Our Kempers both caught fire tonight

• At rehearsal, nothing different other than the latest firmware update applied today. Mine started smoking and flamed up about 1 minute in. Our other guitarist's lasted about 10 minutes. The only thing we did was the latest update about 10 minutes before we started. We play in a really nice rental studio with clean power. We both have the passive units. I don't know what to say but I'm not too assured by this. Is anyone else having an issue? I'm taking mine back in the morning. Our local shop has a "No Lemon" policy so we're covered. We're supposed to start touring in November. I can't take something with me that I can't trust.

• I'd be highly suspect of the "clean" power for the studio. You should get a UPS rated for the draw you need for all electronics equipment anywhere you're running (possibly one per band member, they're dirt cheap from best buy etc and will save your kit and properly condition the power unlike just a "conditioning power strip"). Make sure not to overtax the power system either.

Oh and also how were you plugged in to the Kemper and what were the KPA's plugged in to? If it's the kemper power amp you should make sure the ohm ratings matched on the output for correct draw, on input likewise you don't want to run too hot a signal.

• I'd be highly suspect of the "clean" power for the studio. You should get a UPS rated for the draw you need for all electronics equipment anywhere you're running (possibly one per band member, they're dirt cheap from best buy etc and will save your kit and properly condition the power unlike just a "conditioning power strip"). Make sure not to overtax the power system either.

Oh and also how were you plugged in to the Kemper and what were the KPA's plugged in to? If it's the kemper power amp you should make sure the ohm ratings matched on the output for correct draw, on input likewise you don't want to run too hot a signal.

We use Furman AR1215 line regulators. Not the cheap power racks. The studio is a multi million dollar facility owned by a grammy nominated producer... Everything is on the up and up. We use the passive units, not the powered ones. They plug direct into an Allen and Heath WZ3 12M IEM monitor board. All of our gear is top notch and well cared for. Believe me this isn't our other gear or the power that's causing it. Right before rehearsal, the only thing that was different was I brought my memory stick so we could update the firmware. That's the ONLY difference between today and the last month of almost daily rehearsals. We're all very familiar with our gear and it has worked fine until tonight. The only difference being the firmware update that was recently made available.

• Wow, that is a exeptional story!
    We will investigate your units to see what happened.

I can actually assure that a severe hardware failure cannot be caused by software, as all power related modules are not driven by firmware. It is also not possible that other components draw too much current caused by firmware. Our power supply is taylored to supply the maximum current to every component, which is a common design rule.

The new firmware is installed on most of our company Profilers, as well as on many user Profilers, and run well.

The fact that two units broke nearly at the same time, and that they seemed to play well prior to failiure leads me to the assumption, that an over-voltage has caused the defect, even when the power line was secured.

We have got in contact with you already.

• Wow, what the fuck! Shit happens... must've been some voltage peak or something like that?
    I'm very sure that it has nothing to do with firmware though!

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• I own an AR-1215 and find it difficult to let pass any overvoltage or surges, I'd suspect the connection to the Allen & Heath monitoring board. Maybe a shorted ground connection somewhere in there?

• You didn't actually try to toast bread in it, did you?

The toasting is usually fine, its when you try and fish out the toast with a fork that you really run into problems.

Joking aside, this really sucks and I am glad you are covered and hope you can rule this fault to some other equipment and not lose faith in the Kemper.

• Don and CK are on it and are going to see what can be done. As for the room? I have been rehearsing here for 2 years and have never had any issues, nor have any other band using the room. We have shared this room with some great acts and no one has reported any issues. The power is really secure here. I'm not blaming anyone, it's just a shame that it happened. I only listed the firmware as the only change since it's the only thing we have done differently since our setup and tear down is pretty meticulous and never varies. It's a good thing that none of you have had any issues, because that localizes the problem to our units. I'll be dealing with Kemper directly so there is no need to post further. Thanks for the help guys.