Midi Foot Controller

• Hello !
    I'm Mickey and I am a new Kemper owner.

To tell you the truth, I bought the Kemper a week ago, and I didn't have the time to use it to much (studies and working [mostly for the kemper :P ).
    Anyway , thing that made me curious is about the Midi controller.

Iv'e searched on the forum and I saw some answering but I'm still confused.

1. Which is the best midi controller for Kemper? - I saw that there is the UNO4KEMPER which is sound great but I know that compering to other brands, the FCB1010 is toy + I prefer a screen that shows the patch name and not only the number of the bank.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong ,but I've read that kemper company is with conntact with some other companies about creating Midi foot controller that will fit to Kemper - is that correct?

Thanks,
    and sorry for my English.

Mickey

• ברוך הבא, חבוב.

There's no official footswitch as of yet - it's been talked about before, but Kemper is generally against publishing release dates, for fear of someone holding the company to them.

The FCB1010 is not really profiler compatible.
    There is an alternative chip called U4K, or Uno-4-Kemper which can be installed inside an FCB1010 board to make it compatible.

Non-compatible MIDI boards can still be used with the profiler - MIDI is MIDI is MIDI - so you can pre-set a number to each rig in browse mode and use any MIDI board to switch between them, and in performance mode the patches are auto-assigned - so the first song has numbers 1-5, second song has 6-10 and so forth.
    A profiler-compatible board can have a button that changes songs up/down, buttons that go to sound no. 3 or 4 in a song, buttons that turn stomps and effects on or off, change parameters (like volume or delay mix) and the ability to read information from the profiler - so it can write the name of a sound on the screen or tell when a certain stomp/effect is on or off.

I don't know of any truly profiler-compatible footswitches other than the U4K and the FCB1010 is way too big and heavy for me, so i ended up building my own.
    If you can handle some programming, wiring and solder i can show you how to do it.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• same here: Rocktron All Access. if you link two expression pedals on this PB I think the better controller would be just the KPA one coming in the next future. the other, in my opinion, don't have the same features in controlling the kemper. just my opinion though

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Welcome Mickey! :)

Well ,if you think the FCB is a toy you're totally misinformed.
    I notice some Behringer bashing without any substantial background here.

The 'best' is and will be always subjective of course, but until the original Kemper controller will hit the market I'd say that the FCB1010 UnO4K is indeed the 'best' bang for the buck because it does so much at a very affordable price.

I'd say that the FCB1010 UnO4K is indeed the 'best' bang for the buck
    because it does so much at a very affordable price.

I agree. I have a "Uno4Kemper chiped FCB1010" and compared with my Rocktron MIDI Raider and additional expression pedals, which is much more expensive, has a very good and really attractively priced solution.
    With this setup, you can go on stage without a problem.

Manu ;)

NO RUST - NO GLORY !

• To dismiss the FCB1010 as a toy is misinformed. It is a very professional and powerful MIDI controller. With the UNO chip (standard not UNO for Kemper) it can do things some much more expensive controllers can not.

• I've used an FCB1010 with the standard uno chip for the past 8 years or so. it's done hundreds of gigs controlling Pods, V-Amp Pro, Voodu Valve, PSA-1, JMP-1, GSP1101, Axe Ultra and now the KPA and never let me down once. Not bad for a toy! ;)

• To dismiss the FCB1010 as a toy is misinformed. It is a very professional and powerful MIDI controller. With the UNO chip (standard not UNO for Kemper) it can do things some much more expensive controllers can not.

?( What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the UnO vs. Uno4Kemper if you're only using the FCB1010 with a KPA? How is the Uno different from the U4K?

• I agree. I have a "Uno4Kemper chiped FCB1010" and compared with my Rocktron MIDI Raider and additional expression pedals, which is much more expensive, has a very good and really attractively priced solution.
    With this setup, you can go on stage without a problem.

Manu ;)

I too have both a Midiraider (which i use with a single mission sp-1 expression pedal) and a FCB1010 (with Uno4Kemper eprom).. Surprisingly, I prefer the much cheaper FCB1010. It just works so well and is in a neat (but slightly long) package. Good things dont always have to be expensive it seems.

• ?( What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the UnO vs. Uno4Kemper if you're only using the FCB1010 with a KPA? How is the Uno different from the U4K?

The UnO can send any midi CC, and even several 2 of them, per switch.
    This means you can control anything in a device that's assignable to a CC.
    The UnO4K OTOH is pre- configured plug'n'play for the profiler.
    It can't do delay mix by pedal for example.
    As I'm only using the profiler and don't have to control other devices at the same time I am using the UnO4K for now.
    But I also have the UnO chip as well and with the use of the right editor like the control center from lg-fcb.com programming is very easy

• ?( What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the UnO vs. Uno4Kemper if you're only using the FCB1010 with a KPA? How is the Uno different from the U4K?

Basically, U4K is like an automatic transmission, and UnO is manual.

U4K has two-way communication with the Kemper, so it can tell you what patch you're on, change around the lights to tell you what stomps are being used on each patch, and the number display can be used as a tuner. UnO is one-way, so you get none of those things. However, U4K only has a couple of settings for you to customize the board with (swapping which row is patches and which row is stomps, swapping the pedals, etc), while UnO will let you configure the board however you damn well want. You want one button to send three different patch changes on three different MIDI channels while also changing what your pedals are assigned to and adjusting the reverb mix? UnO will probably do that. However, it's a hell of a lot more complicated.

• Thanks for your replies, but isn't it bother you that the FCB1010 doesn't have a display of the patch itself?

and somebody, who own the reguler UNO chip, told me that since he was using the UNO the "switch time" between patched increase in 0.5 a second - just to make clear, he doesn't have the Kemper. So, is it the same with the UNO4K? Do you experiencing some delay with the respond time between patches?