File name "kaos.bin" too imprecise

• It would be very helpful if the file kaos.bin, which is already included in the OS, would be so named that you can see on the file name which version it is (eg 2.1.1_8853). That would probably not a big job for the programmer.
    If you have this file on a USB stick, it is impossible to see what FW it is.

Play it like you mean it.

Edited once, last by WS ().

• And what's the benefit?
    When you plug your stick into your kemper it shows the version-nr on the screen, when it asks to install the firmware.

As an alternative just create a copy of the file in the folder and rename it to your desire. If you want to install a particular version, copy/rename kaos_2.1.1_8853.bin to kaos.bin and you're ready to go.

by the way, checking the date of the file may helps you to identify the right version.

• I see no need for that.

The zips have all the "naming" info one could want.

The "autoplay" function on the Kemper, when you plug the stick in works fine as it is and would become difficult to maintain.
    Not certain if there are more references to the file name in the code.

Kaos.bin would be Kemper.exe oder Kemper.app on WIN/OSX.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• That would probably not a big job for the programmer.
    If you have this file on a USB stick, it is impossible to see what FW it is.

There is a minimal firmware loader that allows the recovery procedure in case a firmware doesn't boot for any reason. To keep this very small and lean, it only supports FAT16/32 with 8.3 filename convention. So the firmware filename needed to match these criteria.

KAOS means "Kemper Amp Operating System".

That it sounds like "chaos" is an intended, yet funny (at least from my POV) co-incidence.

Timo

• And what's the benefit?

I always have a USB stick with an older FW thereby when I'm at gigs. If I look up at the PC trying to see what version it is, it is impossible, since all versions have the same name kaos.bin. Thus, an assignment of the exacte version number is not possible and therefore I must every time copy the desired version of the USB stick to make sure that it is the desired version of me.

Play it like you mean it.

• I always have a USB stick with an older FW thereby when I'm at gigs. If I look up at the PC trying to see what version it is, it is impossible, since all versions have the same name kaos.bin. Thus, an assignment of the exacte version number is not possible and therefore I must every time copy the desired version of the USB stick to make sure that it is the desired version of me.

Create a directory on the stick - call it zip and put the files there. The zips have "tale-telling" filenames.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Bottom line:

The KPA boot loader needs to find a fixed filename in order to automatically upgrade. I doubt they will change this.

Solution:

Keep separate USB sticks if you want to recover to more than one FW version. Surely nobody needs more than 2. One would be beta and the other trusted.

On the user's PC, zip files named to reflect each FW can be kept in an archive folder and extracted to one of the USB sticks as needed.