New convert!

• I have been playing guitars since 1981 and being a metalhead I felt the only way to get my tone was through a Marshall based amp. Well, fast forward to 2013 and after 6 back surgeries and looking at possibly another one I had to change my ways if I wanted to keep performing live. My main rig has been a Friedman BE-100, it is THE amp for me! Dave Friedman's idea of good tone is the same as mine, plus he makes a killer master volume circuit that allows me to play through a 100 1/2 stack at 5AM, sound good, and not wake anyone up. Well, I tried Dave's Pink Taco (20 watt version of the BE-100) but it sounded thin through anything other than a 4x12. I have a Tonewedge 1x12 cab (looks like a monitor wedge) with a Scumback M75 in it but the Taco just did not agree with it :(

I bought a non-powered Kemper from Sweetwater and I am stunned. I cannot believe how good it sounds using an EH Magnum 44 into the 1x12...WOW!! I profiled my BE-100 and was unable to tell the Kemper from the real amp. Anyone that does not believe the Kemper is good enough to be your only amp is nuts. My only complaint so far is how to figure out a solo boost.

I am looking forward to my first gig with the Kemper this Saturday. It will be a treat to only bring 2 guitars, the Kemper, Magnum 44, the wedge, a midi controller, and some cables. It will be the first time I ever gigged with under 100 pounds of gear :P

• Welcome aboard fellow metalhead, Mike! The Kemper has made a believer of us all!
    So are you letting loose your analogue gear now?
    There are some great Friedman profiles available in the Rig exchange.
    Hopefully, you'll share that BE-100 goodness with us!

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• Welcome to the Kemper Community. You will love carrying around only this little amout of gear and still getting the BIG tone :thumbup:

As far as the solo boost is concerned. I guess there are a couple of options.
    1) Store a second rig with increased volume (and plus some effects to be used with solo stuff maybe).
    2) Add an EQ in the X Slot either just to increase the volume or also add some mids etc. to better cut through. Store this and have it disabled by default so that you can switch it on when needed.
    3) Set your volume pedal control so that you regular level is the pedal min (heel down) and full volume / pedal max (toe down) is your solo level.

I personally use option 1) and 2). I created a separate lead setting for actual soloing stuff (which only happens once in while) and set up a effects slot to do some boosting for parts that I what to stand out a bit.

• Welcome!

Congrats on scoring your Kemper.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• Welcome - and yes, the BE is a killer amp.
    I played one last week for some time.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• For solos I use the pure booster anywhere after the amp with +2.4 volume after the Amp it doesn't color the sound only louder. Try it? Your level might be different? Works for me live direct to house.

Dave

• Welcome on board Mike,

I'm using my (unpowered) Kemper for recording, rehearsals (connected to the pa mixer) and live gigs for nearly a year now. Always a pleasure to hear and to use it. As far as solo-boosting is concerned increasing the volume (except master volume) isn't so easily done. You may end up with red lights in the master section. Rigvolume shouldn't be increased either, if I read Mr Kemper correctly. What I do - maybe arkward - is:

1. Use a pure boost in stomp slot one and a boss fs 5u foot switch to turn it on or off. You can direct the foot switch in the system menu. Easily done. You don't need to take away your hands off the guitar to switch it on or off. If you extend the boost most tube amps and thus the Kemper too, will start to overdrive. Most times a good thing for soloing. If your rig has a lot of gain in the first place this won't work. For the same reason an external device won't do the trick. You will only raise the gain level but not the over all volume.

or

2. Use a graphic eq in stomp slot 5 and only set a volume for not soloing. Or set one for solos and direct this slot to the switch. Ths will work just fine.

3. A volumepedal is also a good thing to have for this kind of job.

4. Two different rigs is well enough the best solution because you'll want to engage other stomps for soloing (esp. delay). In combination with a foot switch I really do recommend it.

Best regards

Joachim

• I have been playing guitars since 1981 and being a metalhead I felt the only way to get my tone was through a Marshall based amp. Well, fast forward to 2013 and after 6 back surgeries and looking at possibly another one I had to change my ways if I wanted to keep performing live. My main rig has been a Friedman BE-100, it is THE amp for me! Dave Friedman's idea of good tone is the same as mine, plus he makes a killer master volume circuit that allows me to play through a 100 1/2 stack at 5AM, sound good, and not wake anyone up. Well, I tried Dave's Pink Taco (20 watt version of the BE-100) but it sounded thin through anything other than a 4x12. I have a Tonewedge 1x12 cab (looks like a monitor wedge) with a Scumback M75 in it but the Taco just did not agree with it :(

I bought a non-powered Kemper from Sweetwater and I am stunned. I cannot believe how good it sounds using an EH Magnum 44 into the 1x12...WOW!! I profiled my BE-100 and was unable to tell the Kemper from the real amp. Anyone that does not believe the Kemper is good enough to be your only amp is nuts. My only complaint so far is how to figure out a solo boost.

I am looking forward to my first gig with the Kemper this Saturday. It will be a treat to only bring 2 guitars, the Kemper, Magnum 44, the wedge, a midi controller, and some cables. It will be the first time I ever gigged with under 100 pounds of gear :P

Welcome to the forum!
    I've seen another user here playing live with the kemper and a Magnum 44. That's a very practical and low weight setup.