In search of the Holy Grail, Part VIII, Old School Metal

• oh, if you didn't mind. that is a superb and great idea! :thumbup: :thumbup:

if you PM me your e-mail i can send you the files. what do ya need? my guitar wave? what else?!

this will be the only way to solve the issue finally, thx so much.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Here's some general advice from Colin Richardson on eq'ing guitars if that helps:

...if the sound has been recorded cleanly ie no strange fizz or bottom end boom, then the same type of frequencies tend to be boosted on most of my mixes. Frequency wise it's usually around
    8-10 khz for the air 4-6 khz for the bite area, usually 1.5 khz for the in your face effect, 400hz for the note of the guitar, and around 70-100 hz to pick out the weight of the cab.The boost amount just depends on what has been recorded, just turn it till it sounds good. This method has worked on many albums i have worked on including Heartwork Carcass, Burn my eyes Machine Head, Chimaira self titled, Bullet for my valentine, The Poison.

Use those general regions depending on what you want more or less. If your guitars sound undefined and muddy, usually I cut around 300 Hz and boost at 1.5kHz. Remember that less is more, and you need to eq the other instruments as well to get a good balanced sound. :)

I also like the Stillwell 1973 eq plugin a lot, well worth the measly price. It's no Massenburg, but it gets the job done. :thumbup:

• Hey Nakedzen,

this IS useful information. As a rookie to mixing i always appreciate concrete values to concentrate upon! :thumbup:

I have bought a book 2 years ago which was utterly useless except for two things:

• it made clear that you can make the lyrics much more understandable by boosting the region around 6K Hz, so you can even reduce the volume afterwards
    • it made clear that you can boost the bass with enhancing the region of around 500Hz, getting much more puch, so you can even reduce the volume later on
    • all this helped the mix considerably!! sometimes only small things go a long way, so i will see into this ASAP

thanx, nakedzen again and to lightbox also :thumbup:

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Hey Gang,

colleague Martin aka Lightbox was so kind to give a helping hand and remixed and reamped my dry guitar track.

You can hear it here :D .

What have i learned? There are many roads that lead to Rome, erh ..., the final and good mix. Lightbox used a Laney rig from the RE and
    tweaked it inside the KPA! I personally call it a day now. I would never be able to achieve this on my own. That is the bad news. Years of learning
    are ahead of me. In any case, the final product is more than okay, what da ya think?

I appreciate all of the help and am looking forward to seeing you in the next sequel to: in search of the holy grail (part IX!) :thumbup:

• tlingen, thank you for your comment! well, indeed, i don' think toni himself knows the settings he used back in june 1970. :D

there is currently a debate what profiles can be uploaded. Pro files ofcourse not, but tweakeds are debatable, because the
    real profiling work was done by someone else. i have to contact the OUP (original uploader) first. so, stay tuned to this channel!

I hope we can upload the tweaked rig which was a Laney from the RE soon. see ya!

• yes, they did use Oranges, when they played the german BEATCLUB two times in 1970! all the groups relied on the studio equipment which was mainly orange. even FREE did play orange there. Apart from those vids, tony used Laneys.

Edited 2 times, last by Geraldo7 ().