Power amp in Power rack only for monitor use ?

• Hello Forum
    I'm using my Power rack for a few weeks now and I'm getting used a litle better, to all the possibilities of the Kemper .

A few questions:

I have the Power rack version with the built in power amp.
    I use the speaker output to a Bogner cabinet with the amps simulation switched off.
    I'm not happy with this cabinet and think that the main outs (into a mixer ) gives the best sound and is cutting true the mix way better .
    But if I want to use it that way I have to buy me a Full PA system?
    - Is there a way to use the main output together with the built in amp so I only have to buy a good Full range speaker?
    - Is a full range speaker connected to the "speaker output"of the power rack version with the Cab simulation on gonna work , or is this only possible connected to the main ouputs?

Edited once, last by Dorrus ().

• Just uncheck the "monitor out cab off" case in the main menu and connect a passive FRFR cab (Matrix makes a great one) to the monitor out, the mains remains free for FOH

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Before thinking about a different solution, try to equalize your Bognet cab with the monitor eq.

Did that, sounds good and fat ( so thats O.K ) and some rigs cut true the mix, but a lot rigs doesn't .
    With the same rigs and main out into the PA, its sounds not only a bit better but the rigs are cutting better.
    Also tried adding more mids and presence but that also didn't bring what I wanted.

• Just uncheck the "monitor out cab off" case in the main menu and connect a passive FRFR cab (Matrix makes a great one) to the monitor out, the mains remains free for FOH

Thanks, So with the "monitor out cab off " I'm going to use the Cab sims wright ?
    "FRFR "" is Full Range Flat Response
    but what does "FOH "stands for please ?

Greatings Dorrus

• Dorrus

What 'Mix' are you talking about?
    Are you talking about what you hear onstage when you're playing, or are you talking about what the people in the audience hear through the PA system?
    When you play your PowerRack into your Bogner cab onstage (Cabinets OFF), it's your personal amp/monitoring system, you're not in the 'Mix'.
    When you play your PowerRack/Bogner Cab onstage and send the Main Outs (Cabinets ON) from your Kemper to the PA system then yes you're in the 'Mix' (FOH).

If you don't like your Bogner Cabinet, you can buy a good 'Full Range' passive (no poweramp) speaker and connect your PowerRack "Monitor Out' (Cabinets ON) to the 'Full Range/ passive speaker.
    But, you're wasting money and you're not making full use of the brilliant Kemper Poweramp.
    Your best bet is to do like CK said, use the Monitor EQ on your Bogner Cab and save yourself money by not buying a 'Full Range/FRFR' passive speaker...you don't need it.

I can't believe a 'Full Range' passive speaker (Cabinets ON) will sound better than your guitar cabinet (Cabinet OFF) when using the Kempers poweramp.
    But, your ears must decide what you prefer.

• Hi Guitartone,
    Sound / volume and presence of my guitarsound is perfect over the PA , :thumbup:
    What's comming out of the PA speakers and what the audiance is hearing over of the PA system is OK.
    Problem is the sound that comming out of the monitor speaker ( a bogner 2x12 in my case )
    I plugged this cab in on the back of my KPA with build in amp for monitoring becourse this is the Kemper Power rack version
    I don't use the cab sim over this guitar cab but cab sim is on over the main outs to the PA system
    I am very happy with the sound thats comming out of my monitor cab (with cab sim of ) but the problem is that I can only hear myself, when I'm playing alone.
    When the band starts playing I don't allways hear my own sound on the stage.
    In other words :I hear a lot of noise comming from the drummer and the bassplayer and the other musisians but I cant regonize my own sound comming true.
    Its not becourse I'm not loud enough, its becourse my guitar sound is not comming " true the mix" so its not cut through
    I thought it whas a common way to call this problem " true the mix" or not " sits in the mix ", when your playing loud but can't regonize your own sound
    Its not with all rigs and it depends a lot off the rig thats used
    As example: The Marshall jcm800 hotmod rigs dont have this problem at all, but if I only can use these sounds I might as well buy me a jcm800 :D;)
    Another problem is the fact that you don't hear this when you make a choice off rigs at home/
    Rigs that I thought were perfect at home (over the stereo )were unusable when playing with the band ?(

Thats why I thought I could solve this problem with another FRFR cab for monitoring
    Whats comming out of the PA is OK, thats why I whas wondering if my guitar cab is perhaps the problem
    But I don't want to waste anymore money becourse a lot of it is gone afther paying for my KPA :D

Edited 8 times, last by Dorrus ().

• Hi Dorrus,

Given that you say you can't hear yourself when the other members of the band are playing, I think your best solution is to boost the mid frequencies of the monitor-output EQ in the Kemper's output section. This tends to be the simplest and fastest way to make something 'cut through the mix'. You may want to also boost the upper frequencies a little bit as well to compensate. Don't boost the bass frequencies though as that will not help, and if anything will 'hide' your sound again. Bear in mind that after doing this you should make slight volume adjustments to compensate for the boosted frequencies, and that if you make your sound too prominent you may piss-off your fellow band mates. Work with them, I would suggest altering you sound in a rehearsal, especially if you get to rehearse where you are going to play.