Rig management proposal (while waiting for a librarian)

• Hello, I really miss a librarian, as anyone I believe... And I need to manage easily the huge collection of rigs I downloaded and archived on my PC.

It's easy to get lost when You have thousands of rigs available.

I'm testing right now a solution who came to my mind, and that I think to be helpful to categorize and select the rigs I collected; I would like to share it with You and have Your opinion.

I downloaded and installed a free software called "Agent ransack", used to find files in a disk quickly and easily. You can find it here:

http://www.mythicsoft.com/welcome

This small software has the capability to do a search even within the CONTENT of the files, not only within the names.

For the time being I tested it with a pen drive where I exported my Kemper rigs; I found it helps a lot to make specific researches with keywords as it analizes all the tags of the rig (including comments, cabinet tags and so on).

For example, if You have rigs on PC and want to find a good marshall jtm rig,You just have to type "marshall" AND "jtm" in the file content field of the software and it will find all the rigs with these specific tags. You can therefore copy and paste them in a pendrive and import them into the kemper.

You can also use this utility to categorize and archive the rigs.

Tell me what You think... could it work at least untill a librarian will be released ?

Andrea

• Hi, the app will not re-write any tag; it simply does a search telling what You will find in each rig (from amp to cab to microphone used and so on, if these details are tagged in the rig).
    To make a categorization of the rigs on pc You could create for example a folder/subfolder system with the name of the amp brand/model and cut/paste the rigs found with the app from their position to the corresponding sub folder.
    To modify any tag I think it would be possible to open the rig with the KPA tag editor we discussed here in the forum

• This is a very good idea : be aware that as there is no naming rules for tags, if you want to find marshall jtm amps, you may have to search for rigs containing either marshall, or marsh, or mars, or marsha, or...

If you want to have a look at tags for rigs that are under rig exchange (most of them), i gave a link to
    An excel sheet in a thread called "i thought i would share 2 excel sheets"

I will try to use it on my mac
    Thanks again, laurent

Laurent

• This is a very good idea : be aware that as there is no naming rules for tags, if you want to find marshall jtm amps, you may have to search for rigs containing either marshall, or marsh, or mars, or marsha, or...

If you want to have a look at tags for rigs that are under rig exchange (most of them), i gave a link to
    An excel sheet in a thread called "i thought i would share 2 excel sheets"

I will try to use it on my mac
    Thanks again, laurent

Thanks to You, great job and very useful ! I'm glad You liked the idea :)

Andrea

• This is a good solution. Eventually, I think I'd like to make a librarian, as well as possibly a kipr <-> xml converter.

for the time being, you may also want to check this thread:

"Starting Pack" for Beginners: Maurizio70 RIGs, PRESETs and BACKUP (updated to September 5th 2013)

The presets and rigs are named according to a specific convention that makes finding specific amps or rigs easier.

• Andrea,
    As far as I understand your proposal the search SW does a dumb search for strings. It does not consider tag types. E.g. it will not distinguish between Marshall amp and Marshall cabinet.

For a more structured search you may create one of the aforementioned Excel sheets from your rig collection. This can be done with the KIPR Tag Editor or any other Tag editor available. It can generate a CSV-file containing all tags of all rigs in your collection. This file can then be imported in your favourite spreadsheet program (e.g. Excel, OpenOffice, LibreOffice) and sorted and searched to your heart's content.