PU-factor of a Kemper-profile

• Dear everyone,

in the last weeks I read and heard a lot about profiling and the huge impact of the profiled PU´s in the used guitar. Recapitulatory the conclusion was that a good result of MY rig I can only get with MY PU´s in MY guitar which I made the profile.... If the factor PU is that huge that´s a bit disappointing in my opinion. On the other hand I have to say I´ve not experienced that personally yet, that´s why I´m asking you as the community.

So what are your experiences with that? Did anyone compare his profiles with the guitar and pickups of which the profile was made and other PU´s/guitars ?

What are commercial profiles worth anymore? (btw: I love some Soundside/Ampfactory rigs)

Could this differences in sound be tweaked well, or are the differences even insignificant if eg I´m playing other humbuckers than the profiled ones?

Edited once, last by Andy87 ().

• Since you don't use a guitar to profile an amp, a more accurate way to put it would be that you find a sound you like by tweaking your amp before profiling it. Since the Profiler is accurate in reproducing the mic'ed amp's sound, you get a profile which responds exactly like the amp. If you tweaked the the amp for a Strato in position II, and you like it nevertheless when you use your LP's neck NB, then you'll like the profile with the LP as well.

OTOH, if you feel that the real amp needs to be tweaked a bit for giving you a great sound with the LP, you'll have the same feeling with the Profiler, which is accurate in reproducing the amp's sound.

It's not correct to state that the PU type directly affects the refining process. From the wiKPA:

[[ckemper]] The guitar does not matter for the refining process. The Profiler mainly reads the dynamics of
    an amp, when played by the guitar. Every guitar delivers enough dynamics to satisfy this aspect. In the end,
    the type of guitar or pickup does not have an impact in the profiling result. If the result is good, the A/B test
    will pass with any guitar. If the result was not good, the flaws will be obvious with every guitar.

Note: this statement doesn't mean that any good profile will sound good with any guitar, just that it will respond like the real amp with any guitar!

If you're interested, you can read the rest by downloading the whole doc from my sig :)

HTH

• oh cool. i, too, thought that different pus have a different impact on the profiling result, since they - beside their different eqs and dynamics - map different string/wave harmonies relative to their position on the guitar, which would be the input for the refining process.

but ck knows that stuff better.

• In the other thread you find everything necessary to try it on your own. My conclusion was: There IS a difference, although it's not a big deal. I don't even remember someone stating there's a big difference as opposed to the OP's statement.

Cheers
    Martin