Setting Global EQ on the powerhead to work with guitar speakers

• Has anyone had any luck using the GLOBAL EQ on the powerhead (using the internal amp) to leave the cab sims on while using guitar speakers as opposed to FRFR speakers?
    If so, would you post the type of speaker and the settings on the EQ that you use to "flatten" the speaker contour/coloration? The settings will obviously be different for every type/brand but some of them like the EV Classic 12 don't have as much coloration as Celestions or Eminence Red Coats so I am hoping it will work if I can find the right settings.

• jamme61
    There is too much coloring and frequency canceling for me. I tried taking the cab sims off but then I had issues because the profiles have different speakers and/or cabs. So it didn't work to try to use one particular cab or one speaker for all of the profiles. The hard part of this for me was accepting that the Kemper technology actually works right. In other words, I had played through Line 6 for many years and that technology never quite made it for me. Then I went to Fractal for several years, much better IMO but still had to play with different power amps, speakers, etc. because I never thought that they sounded that good through FRFR speakers. The Kemper actually sounds right to me through FRFR speakers using the cab sims. Now here is the ambiguity. I am finding out that, not all but many FRFR speakers have their own signature coloration. They might be full range but flat response is another matter. So I have to go in and set the global EQ for each different FRFR that I use. I have a very flat set of excellent headphones that I use to tweak ALL of my rigs. This gives me a "control." Then if I change an FRFR speaker, I just have to reset the global EQ to that FRFR speaker and all of my rigs sound right.
    guitarnet70
    You may be absolutely right on this but I haven't had time to try to EQ one yet to see how close I can get it. Some of them do have huge frequency humps and/or dips but others are more flat. The amount of global EQing for the speakers that have very large variances may well be out of the manipulation range of the 4 band bass, middle, treble, and presence available in the Kemper global EQ. I suspect that I will only end up with a percentage of the original tone available through a "true" FRFR but if it is close enough to get over 90%, for me it would be great to only have to bring a little one 12 cab and a powerhead to band practice.

• Hey Tony,
    it seems to me that the problem at the root of it is what you mentioned: you're not relying on real FRFR loudspeakers only. This, by definition, implies that you can't get the whole and faithful reproduction the Profiler is able of unless you EQ them properly.
    You can store different Output Eqs to be used in different situations but, having said this, it's not granted that with a 4-knob tonestack you'd be able to flatten anything. OTOH it doesn't have to be flat, but just musical and to your liking. You might try with an EQ in the FX section for a higher versatility. And remember you can always save the EQ settings with the name of the cab you're using for a fast recall in any circumstances. The only drawback being that you'll have to waste a slot.

Also, I'm not sure I get your point when you write

I tried taking the cab sims off but then I had issues because the profiles have different speakers and/or cabs

If you use a guitar cab, you're - again, by definition - giving up the "real" profile sound. Non that it's bad in itself, if you like what you hear and it's usable. Of course 100 different (real or virtual) amps will sound closer to each other when played through the same (real) cab. Those who love to use their real cabs with an amp or a Profiler trade off versatility for a sound they like best.

Let me know if I can be of further help :)

• Hey Viabcroce,
    I was trying to say the same thing that you said. The English language is so ambiguous sometimes but I think that is how lawyers make a living here in the USA. ;)
    Let me clarify a little. When one takes the cab sims off, one looses part of the original signal chain of the profile. That was an issue for me because in most cases I liked the cab and/or speaker that was in the profile to start with. It is hard to find one guitar speaker that can do it all well. So my intention here is to use the Kemper WITH the cab sims BUT to try to EQ the signature sonic foot print out of a guitar speaker so that it works more like an FRFR. I think that I might have a good chance of doing that with an EV Classic 12 because they don't color things as much as a Vintage 30 or Greenback.
    I see you are from Roma! I've been there a couple of times. Very cool place. The scooter drivers are amazing!

• Haha yes, they can be at times :P

Well, if this is your favourite scenario, then I'd suggest you try a FR-guitar cab, such as Matrix ones. They are not full range, but are by far flatter than an usual guitar cab. This also helps band-passing the whole signal, making it less faithful to the signal outputted by the Profiler but more to the liking of many players.
    By this choice you might have the "punch" you're after along with a certain amount of "fidelity" which would help the Profiler shine. And with cab sim on, tones would be much closer to the original, profiled amp than using a traditional guitar cab.
    This having been said, the more linear your whole system, the more you'll hear the "real" sound of a profile, more or less the way you're hearing it through your headphones.

The exercise of try and flatten the response curve of a guitar cab is destined to fail in any case IMO. But if you content yourself with just "getting a tone you like" rather than "flattening the cab response", you might end up to something nevertheless.

Note: Matrix are not the only ones making such a kind of FR guitar cabs, and I'm pretty sure you can find USA-made stuff as well. But, as reported from many American users, Matrix delivery fast and cheap. And their reputation is very good.
    (Trick: in case you don't like their cabs and want to return them, ask them to pay for the delivery at their rate, which is lower. You'll refund them, but it will cost much less to you)

HTH

:)