here. Perhaps psychoacoustic issue.
    It make me think that it does not sound better today than a plugin with good IRs and sometimes i want to sell it.
    But i can capture everything i want into the box so...but if it sounds like a plugin..just meh.
    We must be wrong.
    I have some spdif reamp files between 1.8.2 and 2.xxx.
    Not sure the comparaison is valid i had to normalize both.

• ça sonne comme un plugin? t'exageres pas un peux là ? ;(

balance tes reamp qu'on entende ça !!!! :)

we want proof :D

• Yesterday, I tried the new amp model included in Scuffham Amps s-gear. I thought: "Wow! This is awesome!" then I switched to Kemper (2.1) and thought: "THIS is awesome".

I can post my tests if you want. In those reamped tests there is no difference in sound quality between 1.5 and 2.1.

• nitpicking, the second to me seems to have a bit more clarity, lack of bass, whatever. if you had to adjust the gain at all doesn't that suggest a slight shift in sound?

That might indicate a change in input volume, or the mapping of input volume to the clean/dist sense parameters, but wouldn't necessarily indicate a change in overall the end sound if one adjusts to compensate. Let's remember that there have been changes implemented to reduce aliasing as well as some input filtering since the initial firmware directly in response to feedback on this forum.

• I switch back to 1.5 and with no doubt it's more tight, it's more harsch too.
    I feel like it is closer to the raw microphone sound though i have to check it.
    All in all i prefer 2.1 which is more musical but i would like to have the choice.

Why not add a new knob called "Voices" where you could choose :
    0- Null
    1- pop
    2- rock
    2- etc...