Output Volume - HOT HOT HOT

• I had a gig tonight and once again the sound man told me that my output was very hot.

I do run my profiles quite high in terms of the cab volume etc... but the master out on the Kemper was at about 4-5%. I physically couldnt turn it down any more ....

Anyone else have this problem ?

Is there a case for developing a setting that allows you to almost power stage the output ?

I had very little headroom in terms of adjustments and ended up going into Performance mode and turning down the profiles individually......

Maybe its just me that has this problem ?

?(

• Turn the Main Output down to -10dB--that is a "line level" similar to a keyboard or other gear. That's what I do and no more complaints.

Yes, it's too hot otherwise unless the sound guy is smart enough to have and use the pad switch on their board, which they never want to push for some reason...

J

• I experienced a lot (maybe the majority) rigs on the forum and on exchange with too much volume :S
    It is a common sense that raising the volume the sound seems better (loud is loud :D ), but at the end when you normalize the rig each other, what counts is the tone, not the volume...

For most of the rigs the volume should be set with cabinet volume at "0" db level and rig volume at "0". If the rig is plenty of effects, especially with EQ and compressor we have to change the cabinet/rig volume accordingly to maintein the same output volume.
    For the master output a good start should be:
    1) for headphone/PC sound cards between 8 and 9 ( around -3 db);
    2) for mixer and LIVE setting between 7 and 8 (around -6 db).

Hope this can help...

• Connection???

some mixer switch automaticlly to mic level when you come with xlr

had this problem with the line out of my JVM410H ....

line level was on the cable --- mixer thought .... ah xlr cable switch to mic ---- output was waaaay to hot!

Changed cable ---- problem done ;)

• Connection???

some mixer switch automaticlly to mic level when you come with xlr

^ this seems to be the most common scenario, a line level signal should be treated as such. ;)

had this problem with the line out of my JVM410H ....

line level was on the cable --- mixer thought .... ah xlr cable switch to mic ---- output was waaaay to hot!

actually, the output was fine, the input gain of the mixing board was way to high. :D

• I think profiles are automatically normalised in the Kemper. If you set your clean settings right, there should be no perceptible difference between patches.

At least, I think so. :rolleyes:

profiles are all different volume wise when you get them as you know. I usually have to boost the Cab volume and even pop in a lead boost on some clean sounds to get the levels up.

• If you're using the XLR outputs, they can be extremely hot relative to mic levels.

My rack has attenuators inline between the main outs and my breakout panel.

I use Hosa ATT-448s because they're inexpensive and adjustable. IIRC, I set them to pad by -30 dB to get a level approximating a mic output given "normal" settings of the Kemper.

• Good solution ! and nice cost too ....so they'll cut about max 20dB off the signal ? Just though it would be a lot easier if there should be an on-board function that did this ?

They're switchable to -20, -30 or -40.

The nice thing about the Kemper is that the main outs are hot enough to drive just about any power amp. A lot of modelers can't do that; they max out at about +4 dBU.

It's a lot cheaper and easier to attenuate a too-hot signal than it is to boost a too-weak signal.

• I usually have to boost the Cab volume and even pop in a lead boost on some clean sounds to get the levels up.

My Clean Sens is as far in the minus as I can set it

These 2 things are directly related. If you want your clean sounds to be louder across all rigs, you need to turn your Clean Sense up. I set mine at 5.0. You should not have to fiddle with cab volumes or lead boosts to compensate.

• Page 56 of the reference manual: "Don’t worry too much about achieving a perfect volume match; during the profiling procedure the Return Level will be further fine-tuned automatically to match the unity level of the Kemper Profiler."

I guess I misunderstood this. I assumed it meant that the volume of individual profiles would be matched during the profiling process, therefore eliminating the need to change the volume later on. Then again, why would they have a rig volume and master volume? ^^