Graphical representation of studio equalizer

• I never had the feeling that a graphic studio EQ would be necessary. If you are a little bit familiar with frequencies and know how they work and sound, then a graphical representation on such a small display is not of particular benefit.

Play it like you mean it.

• This i such a BS. If this i tru that it is not nesserary to see what you are doing, why make any led light at all. For people that do not have munch experience in adjusting a studio eq it always good to see whats happening on a screen.

If all the experts doun't need the on screen graphics just close you eyes or look the other way.

I think a lot of people will and can benefit from getting visuel representation of the graphics eq.

Just my 2 cent.

:D

• I agree that adjusting EQs should be done mainly by ear. Later if you want to know if or what was changed you need some kind of visual aid. That's why there are LED's and numeric parameters for tone controls and EQ. Currently if you want to know what changes are applied by the studio EQ you have to scroll through four pages of settings. A graphic filter curve on the first page would give you a quick overview of the combined cuts and boosts of this EQ. Especially if applying cuts and boosts in overlapping frequency bands the resulting curve isn't always that obvious. I have devices displaying such a curve and I find it very helpful.

• My take on this topic:

I think it's helpful to have some graphical representation of the parameters. While most people should be able to dial in frequencies and gain without eye-candy curves, especially the Q-factor can be pretty confusing for those with little to no EQ experience. Always nice to have some graphical help. We're all learning different things every day, right? :)

Of course the benefit of this curve is a bit limited as long as you don't see the realtime audio spectrum as well and I guess this would be overkill for our neat toaster.

So I would say: Good feature request, should be done some day. But imho not with highest priority.

Cheers,
    Martin

• I heard one of the best reasons against this in a UAD video:
    A user said if he'd have visual feedback of what he was doing by ear, he might get concerned about applying cuts and boosts that were too extreme, instead of just trusting his ears.

I think I saw the same video.

Trust your ears, seriously. Don't doubt yourself and just go for it! If it sounds good, it is good :)

• I heard one of the best reasons against this in a UAD video:
    A user said if he'd have visual feedback of what he was doing by ear, he might get concerned about applying cuts and boosts that were too extreme, instead of just trusting his ears.

The visual feedback is already there since you can see all the values you are applying. Having the curve graph would only make it better especially due to the Q-factor, making it easier to see what frequencies are you affecting with it.

• everyone has the right to voice his/her opinion here.

"This is such (a) BS." is not the kind of argument that'll work in this forum.

[quote='Gibson','index.php?page=Thread&postID=109275#post109275']This i such a BS.

everyone has the right to voice his/her opinion here.

"This is such (a) BS." is not the kind of argument that'll work in this forum.[/quote

Sorry Don! I didn't meen it so hard as I wrote...I take the BS back :D

• I agree that some kind of info in the empty rectangle would be helpful. Mostly because you need to scroll 3 pages to see your eq settings.

Doesn't have to be graphical to me. Could just be a list of the settings for the 4 bands.

• I don't care about a graphical representation; I have ears and the numbers are more than enough for me.

What I do want is a true HPF/LPF in the equalizer, and no, the Wah filter blocks DO NOT cut it. I wan't full parametric control of the unit like I'd have in the most basic of stock DAW eqs.

• The visual feedback is already there since you can see all the values you are applying. Having the curve graph would only make it better especially due to the Q-factor, making it easier to see what frequencies are you affecting with it.

Indeed! ;)

• I think the EQ visualisation is fine as it is ... plus shows the thick black bar go up over the line and minus shows it go down / under.Just picture a curve from the centre point of each bar / column and join the dots .....simples :)

• I don't care about a graphical representation; I have ears and the numbers are more than enough for me.

What I do want is a true HPF/LPF in the equalizer, and no, the Wah filter blocks DO NOT cut it. I wan't full parametric control of the unit like I'd have in the most basic of stock DAW eqs.

+1

• I think the EQ visualisation is fine as it is ... plus shows the thick black bar go up over the line and minus shows it go down / under.Just picture a curve from the centre point of each bar / column and join the dots .....simples :)

That's the graphical eq, not the parametric ("studio").

I approximate this with the Studio EQ's shelves. Unfortunately you have no Q control, but if you set them around -10 db then fiddle around, you can find good frequencies to approach the HP/LP drop-off you likely want. I find I like to use frequencies that are below/above what I'd use on a real HP/LP. So like 40 HZ and 30 kHZ. At some point in the near future I'll post some graphs or a video of what the Q factor looks like and how you can get them to approximate a HP or LP filter.

I find ears are like a Fourrier Transform. When you tweak an EQ and expect X but are actually getting Y, you are listening for X and hear something change but it's not what you expected and may end up chasing your tail. Numbers are very helpful (L6 can **serious explitives**). I certainly wouldn't mind a graphical visulation of the Studio EQ. The Graphic has one!