The definitive List of Backups for the KPA user

• It happened just the other day: a fellow user went to a gig with his well functioning KPA without a backup. According to Murphy's Law the inevitable and worst case happened: no sound! So here is for all of you a story of mine plus a complete(?) backup list. Enjoy!

When playing the final rehearsal two hours before a show for 200+ people my preamp (i used a korg A4 before the KPA was out) went out, then on, then out again. The conductor of the musical was upset. I checked the cables, everything. You'll know how this feels ... I would have used my single channel tube amp, a vox-like handmade gem from germany, but ofcourse i would have lacked the diversity of my six or seven sounds i had prepared for the show.

I checked the cables again, played the rehearsal with one sound. In the break i changed to the plug socket quite a few meters away from my place with a 5 meter cable i fortunately had with me. Bingo! Goodness, what a relief. Tried to replicate the failure to no avail. Good Gods of music. The show went extremely well. Standing Ovations. I do not dare to imagine what would have happened if i had not the cable with me! All is well that ends well?! Yes and no. I will never forget this and try to have EVERY single thing backuped. I like many others cannot afford to have 2 KPAs. So here is my ridiculous long list for a show of this medium size:

• KPA - Backup: Line6 Pod HD 300 = 5,4 kg + 5 kg
    • Power Amp Hartke GT60 - Backup: a Magnum mini amp = 10 kg + 0 kg 8o
    • A small 1x12 - no backup = 14 kg + ?
    • A fantastic guitar - backupped by a good guitar, two cases = 10 kg ;(
    • A bag for the KPA and another one for the cables - backuped by more cables = 2 kg
    • Miscelaneous things, this and that, strings & scores = 1 kg

If anything goes wrong - and it surely will - i am secure with one obvious exception: if my speaker leaves me, i will have to rely on the FOH man. Come to think of it: Add another 10 kg. :D

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• Main rig -> backup rig

Roland-Ready Strat -> Mercury Head guitar
    KPA -> DigiTech RP355
    Roland GR-20 -> this1smyne 2-button footswitch and Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal (can live without synth sounds)
    CLR -> house monitor
    TC Helicon Voicelive Play -> nothing, can live without vocal FX

Plus extra picks and strings and an extra 1/4" cable.

• Good topic!

Guitars: I usually have a Les Paul and a Tele with me, if one fails I can finish a gig with the other (rigs in the KPA are prepared for both guitars)
    Monitoring: RCF NX-SMA 12 active monitor, backup would be house monitor
    Amp: This is currently a problem since I have no backup for the KPA. I'm coming from tube amps and still have them but I don't want to carry a heavy tube head and a cabinet around just as a backup.

I'm thinking about getting a Fender Mustang Floor as backup because it could serve as backup for the KPA and my Behringer FCB1010 at the same time (at least I hope so). Anyone knows if the Mustang Floor can serve as Midi-pedal for the KPA?

• I was just wondering what to use as a backup in case of trouble.
    Worry that I rely so much on my KPA that nothing else can come close but certainly can not afford to have 2 of them.
    I have a great dub-bag and always have two guitars with me for any gig. Extra cables. Need to grab an additional extension cord.
    If I want to take a second amp I wonder about getting a Suhr Corvo or something like that. Small and sweet.
    I can't go the pod route.

• Zoom MS100BT sounds good through JBL PRX612M. The zoom can nearly replicate my real-life pedal board, not quite amp-wise, but, usuable. Looking forward to a stomp zoom pedal with the power of the G5.