Thinking about getting one of those but...

• I'm more stage guy than studio. So I'd use it mainly in lve situations
    I own an Engl Savage and I probably will switch to Kemper, I play in venues of 500 to 5.000 and even some festivals and I'm used to have my cab behind me apart from the monitors.

My rig would be like this:

Kemper + Poweramp + Cab (Engl Pro w/ V30)

1. After reading comments on internet, it seems that most of the people uses it with FR monitors, is it suitable to play it through a guitar cabinet?
    2. Which poweramp would be suitable, Solid State or Tubes?
    3. How good is the built-in poweramp of the rack? Or better get a Matrix?
    4. SS poweramps (like the one built in) have 600Watts but my cabinet is only 240W Max. How can I manage this problem?
    5. I know there is a Cab OFF button which must be off when using with a cabinet, but how the hell can be turned off if the tone have been profiled with the cabinet?? Witchery? Shall I get better results with just preamp profiles?

• 1. Yes, you can run the Kemper through a guitar cabinet
    2. A solid state power amp will more faithfully reproduce the tone of the profiles. A tube power amp will color the tone, which is not automatically a bad thing. But a tube power amp will also limit the volume of your dead clean profiles, because the tube amp will distort some at higher volumes.
    3. I have no experience with the built in power amp. But I like the idea of having a separate power amp, especially for a rack setup. Iy just give you more flexibility to fins an amp that best suits your taste. I have a Matrix Q12a, and I love the way the power amp feels and sounds.
    4. The max output is 600 Watts, but your head is likely to explode before you use more than 240Watts of power. So as long as you don't turn the amp up to insane volume, I think your 240 Watt cabinet would be fine.
    5. The Cab Off does just that; turns off the Cabinet Profile, leaving just the preamp and power amp sections of the profile active. Your real cabinet would provide the cabinet tone. So I don't think you need to use preamp only profiles at all.

All this being said, running your rig like a guitar amp as you describe bypasses one of the great features of the Kemper. When you run it through FRFR monitors, and send a direct feed to the front of house sound system, your sound will be the same from your monitors and the front of house. I feel you have more control over the way your guitar sounds to the audience. Running it as a standard guitar amp, having it mic'd to feed the front of house, what you hear on stage will be quite different than what the audience will hear. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference.

• All this being said, running your rig like a guitar amp as you describe bypasses one of the great features of the Kemper. When you run it through FRFR monitors, and send a direct feed to the front of house sound system, your sound will be the same from your monitors and the front of house. I feel you have more control over the way your guitar sounds to the audience. Running it as a standard guitar amp, having it mic'd to feed the front of house, what you hear on stage will be quite different than what the audience will hear. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference.

My idea is to send direct feed to the FOH and listen through the stage monitors but also have the cabinet somewhere behind me. So I'm a bit dispointed about being so different tone between the direct send and the cabinet tone cause if I have a great tone in the cabinet it won't be so great in the direct signal and viceversa... that could be a problem in the rehearsals cause I only use the cabinet to monitor my sound.

• My idea is to send direct feed to the FOH and listen through the stage monitors but also have the cabinet somewhere behind me. So I'm a bit dispointed about being so different tone between the direct send and the cabinet tone cause if I have a great tone in the cabinet it won't be so great in the direct signal and viceversa... that could be a problem in the rehearsals cause I only use the cabinet to monitor my sound.

That isn't a problem actually. I using my Kemper this way. Only cab for rehearsel and live with direct to FOH and existing monitors and cab out to guitar cabinet for my additional personal monitoring. Depending on the guiter cab the tone is a bit different of course but I never had issue with either tone being bad in any way.

• I use the Kemper live and find it works perfectly using my Marshall 9100 poweramp and two Marshall 2x12's. I use the monitor out (with Cabs off), and also connect the main outputs to FOH (cabs on). I'm over the moon with the onstage sound and feel (ok so the sound is affected by the poweramp and cabs... but I have a great sound and that's all I care about), also the sound guy is happy.

I'm still not sure about FRFR, my mates Axe fx sounds great through his atomic CLR's but I love the sound I'm getting from my cabs, and can't think that spending 2 grand on FRFR cabs would give me 2 grands worth of sound benefit, particularly as the audience is already getting the full range via FOH.

When I use it in the studio I use the same rigs but go direct from the main outs.

This is what makes the Kemper the best musical investment I've ever made.

• 1. Yes, you can run the Kemper through a guitar cabinet
    2. A solid state power amp will more faithfully reproduce the tone of the profiles. A tube power amp will color the tone, which is not automatically a bad thing. But a tube power amp will also limit the volume of your dead clean profiles, because the tube amp will distort some at higher volumes.
    3. I have no experience with the built in power amp. But I like the idea of having a separate power amp, especially for a rack setup. Iy just give you more flexibility to fins an amp that best suits your taste. I have a Matrix Q12a, and I love the way the power amp feels and sounds.
    4. The max output is 600 Watts, but your head is likely to explode before you use more than 240Watts of power. So as long as you don't turn the amp up to insane volume, I think your 240 Watt cabinet would be fine.
    5. The Cab Off does just that; turns off the Cabinet Profile, leaving just the preamp and power amp sections of the profile active. Your real cabinet would provide the cabinet tone. So I don't think you need to use preamp only profiles at all.

All this being said, running your rig like a guitar amp as you describe bypasses one of the great features of the Kemper. When you run it through FRFR monitors, and send a direct feed to the front of house sound system, your sound will be the same from your monitors and the front of house. I feel you have more control over the way your guitar sounds to the audience. Running it as a standard guitar amp, having it mic'd to feed the front of house, what you hear on stage will be quite different than what the audience will hear. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference.

sorry, but I have to disagree. first off my rig is the following: kemper - mesa boogie 2:90 tube power amp - two 2x12 V30 guitar cabs.

#1 ok
    #2 ok for the colouring part but NOT ok for the cleans. my power amp crunches in no way my cleans which remain crystal clear and crystal clean.
    #3 to #5 ok

Overall based on my experience I must say that a tube power amp makes this contribution of a certain colour but it is not so drastic. in other words, the Kemper is all there with all its tones. my mesa enphasizes them the way I like. of course, there are kpa users that don't like too much colouring. that's fine. but here we are in the personal taste field which is untouchable......

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• #2 ok for the colouring part but NOT ok for the cleans. my power amp crunches in no way my cleans which remain crystal clear and crystal clean.

He said limit the headroom of clean sounds though. If you stay within that headroom then of course you'll remain crystal clean. The wattage used in most ss solutions for modeling won't ever go into any sort of clipping territory, whilst the tube amps certainly will provide additional compression/saturation when pushed.

• when pushed to what level? you know that to achieve the same volume of a ss amp the tube amp doesn't need to be pushed very much.

my mesa is 90 watts per channel. in order to achieve a volume able to make a hole in a cement wall I need to raise the volume only to something like 40 % of its power. this way I have a huge volume (something for the stadiums not for a club), most of the time not accepted by the pa tech and certainly not too pushed to get too much compression/saturation.

clearly if I use my mesa at 75% of the possible volume, yes, the tubes will start to add some saturation. but believe me when I say that a 90 watts amp pushed to the limit makes impossible to be played when in front of it.

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I'm newbie power head guy. IMHO why not get the power rack with the built in 600 watt amp? Its really light and it gives you more options. On my power head, its meant to run a traditional amp cab and a PA at the same time, with separate volumes for everything. You can still run the power rack like a non powered kemper if you want, into any tube or solid state amp.

• Finally I purchased th rack kemper. I pluged it to my Engl Savage head in the FX Loop return and it works great. Awesome sound, and the profile I made of my amp sounds exactly as the real deal.
    I must say that tubeamp + cabinet colours the tone, not in a bad way, but the pity is that most of the profiles sound similar... I mean, the poweramp and the cabinet influence A LOT in the tone. So you can get a great tone but not a good myriad of tones and amps.

• The poweramp into your cabinet produces an incredible on stage "in the room" tube amp tone, so why not send that tone to the FOH by miking the cabinet...ignore the Main Outs on your Kemper.
    That's exactly what the pros I've sold Poweramp units to have done.

If I'm watching a band live, I don't need to hear 10 different tones sounding like 10 different amps coming out the PA.
    I don't need to hear 100% authentic Vox tone for U2 songs, and Marshall tone for G&R songs, and Diezel Herbert tones when you play Metallica.
    All I want to hear is great guitar tone, great clean tone, great crunch tone, and great lead tones....if the speakers in your cabinet are colouring your tones then that's fine with me, as long as the colour sounds good and you know how to play the guitar. :thumbup: