Yamaha DXR10 review (3-week point)

• Ok, I've had the DXR10 for 3 weeks now, and it have a lot of miles on it (both musical as well as road miles). Three gigs and lots of practice time, plus time at home setting up my patches and rigs. So here are my thoughts at this point:

AWESOME!

Again, I must thank the many, many people who gave me their valued input regarding all the major players in the FRFR powered speaker market. This was critically important for me deciding what speaker to buy. Ingolf and many others did shootouts, and they were extremely valuable as well. It speaks so well of this community of Kemper owners that are so willing to help each other out. I'm proud to be a member here.

First, for anyone looking at a FRFR solution, I will say that you should look at the DXR10 as an absolute top of the line option, not just a speaker that is 'great for the money'. It is flat-out great.

Second, everyone's ears are different. We don't all hear every frequency the same as each other, and that can account for one person preferring one FRFR solution to another. As guitarists, the signal we send to the speaker is a combination of many factors. It starts with your pick and fingers, and includes your strings, pickups, guitar wood, cable, and preamp settings. By the time we connect the cable to our powered speaker, there is a HUGE amount of variance between different guitarists' tone. This has a MASSIVE impact on the resulting amplified sound, and so it impacts our overall perception of the powered speaker.

Third, everyone's needs are different. For me, I need a compact FRFR solution to use as a front line wedge. It has to be loud enough for me to hear clearly (i.e. via a wide angle field) on a crowded stage, and also loud enough for the drummer to hear. The DXR10 is perfect. EXTREMELY compact with a convenient enclosure shape that allows you to lay it flat, lay it angled as a wedge, or stand upright. Plus, it's only 32lbs, yet packs 700 watts. There is so much headroom - I can't imagine I'd ever need more volume. And that's running my patches at least -6dB, or quieter for the mixing board.

Fourth, guitar tone. Once again, WIN. Everyone's ears are different, so that's a given. Second, ALL speakers represent a series of compromises. Speaker systems are imperfect machines, and decisions are made during their design to optimize them for certain parameters. There is no true flat response speaker system. Several come close, and they sound different in their approach to accurate FRFR.

From the very first gig, the DXR10 performed excellently. It cut through the mix without any harshness. Just enough high end. Plenty of low end, too (shattering the 12" is better than 10" speaker myth). The Yamaha accomplishes all of this without any boxiness or booming bass. No shrillness either. I am very happy with this purchase, and am content that my rig is set, without dreaming of any other gear.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I couldn't agree more! Like you I based my purchase off others reviews and glad I did! I can't believe how great this speaker is for the Kemper. I get deep bass and high end clarity that just puts a big ole grin on my face. :D

• Thank you for that review and the warm words. Brings a smile on my face. :)

Glad to do it!

For me it's easy to resist to the CLR and Matrix hype simply because I'm happy with my DXR10. :thumbup:

Same here.

And I don't have anything against the CLR or Matrix. There is no doubt that they are excellent, top of the line options. But for me and my live guitar playing needs (and perhaps other peoples', too), I wanted to make sure people were aware the DXR10 is right up there with the best available.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• I concur with the author of the OP, Two weeks with my Dxr10 and couldn't be any happier.

Well worth the money!!!

Thanks to all the members who pointed us in the right direction (you know who you are).

• I think I am sold. I was thinking for a while if I really should get a DX 10 ... but now

Guitars, Bass and Electronics
    ·

• I'm also glad to hear another positive review of the dxr10. I am considering using this as a floor monitor and also mixing my vocals in with the kpa through this speaker........... Have you used the dxr10 with vocals?

• I'm also glad to hear another positive review of the dxr10. I am considering using this as a floor monitor and also mixing my vocals in with the kpa through this speaker........... Have you used the dxr10 with vocals?

Yes, I tried last week with my acoustic guitar and the results were quite satisfactory. I suck at singing but the guitar and the voice were perfectly mixed and at the same time separate and articulate, very clear on both departments. I think they would be very usable for a solo singer acomppanying his singing with a guitar.

• Awesome. Thank you for letting me know your findings. This is the news I was hoping to hear. Looks like I might be in the market for a dxr10. Did you happen to compare it to the dxr12? I play both hard rock (breaking benjamin style) and acoustic and just wondered if there is a difference in speaker size or if that's all just hype.

• Awesome. Thank you for letting me know your findings. This is the news I was hoping to hear. Looks like I might be in the market for a dxr10. Did you happen to compare it to the dxr12? I play both hard rock (breaking benjamin style) and acoustic and just wondered if there is a difference in speaker size or if that's all just hype.

I really think the 12 would be overkill. I get plenty of low end with the 10. I think I have read that someone compared the 10 and 12 and the 10 won hands down for this application.

• I really like the footprint of the dxr10 so I was hoping this was the answer. I plan on using regular guitar cab as back line as well so don't need huge wedge. Really like the convenience of having a wedge with a mixer for vocals as well. Thank you for all the input on the dxr.

• I was on the list for a CLR but couldn't wait...went for the DXR. Soon after my name came up on the waiting list for CLR. I passed. DXR does everything I want and more. Again the guys here got it right.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• adamcanter7, I tried both the DXR10 and 12 and I've found that the 10 had this "something" that made it sound more like a guitar cabinet. Don't ask me why thought...:S But what I know is that I love it! :D

• Thanks for the comparison. I know the best solution would be to listen in person but that can be easier said than done at times. I really appreciate input from other users.....And to the OP thanks for your thoughts on this product. Sorry if I have taken your thread slightly off topic.

• :thumbup: I had to ring in and once again give my accolades to the DXR10's as well. They have been makin my tones sing.
    I couldn't ask for more with my 2 DXR's up front and that awesome little Mustang III sittin behind me completing my stage surround sound. 8o Yes INGOLF....I know wonderful world of overkill but man ya outta hear it!! :P