Use KPA like a multi-effect with a real amp for live

• Hello,

One question please,

Is there a way to use the KPA only for its effects ?

The goal would be for exemple, to use an combo tube amp ( which as a send and return), keeping the preamp of the amp, but having all the effects from the kemper ( tubes screamer in front of amp, delay in loop etcetc).

Is this possible ?

Thanks !

• I'd try to deactivate All the Amp/Stack/Cab Section (pushing them OFF and Locked there) and then plug ans follow

guitar, combo input.
    combo sent, KPA input.

then you can chose to go out to main just with KPA or use the ''moitor out'' of KPA to return to Combo fx loop and mic it up as Usual.
    Let's give a try..never tested but possible great results from this

• ... Of course you'll have your (real) pre in front of the stomps :)

Not if you do it the other way around:
    Guitar>KPA input
    KPA send (Loop in D or X)>Amp input
    Amp send>KPA Return
    KPA Monitor out>Amp return

done! ;)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Not from the KPA or MIDI pedalboard, uness your amp is MIDI-aware. You shall use a switch pedal, provided that your amp can be controlled that way, or (if this is the case) your pedalboard if it's able to control a switchable device.

What you'll be able to do with what Guitarnet is suggesting is to include-exclude your amp from the chain, in case using it in alternative (per-rig) to the KPA's amps.
    Basically, your amp becomes a further amp in the KPA (but, at that stage, you'd better profile it :D ).

• Thank you all for these informations.

This is really helpfull !

and if the amp is midi aware ? any way to switch the channel ?

In fact.
    I love the EVH 5150 III.
    And i want to feel it like a Real Amp, not like FRFR that I finaly dislike.

I have then 2 solutions :
    - i buy the amp i like ( but i sold eveything, so i need some effect that the Kemper can give me)
    - i buy a Real cab and a power amp, like the Matrix NL212 and a power amp ( i look for something good but not too expensive, like ISP stealth or EHX Magnum ).

But as i can't test it, i am afraid of the result and being disappointed.

• If the amp is MIDI-aware, then pedalboard->KPA MIDI Through ->Amp.
    This would work in general. But since the KPA is not able to reassign MIDI commands, either you can do it in your amp, or your pedalboard shall be able to send multiple MIDI commands in a single instance. The latter would work only if you can use for the amp MIDI commands which do not conflict with what the KPA is expecting.
    Or, if the pedalboard has got two MIDI outs and is capable of multi-command instances, you could control two devices independently at the same time.

The idea of having the amp in the KPA's loop and then using a real guitar cab with the KPA sounds a bit involute to me tho.
    I'd support the idea of an FR cab like the Matrix you mentioned (more linear but "guitar cab-like") instead.

PS: Just to be sure: are you meaning you'd buy a brand new amp, adding the KPA for just FX? If this is the situation, I'd buy a normal multi-fx unit to serve the amp. You'd save consistent money, some weight and some headaches :)

• You might be best served with a multiFX pedal. It sounds like you have given up on modeling (profiling) and could just sell your KPA and go old school. I believe you haven't found the right monitoring solution or you wouldn't be considering this. Unfortunately, that's why FRFR modeling solutions aren't for everyone. The KPA sounds better than an amp and can sound like ANY amp unlike a traditional setup....but it does require an adjustment to the player's ear and the monitoring gear. Not something every player is willing to work through. Good luck in your tone quest!

• You might be best served with a multiFX pedal. It sounds like you have given up on modeling (profiling) and could just sell your KPA and go old school. I believe you haven't found the right monitoring solution or you wouldn't be considering this. Unfortunately, that's why FRFR modeling solutions aren't for everyone. The KPA sounds better than an amp and can sound like ANY amp unlike a traditional setup....but it does require an adjustment to the player's ear and the monitoring gear. Not something every player is willing to work through. Good luck in your tone quest!

Best advice! :thumbup: