Monitoring issue tonight at sound check

• Here's a weird one....

First of my setup: Large stage setup for this particular gig, so forgive the overkill :thumbup: surround sound 8o
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kemper Main Left XLR to XLR FOH (1/4" cable to a Mustang III sitting rear stage)
    Kemper Main Right XLR to XLR FOH (1/4" cable to a Mustang III sitting rear stage)

Kemper Monitor out > Left 1/4"(Unbalanced) to XLR Yamaha DXR10 sitting front stage.
    Kemper Direct out > Right 1/4"(Unbalanced) to XLR Yamaha DXR10 sitting front stage.

OK the issue....I set FOH so that they get a straight -10db and then only my volume pedal increases are in my monitors and the Engineer takes care of the FOH mixing.
    I noticed my DXR's weren't sounding equal, so I go to he Kemper and look at the output and see that the db on the monitor and direct outs are the same -22db.

I had to end up setting the direct out much different than the monitor out, don't recall where i ended up but I want to say I was around 10 or 12 db different maybe. Same cable, same DXR10 (swapped)

Why would the direct out be set so different than the the monitor in regards to db level? :huh:
    It would be nice to know before tomorrow if anyone can comment.

I'm BAFFELED ?(

• The Monitor out used to default +12db (IIRC), though I've been a while out of the loop and I'm not sure whether it is still the case. Just adjust accordingly.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yeah something similar here - same Db settings but the main out sounded ( a good bit) lower in volume. I was just using the L main out XLR set to mono compared to the unbalanced monitor out.The volume difference was noticeable. I can understand your concern on a gig critical situation where you may assume you have missed another setting - if its just a volume difference then you can adjust for it.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• Hi,
    I think I had something simular a while ago, (se bellow from earlier thread).

Maybe this could help you ?

// Björn

Problem was different levels out from "Monitor out" and "Direct out".then setting those to Master Left and Master Right.
    Match same level out on Master page 2.
    I connected those to my mixer instead when I tested the second time,,equal settings on gain input mixer.
    Testing with a lot of different rigs but level from "Direct out port" was much lower then "Monitor out port".

I even tested to disable Stomps, Stack and Effect section but same problem, level out from "Direct out" lower.
    I downgrade to 1.8.2 but no difference.
    Upgrade again to 2.0.0 beta but no difference.

Finaly made a "total reset", Formating Flash and Init Flash, testing levels with Def rig comming up after that and levels are equal.
    (Had to do some settings again under Master section of course before trying).

Made a restore of my backup I had taken before reset and now I got the problem back.

Doing a total reset again and this time I did not restore my backup instead I had to import all my rigs and make my midisettings and all the other settings from scratch again.
    Now are levels out equal, problem gone, so this was the soloution.

Happy Kemper guy again :)

// Björn