Fletcher–Munson curve EQ for playing at different volume levels

• I love my Kemper but one thing that is a little hard to deal with is the fact that the human ear hears things differently depending on volume level. The ultimate feature (IMO) to fix this would be a user-toggleable EQ using the Fletcher-Munson curve. You could have a few settings for different volume levels, for example, one for bedroom playing, one for giging, and one for playing stadiums (SUPER LOUD).

I think that this feature could help many men to use their kemper to the fullest extent!
    [Blocked Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Lindos4.svg/400px-Lindos4.svg.png]

Any opinions? :thumbup:

• Forgot to mention, but it seems like this kind of feature could help people dial in their tone in a studio or home and then have it translate better to a live gig.

Also if CK likes the idea, an extension of this could be to allow have the Fletcher-Munson curve apply to the master volume knob automatically.. but this probably would be too much work. Still, an interesting idea.

• Cool idea, but why not apply it with the studio EQ?

It's a dip around 4Khz and 13Khz with a high-shelf from 5 or 6Khz.
    As the volumes rise, the frequencies shift downwards and the 13Khz dip becomes less noticable.
    Also, the effects of the curve will be negligible compared to dispersion and speaker impedance curves, if i'm not mistaken, but it's worth a shot.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• While it could be relatively easy to implement such a function, I'm afraid it would never word in a linear way, and for a number of reasons.
    One is that those curves are different in each individual; another one is that they change with the overall SPL.
    Furthermore, sonic perception depends on the environment and on the ground noise. In a larger hall we hear differently than in our home studio, and a higher SPL could be equivalent to a lower one in studio.

In a sentence, too many parameters to make it worthwhile.

But the main point is probably that we've been accustomed since 1,000,000 years to the sound spectrum to change when its volume varies, and this is the natural change we expect when hearing sounds.
    Basically, all you have to do is to tweak your patches at home at a volume which "sounds" like the gig volume. The rest is tomanyvariables IMO!

:)

• I'm really surprised what you guys sometimes come up with. :D
    Great thoughts, wrong target. Come on, this Kemper Profiler is a great tube amp simulator with some neat effects built-in. But you don't want to replace the FOH guy and his MIDAS Pro9 by putting everything inside the small lunchbox, do you? We're not talking about a mixing & mastering console and it's not a 192x192 routing switch and so on.

In my opinion, sometimes people think way to much into this small and amazing piece of gear. Can't you just be happy with and enjoy what it is? 31 band EQ, Fletcher Munson curve EQ ... wow, cool down and let's keep things simple and usable, please.

Thanks
    Martin

• I'm really surprised what you guys sometimes come up with. :D
    Great thoughts, wrong target. Come on, this Kemper Profiler is a great tube amp simulator with some neat effects built-in. But you don't want to replace the FOH guy and his MIDAS Pro9 by putting everything inside the small lunchbox, do you? We're not talking about a mixing & mastering console and it's not a 192x192 routing switch and so on.

In my opinion, sometimes people think way to much into this small and amazing piece of gear. Can't you just be happy with and enjoy what it is? 31 band EQ, Fletcher Munson curve EQ ... wow, cool down and let's keep things simple and usable, please.

Thanks
    Martin

+1 :D

• Its as simple as having a few presets, and lets be honest, it is the special sauce in loud tones that sound really good. I would imagine, Kemper could even do it as easily as making a few Output Eq settings.

• But you don't want to replace the FOH guy and his MIDAS Pro9 by putting everything inside the small lunchbox, do you?

Sometimes there is nobody FOH guy with MIDAS when you play.....

Its as simple as having a few presets, and lets be honest, it is the special sauce in loud tones that sound really good. I would imagine, Kemper could even do it as easily as making a few Output Eq settings.

Agreed.
    It hasnt to be perfect EQ using the Fletcher-Munson curve -cause it isnt possible, as viabcroced stated.
    It could be a nice option to compensate loudness changes anyway :thumbup: