AKG 240 Studio headphones ....

• Hey Guys,

Just got back to playing the Kemper after a long hiatus. Also trying out these AKG 240 Studio cans (specifically with the Kemper), and I was wondering how many of you play through them as well. They're open backs, and the sound takes a while getting used to.

Anyway - just trying to determine whether I should use them to dial in my sounds, or if I should shoot for greener pastures (suggestions welcome).

So I guess this is a 2 pronged question -
    1. How many of the Kemper users use the AKG240 open-back Studio cans specifically.
    2. What would be a good pair of cans (studio reference) to get, alternatively?

Thanks for your time and responses in advance!

• I have both AKG K240 600 ohm and a Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250 Ohm

The 600 ohm sound good but are not loud enough through the Kemper headphone jack.

The 250 ohm are a bit bass heavy but get much louder.

Headphones are a last resort for playing guitar for me!

• I have & love the K240 headset. The detachable cord is key for me, greta feature. With little ones in the house sleeping, I do a lot of jamming & mixing and like the results. I'm not sure what you mean by "not loud enough"? That may be a headphone amp issue as I get blistering painful levels if needed

• Not a headphone lover by any means, but when I do use them I like the K240s a lot...mainly because they are open and more comfortable for me.
    Currently using the Mark 2s.

For closed backs, I have a pair of ATH-M50s which seem a good deal louder and have more bass.

• I have & love the K240 headset. The detachable cord is key for me, greta feature. With little ones in the house sleeping, I do a lot of jamming & mixing and like the results. I'm not sure what you mean by "not loud enough"? That may be a headphone amp issue as I get blistering painful levels if needed

You probably have the 55 ohm version of the K240's they will be louder then the 600 ohm version

if you ues the the kemper headphone jack I would not use any thing higher then 250 ohm :)

Edited once, last by troynova ().

• I used the K-240 (55 Ohms) many times and they are certainly good headphones, nothing wrong with them.
    Personally, I prefer the Beyer Dynamic DT-770 Pro (80 Ohms) because to me they have a little more 'body'. They're closed cans and they have just one potential downside, imho. The earpads are made for one person using them. I wouldn't like them to be used by many different people (with different approach to hair washing intervals) all the time. :D

Cheers,
    Martin

• Thanks very much for the replies folks - I have the 55 ohm K240's (Seems like they dont make the 600 ohm versions anymore?). While they're plenty loud - what I dont like is the uncontrolled low-end (to the point of being boomy). I dont hear the Kemper like I do through my monitors (not even close).

It's possible that breaking them in might make them sound better?

Anyway - thought that someone on this forum might be playing through the K240 Studios (and seems like there are a few).

Thanks a lot!

• I don't know it this topic is actual. But just while ago, after playing "TAF - Evil Robot BLUES" on my new AUDIO TECHNICA ATH M50 i switched back to AKG K240 MKII. What a dull and lifeless cans.

• I have a very old set of K240s and they sound really nice but as far as the new ones go, I was less than impressed. I tried them and the K280 MKII. Neither one of them were remotely decent.
    I tried about 10 different sets in the $200-$250 range which is what I set my budget at. I also tried the ATHM50 units and while they sounded very good, they were the most uncomfortable units of the bunch on the ears.

I ended up with the Shure SRH840 and haven't looked back. They are very nice and full sounding without over-emphasizing any frequencies and keeping things fairly honest.

• Trying headphones is kind of tricky. Depending on their specs, their response can definitely change depending on the device which drives them. Also, they sound differently on different heads...
    There's for example a big difference in response when using a power amp, a HP amp or a "usual" preamp. But things may vary from amp to amp in the same category as well.
    Add the usual difference in tastes among people... Advices about HPs are even more subjective than those about amps and cabs :|

:)

• I don't know it this topic is actual. But just while ago, after playing "TAF - Evil Robot BLUES" on my new AUDIO TECHNICA ATH M50 i switched back to AKG K240 MKII. What a dull and lifeless cans.

I agree! I tried the K240 MKII and what I remember is that it was hyped in the bass and treble sides. I didn't like it at all... I never tried the MKI but I'm sure it is a lot better considering that some KPA users like it very much!

I finally bought the Audio-Technica ATH-900 (open back) which give so much spatial feeling that you can almost hear an amp in the room, no joke. There is also a closed back model, ATH-A900X, which is more quiet for your environement and still have an incredible spatial feel!

Is it a reference headphone? No, but it's near, and, anyway, I would never mix or built my tones with headphone.

• Trying headphones is kind of tricky. Depending on their specs, their response can definitely change depending on the device which drives them. Also, they sound differently on different heads...
    There's for example a big difference in response when using a power amp, a HP amp or a "usual" preamp. But things may vary from amp to amp in the same category as well.
    Add the usual difference in tastes among people... Advices about HPs are even more subjective than those about amps and cabs :|

:)

Yes! I agree here too. Try a lot of HPs prior to make your choice. I tried about 10 different models that was all well regarded from musician users and some of them was very far from what I was looking for.

• ... And always try them with a device similar to yours. If you've got an HP pre, for example, trying some with a power amp or a mixer/Profiler/CD player could be misleading: they will most certainly sound different at home.

• I used AKG's a lot, but now my favourite headphone is a Beyer DT-880 Pro, I tried everything and for me it's the perfect one.

Anyway, to get a realistic impression of profiles I always would prefer studio-monitors and not headphones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de