Too much metal....???

• Yeah... I feel ya.. There is a ton of metal here..doesn't really appeal to me musically but hey.. I'm just an old fart that loves guitar. I saw David Torn resurrected here.. really cool; I'd forgotten him but loved his musical drones way back when... would love to hear some Keaggy, Holdsworth.. hey Erlend Krauser laid some heavy guitar on us didn't he? I am happy to find more examples of clean tones and at some point will share some of mine. But still a rookie with this wonderful Kemper. It has inspired me though.. new music is finding it's way through me.. That's what amps and guitars should do, right; express the noise that's rattling around in our heads that we translate through our finger tips..

Rock on

Gettin' funky up in here..

• But dude, I can't express all the sounds rattling around in my head. There isn't enough blotter. I am a big metal head, but I probably record and demo more non-metal stuff than anything else. It's almost at an even level. It's kinda like when you get into a car you've never driven before. Suddenly, you notice all the other cars on the road that look just like the one you're driving. It's not that there's more of them. You're just noticing more of them. Kinda like birds. If you go to a zoo, you'll see more of them, right? Then I'm all like, "Holy shite. There's too many birds here. Somebody should bring more oxen. Everybody likes a good ol' ox." Fuck. That's not a good analogy. You know what I'm saying, right?

• Metal is "in" nowadays. Especially all the "insert your favorite word"-core stuff. Guess that might be the reason, many of the XY-core artists do play "digital stuff", guess that's one reason why many guys playing metal got the KPA.... but that's just an assumption. I got it because I need to have every digital toy when it comes to guitars :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• There are some interesting views in this thread, which run contrary to a lot of the stuff I've been hearing. For one, as far as I know, metal does not sell and as such can be considered a dying genre. Labels are unable to keep their doors open, there's just that little interest in metal.

Take a look at sites like talkbass and drummerworld, for example. There are more non-metalheads than dudes that like metal. And if you check out the forum members, most of them are really looking to get paid to play, which is why they stay away from metal. They're all looking for crowd-friendly music that doesn't involve slam-dancing.

Metal is still a sizeable sub-culture. But it has diminished considerably since it's hey-day. In fact, the biggest bands at the pinnacle of metal are still the biggest bands nowadays and attract the most crowds. Most new metal bands, on the other hand, struggle for years to make a break and some don't ever make it. For example, I was watching a video about Lamb of God, a band with a sizeable following I imagine, and they were talking about going on tour and playing in small venues across America. Those guys really bust their butts making a living as musicians, I respect them for that. Not everyone can be Metallica size, you know?

As far as metalheads posting clips, we are most definitely the guys on the bleeding edge of musical technology, so thumbs up to you guys that are brave enough to do so. It's always good to hear new sounds and ideas. Metal is not dead, so that's a plus, we're just in hibernation. What we need is the second coming and metal will never go away again.

• as far as I know, metal does not sell and as such can be considered a dying genre. Labels are unable to keep their doors open, there's just that little interest in metal.

yes this is true,its a shame but maybe modern metal has just became too extreme in its lack of melody ,and the unintelligible lyrics are also a turn off for many people. maybe its just more fun to play than it is to actually listen to. :S dont think it will actually ever die though,it has gone through plenty of ups and downs in the past and survived.

• Well, being a metal musician in pretty much the deepest underground genre of metal (brutal death metal/slam death metal) I´ll say that metal itself will never die. It just won´t - there are too many dedicated people in there (especially in the smaller subgenres) to let it die - however metal was a trend for a few years now and now it isn´t anymore so yeah. it will be out of the mainstream for a few years but it´ll be "big" again - until then we smaller-genre-guys will still have the same amount of fun :)

• yes this is true,its a shame but maybe modern metal has just became too extreme in its lack of melody ,and the unintelligible lyrics are also a turn off for many people. maybe its just more fun to play than it is to actually listen to. :S dont think it will actually ever die though,it has gone through plenty of ups and downs in the past and survived.

I'm old (63) But I love metal. But admit the lack of melody and unintelligible lyrics don't really work for me.

• I'm old (63) But I love metal. But admit the lack of melody and unintelligible lyrics don't really work for me.

I totally agree. I really dig metal, but cookie monster vocals are a turnoff.

You won't be hearing any metalcore at our gig Friday night!

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• But dude, I can't express all the sounds rattling around in my head. There isn't enough blotter. I am a big metal head, but I probably record and demo more non-metal stuff than anything else. It's almost at an even level. It's kinda like when you get into a car you've never driven before. Suddenly, you notice all the other cars on the road that look just like the one you're driving. It's not that there's more of them. You're just noticing more of them. Kinda like birds. If you go to a zoo, you'll see more of them, right? Then I'm all like, "Holy shite. There's too many birds here. Somebody should bring more oxen. Everybody likes a good ol' ox." Fuck. That's not a good analogy. You know what I'm saying, right?

savannahalex, thanks for sharing.. think I got what you're saying. See, I'm not so much about everybody else, i.e birds, cars, oxen.. as a teenager (40+ years ago) I though playing everybody else's music was being plastic (a reflection of something else, not real).. I'm still that way to this day. Even Bach wanted others to make his music theirs; and what I mean by that was play it their way, own it.. thus his 17 variations, which he applied to musical licks or passages.. play it 17 different ways.

Like you, I'm a southern boy and making ribs tonight, my own rub and sauce recipes, 5 hours of love on the back porch with a pair of M-Audio MX5's, my Kemper set with; 1966 Fender Vibrochamp, 70' 100 Marshall set clean and Mesa IIC profiles.. I'm playing a 1961 Gibson ES-175 (two original PAF's 7.15 & 7.7 ohms). I'm feeding my ribs old southern blues… rubbing the sweet sounds of BBQ pit love, 12 bar blues… clean soulful sounds, sweet overtones, biting warmth from tubes.. Duane, Dickey, Muddy, BB... sounds incredible to me. Totally satisfied with the Kemper.. amazed honestly..

Big love at cha' from GA! It's all good.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• I think the metal men here should do a fully nude hear & aid....

Might not be a good idea. I'm so hideously deformed, there's likely to be a stampede for the exit. People could die. ;(

I'm old (63) But I love metal. But admit the lack of melody and unintelligible lyrics don't really work for me.

I'm a bit old school myself. I like a lot of the 80s stuff, some of the 90s, maybe a bit of 2000s. But in each new decade. I like less of the contemporary music. Perhaps I'm getting old. But at the same time, I think the stuff I assimilated from the previous years is the stuff that is remembered today, whereas so much of the metal in recent years is just trend stuff. Look at nu-metal, burnt out in a few years. Of course, now Slipknot and Korn are making comebacks. But it's not as big as it was and lacks any kind of mass appeal

Well, being a metal musician in pretty much the deepest underground genre of metal (brutal death metal/slam death metal) I´ll say that metal itself will never die. It just won´t - there are too many dedicated people in there (especially in the smaller subgenres) to let it die - however metal was a trend for a few years now and now it isn´t anymore so yeah. it will be out of the mainstream for a few years but it´ll be "big" again - until then we smaller-genre-guys will still have the same amount of fun :)

I salute you guys. Keep those skull and crossbone flags flying high. And keep pushing the envelope, all we need is some new genre that rules them all and in the darkness binds them :thumbup:

I learnt my first riffs on kill'em all by Metallica with a charvel single HB guitar, but growing older keeps you closer to fender amps & single coils and away from heavy stuff I guess !!! "

Speak for yourself ;)
    I just got a 7 string with emgs and will get 8 string at some point for sure. Animals as leaders is imo the best thing which happened to guitar music in last 10 or more years. My favourite band at the moment is Wormed.
    Never had a Fender amp and I am not interested at all. I don't have a strat too :)
    P. S. I've learned my first riffs from early sabbath and led Zeppelin records. Gives my age away, I suppose.

• Speak for yourself ;)
    I just got a 7 string with emgs and will get 8 string at some point for sure. Animals as leaders is imo the best thing which happened to guitar music in last 10 or more years. My favourite band at the moment is Wormed.
    Never had a Fender amp and I am not interested at all. I don't have a strat too :)
    P. S. I very learned my first riffs from early sabbath and led Zeppelin records. Gives my age away, I suppose.

A fellow Wormed fan! Great to have you in this forum :D

• Ears burning from metal demo after metal demo you yearn for just one drop of the cool chimy-clangy. But lo, it's too late, for the dark lord has you. Your mouse click finger belongs to you no more... again and again, you click the soundcloud links against your will.

• There´s just too much average and boring stuff around. Not just in metal... But there are still some nice gems out there. Check this out:

http://www.metalstorm.net/even…omments.php?news_id=21011

I´ll defnitely be going. This is a once in a lifetime chance to see some of the best musicians play a Chuck Schuldiner Tribute Tour. Can´t wait.