How to set Clean Sense

• There seems to be a lot of confusion concerning the Clean Sense on the KPA. This is obviously not THE right way to do it, but it is my suggestion to get your rigs to behave the way regular amps do:

- Dial up a rig without stomps activated. Push the input button. You will now have access to both the rigs Gain knob and Clean Sense on the first soft knob.

- Strum the guitar with your right hand while dialing the gain up and down. Imagine 0 being an amp just before it starts to break up. How does volume change when you go from clean (0) to distorted? Your regular amp will get louder up until the point where it is so saturated that it only gets more compressed. Set Clean Sense so that you get a natural transition from clean to distorted. Or set it so that you get a transition that you like (I set it so that clean is sliiightly louder than it would be on an amp).

- Try this with more than one rig, as a few odd rigs behave a bit differently for some reason...

With my guitars, which have somewhat low output, I end up around 5 for single coils and 3 for humbuckers.

Treating Clean Sense like this will make life easier on the KPA (at least mine!). No big level surprises when you insert an OD stomp etc.

• I dont think that a guitar should have fixed levels of clean and distortion sense. Having looked at Maurizio's beginners pack, he has different settings per patch. Some are default, some tweaked. This to me seems more advanced and the profiles do sound quite even in terms of volume.

• I dont think that a guitar should have fixed levels of clean and distortion sense. Having looked at Maurizio's beginners pack, he has different settings per patch. Some are default, some tweaked. This to me seems more advanced and the profiles do sound quite even in terms of volume.

Why? What's the point in adjusting per patch?

The reason for using Clean Sense is leveling the transistion/balance between clean and distorted. Once you've found the setting that fits the output of a particular guitar, there's no point in changing it. Use different settings for different guitars.

The reason for adjusting Distortion Sense would be if you needed to use presets made for a particular guitar, with a guitar equipped with weaker or hotter pickups. It's just a global gain trim.