EQ's as part of stack or amp

• Its very common for users, as well as the comercial profiles to include EQs in the X slot as a means of tweaking the sound. The problem with this is that this is (at least for me) where I like to put my solo boost. Since EQ's are generally being used to shape the overall sound and therefore left on all the time, it makes sense fof them to be incorporated as part of the amp or stack. For example you, select the amp and hit the left arrow and it brings up a screen allowing you to use one of the eq options before the amp, or select to the right and it brings up a screen allowing you to add EQ after the amp. This frees up a slot for a solo boost or something else and when using an EQ all the time it puts it where it belongs, as part of the amp, rather than an effect you plan to turn on and off.
    Of course, allow the Kemper to still put the EQ effects in the slots like many users are doing now.

I had mentioned this before, but perhaps a global solo boost option (that didn't use up a slot) could also be implemented. Perhaps give the option to place it before or after the amp section and allow custom per-rig boost levels with the option for a fixed override global level. So some who want to have rig specific boost levels can set them accordingly, but if they change their mind and just want a set global boost for everything, say 5 db's they can turn on global boost and be set. Assign the global boost to a midi number and its done.

If either of these suggestions are done, it will make the Kemper much more flexible than it already is.

• I had mentioned this before, but perhaps a global solo boost option (that didn't use up a slot) could also be implemented. Perhaps give the option to place it before or after the amp section and allow custom per-rig boost levels with the option for a fixed override global level. So some who want to have rig specific boost levels can set them accordingly, but if they change their mind and just want a set global boost for everything, say 5 db's they can turn on global boost and be set. Assign the global boost to a midi number and its done.

Would locking the Stack-EQ help you in this matter?

Timo

• Maybe some people (like me) like to have a modulation effect in the mod slot?
    +1 for both of his suggestions (additional EQ in the stack section and global boost)!

I cannot see the need for having EQs in the effect section all the time. The Stack EQ is your friend.

However, how about the MOD slot for the boost ?

Sorry but if there is need to boost/cut some frequencies in a outputs (exact way) you have to compensate that with slot-eq after stack...or put additional harware between KPA and poweramp as it seems to be with some users.
    Maybe that stack-eq request is good idea for that also.

• love that idea.

a switchable boost is a common things for guitar players... i think one of the most common things when playing live. some use it pre-amp to have more gain, some post-amp to just "be louder" while soloing. i'm the second one. some even like to boost all frequencies and additionally boost the mids a little more. a midi (cc) (foot)switchable boost, incorporated as an eq, could solve this without having to sacrifice one of the two precious stereo-slots (x and mod). but for me a boost (0-10db adjustable and footswitchable per cc) would suffice

i know that you can create another rig for boosting... but a boost-switch would make things easier and cause less tapdancing

• my setup (for example) is: 5 basic patches that cover most stuff... one bank, instant access. if i want to solo, i just hit the boost (on my old g-system). if i made a second rig for every boost-situation, these 5 basic sounds (+boosts) would take 2 banks... ergo tap-dancing the banks when switching between those patches... and you would double quantity of rigs.

• I could use the mod slot for a boost, but then I'd lose the ability to use a mod effect there. I also use to have a g-system, which I sold to afford the Kemper. I loved having a boost switch, so I could simply boost whatever patch I was using. Perhaps global settings for a boost could allow the user to set pre or post amp or whatever? I'd prefer to be able to do more with fewer rigs, which is why I don't want to give up my mod slot for a simple solo boost. The more rigs I have to worry about managing, the more annoying things are. The ability to save an eq and a boost without giving up a slot would be a huge upgrade in terms of the flexibility of this product. I have no idea if such a change would be a feasible request, as I understand next to nothing about how this thing works. In addition, to be worthwhile, it would have to be something that would need to be compatible with the upcoming dedicated controller.

• I could use the mod slot for a boost, but then I'd lose the ability to use a mod effect there. I also use to have a g-system, which I sold to afford the Kemper. I loved having a boost switch, so I could simply boost whatever patch I was using. Perhaps global settings for a boost could allow the user to set pre or post amp or whatever? I'd prefer to be able to do more with fewer rigs, which is why I don't want to give up my mod slot for a simple solo boost. The more rigs I have to worry about managing, the more annoying things are. The ability to save an eq and a boost without giving up a slot would be a huge upgrade in terms of the flexibility of this product. I have no idea if such a change would be a feasible request, as I understand next to nothing about how this thing works. In addition, to be worthwhile, it would have to be something that would need to be compatible with the upcoming dedicated controller.

+1 :D

• I think the most powerful solution would be to make the EQ more like the effects slots, where you can select the type of EQ. So tone stack would be the default option, but could be switched to a Graphic or Studio EQ. But this would also mean that once selected, the physical bass, mids, treb, pres knobs would not work as before - which could be dangerous in a gig situation where a quick adjustment is needed.

The overall gain is not simply to use X as a booster but to fit an additional post effect.

• The volume pedal can serve as a booster since day one. It does not take a slot.
    When the RANGE is set positive, it boosts from the actual state, rather than attenuating.

thank you for taking the time to respond and discuss.

there are many possibilities to realize a boost function in the rig. but they all are based on sacrificing another important function.

if we used the volume pedal for boosting (heel: normal volume, toe: boost volume), we'd loose the volume-swell-option. if we tried to use all functions of the volume pedal (heel: no volume, something in the middle: normal volume, toe: boost volume) there'd be a problem finding the right "normal volume", since a foot-based pedal does not give tactile feedback about the actual position (in contrast to visual feedback on keyboards' volume pots).

a simple boost option (0-10db) with cc-switching in the amp/eq section would be a big benefit for live performances. :thumbup:
    an additional boost-eq would be the icing on the cake for some.

• Hmm, just thinking out loud…
    i wonder if its possible to use a simple foot switch with a couple of resistors to set the volume and plug it into one of the pedal sockets on the Kemper set to "volume"
    Not sure if this would over-ride the vol pedal on the FCB but I'm going to give that a try.

• i agree and think this would be a good feature. as a workaround for now, if you have a volume pedal, you could assign it to volume but set the range so that heel position is "normal volume" and toe position is "solo volume".

This is what I do, but a problem with using the volume pedal this way is that you lose the ability to automatically switch on the tuner by putting the volume pedal in full toe-up position. So, having a simple boost parameter that can be midi-assignable would be nice.

• This is interesting. Here is an idea (may not be spot on with the OP's request, but still...) :

Would it be possible for a given slot to toggle between two effects? The external switches could be used for the toggling. So for example, the X slot could contain say two different EQ settings, one of which could act as a boost.

My two cents! :)