S/PDIF Outputs 16 or 24 bit?

• I'm trying to interface the Kemper digital I/O with my YAmaha 01V96i 2 Track IEC 60958 interconnects. Anybody out there have any suggestions? I've got the clock rate set to 44.1 but I'm still having problems and getting a "Sync Error 2TR" on the board. Was thinking the Kemper may be outputting 16 bit can't find a reference anywhere in the re-amping literature online. Are the Kemper S/PDIFs 24 bit or 16 bit; can they be configured differently??

Also, The error message refers to checking the clock source of the device, i.e. the Kemper.. Is the Kemper acting as the Master or can the Kemper be slaved to the Board clock?

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Well... it's working but... I'm getting a nasty little clip on the direct signal side of the s/pdif. I've tried all kinds of things but to no success. I'm thinking it has something to do with clocking or bit counts.... It's almost perfect, I could use the sound but I want it right... I spent yesterday trying to rework the input stage clean sense which helped and I've reworked the amp section to where my output led is flickering red and orange on accents... but still that pesky zagged edge clip ... right off a beautiful 61' ES175 neck PAF.. crap.

I'm convinced it's a signal chain thing.. I've got my Kemper going through the 2-Track Digital I/O of the Yamaha 01V96i and USB to the computer running Cubase 7.... so three points of potential failure.. I'm thinking about just rebuilding everything from scratch and see if I can whip it. More to follow..

• So, I just started with the board and Kemper.. I've got the clocking source as the Kemper at 44.1 and the board indicates everything is sync'd correctly. I've set my input levels at pre-eq that sow a signal level at -6, so nice level no clipping there, also clean on post eq and post fader. So it has to be the Kemper..

I'm getting orange and red led's on the output when the Stack is turned on; off it's green. I don't really see any variation when I turn on/off amp, eq, cabinet individually.

Any thoughts?

• clipping can be a strange beast in that some tones fare worse than others even if they display (and sound like) the same overall level. Try lowering the volume on the rig and see if the output LED stays green/orange instead of red. does that improve the recorded sound?

If you hold the output button, you should be able to change the SPDIF out send level.

It does this on all profiles?

• Yep, clipping IS a strange beast!! But I've got it now.. finally. It was a combination of things; first the clock master needed to be Kemper, so each time I turn on my board, I've to turn the Kemper on first or I have to reset the Master on the board. The input stage of the Kemper was not a problem. There two items that shared in the problem; the first was the Stack's cabinet volume, which I lowered; the second was the amp volume which was slightly above 12 o'clock, which I lowered to 11-ish. Nice clean sounds now..

Re-amping was the next hurdle.. but I completed it today, thanks to @lightbox's video, and have my first Kemper scratch tracks!! Yeah.. So now.. three more songs to finish guitar tracks before next Thursday and the VOX comes in!! Gonna be a party!