Need help with Kemper's tremelo effect

• I've tried dialing in the onboard tremelo, but I can't get anything but a soft pulse effect. I've got the Depth setting maxed at 10, but I can't get any type of clean start/stop effect, like most trems can do. I've tried all the other settings, but nothing is working.

Anyone have any experience with this? I really need this effect for a song my band does, and I do NOT want to have to bring a separate pedal. Hopefully there is another adjustment I can make.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• What exactly are you looking for? Like a hard square wave type of on/off tremolo?

Yes Will, exactly that. I should have said square wave.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I have already posted a feature request for a "chopper" effect, but it either hasn't been paid attention to or hasn't been a priority thus far. Maybe if enough people comment in this thread? It should be a fairly easy effect to add to the KPA.

• Yeah, it's not the best for that type of hard stutter effect. Maybe someday they'll add it.

I'm open to any suggestions that will improve it in its current state ;)

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

• The 'hardest' I can get it (ooer missus) is to put the depth at 10, crossover at minimum and then put the stereo at 0%. Rate as required by the song. But, it's still pretty polite compared with some out there.

Doing this, it's still not a square wave thing and it does not kill the output dead.... it's then more like and opto trem.... If you set the rate at minimum and hit a note, you'll see that it ALMOST kills it in the troughs but not completely and it's going there and back pretty softly. I like it, but it's more 60's spy movie rather than an extreme jitter.

• The 'hardest' I can get it (ooer missus) is to put the depth at 10, crossover at minimum and then put the stereo at 0%. Rate as required by the song. But, it's still pretty polite compared with some out there.

Doing this, it's still not a square wave thing and it does not kill the output dead.... it's then more like and opto trem.... If you set the rate at minimum and hit a note, you'll see that it ALMOST kills it in the troughs but not completely and it's going there and back pretty softly. I like it, but it's more 60's spy movie rather than an extreme jitter.

+1. I would add it needs to be after the amp as well and it's darn choppy, but not the pure square wave stuff you can do some effects boxes today.

• The Tremolo is pretty weak altogether IMHO. What it does is just modulating volume. A tremolo like in an old Fender on the other side would work by varying bias and that seems to have some side-effects other than just the volume going up and down. I'm not sure if such a thing would be possible in the KPA since that kind of thing would have to be wired in the ampmodel itself.

But anyway, I really wish for an improvement, I miss the fucking cool tremolo of my old '62 Deluxe so much...

• I'd love to see some more patterns for the tremelo effect, even if it's just the option of a square tremelo.

Actually you know that? Scratch that, these guys created the Virus fercryingoutloud, lets step it up a notch! I'd love to see a unified LFO option and interface for all effects that make use of one, that would give you the normal range of LFO's you get on a synth as well as bias, depth, speed. It would be great on not just tremelo, but also flangers, phasers, chorus, pitch effects, filter effects like autowah etc.

• The Tremolo is pretty weak altogether IMHO. What it does is just modulating volume. A tremolo like in an old Fender on the other side would work by varying bias and that seems to have some side-effects other than just the volume going up and down.

not completely true, since AFAIK Fender incorporated three tremolo types: opto, bias and harmonic.
    the one with the most side-effects was the harmonic one.

• not completely true, since AFAIK Fender incorporated three tremolo types: opto, bias and harmonic.
    the one with the most side-effects was the harmonic one.

You got me thinking what type of trem my '62 Deluxe had. Looked it up and it was a bias trem (power amp tubes). Todays Fender trems (opto?) are not that interesting, IMHO. They sound as boring as the KPA-version ;)

So can we have something with the side-effects of bias and/or harmonic trem then? ;) If that's done, I'm all for different LFOs or stepped waves or whatever. But in all honesty, if that means it has to be put in the amp-section and basic tube-model of the KPA and such a change would require significant work, I'm not sure if I want it badly enough to sacrificy other developments of the KPA ;)

But then: We have so many fantastic profiles of vintage Fenders that are so spot on to the originals, it's a shame that the trem is not on par.

• Digitech has had a software version of their trem pedal in the RP series for ages - and it has a great range of trem effects. It doesn't need to be tied to an amp. It should be pretty straightforward to design and implement in the KPA.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

Edited once, last by Desiato ().