Kemper dead LED - whats next?

• Hello,

Tonight I was playing with my beloved KPA and an LED died - its the 12 o' clock LED on the "volume" knob.
    I've had my Kemper for about 15 months now, and up until now, its worked like a charm. I bought it in July 2012, and I contacted the retailer a few hours ago about this.
    My KPA is still under their warranty so hopefully they'll sort me out.

Is it likely that mine was made with the notorious "bad batch" of LEDs that Kemper seemed to get?

Additionally, I ordered a Powerhead this week from Kemper directly, using the rebate voucher.
    How likely is it that the newer made units will experience a similar issue a month or year or 2 down the line?

The thought had crossed my mind about maybe selling my existing unit at some point in the future, but now with a dead LED, I don't see how I can, not without taking a big cash loss (I mean, who'd want a less-than-perfect KPA?)! Im a bit miffed at Kemper at the moment to be honest. I freakin love my KPA but having it in any way damaged is heart-breaking! ;(

• Mothership also stated that they now know where the problem is and have started to fix it properly. So recently-fixed units are likely not going to fail again under this respect.

They should probably do as the car manufacturers do? Recalling the potentially-interested units, or offering their owners to fix the issue as under warranty even after expiration.

• I had quite a few leds out and had them fixed a few months back under warranty. A few days ago, two more went out on my volume control. I am waiting to see if more are going to fail shortly. (This is what happened last time they started to fail). I am now out of warranty and am wondering if the repair would be covered under warranty again. I don't know if the circuit board replacement that they did last time simply replaced one failure prone component with another one that had the same underlying problem.

• I can send mine back to Sweetwater for the repair but it's a 3-4 week turnaround. I'm just wondering if I send it back and wait and it happens again then do I have to wait all over again? LOL I guess I should send it back but what a pain to be without it that long.

• I had quite a few leds out and had them fixed a few months back under warranty. A few days ago, two more went out on my volume control. I am waiting to see if more are going to fail shortly. (This is what happened last time they started to fail). I am now out of warranty and am wondering if the repair would be covered under warranty again. I don't know if the circuit board replacement that they did last time simply replaced one failure prone component with another one that had the same underlying problem.

That's what I have 2 leds on the volume. And that's my fear....I send it back...am without it for 4-6 weeks after shipping only for it to happen again? I just hate to be without for such an extended period...

• Well, I had that issue, 4 dead leds repaired with a turn around of 13 days with Thomann.
    The day after it arrived another led died. :cursing: now I will wait until warranty expires and
    send it in a week before. Annoying.

Cheers
    N

• So they only replace the defective LEDs @ support knowing that there were issues with a whole batch?.... can't be true ._.?

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• So they only replace the defective LEDs @ support knowing that there were issues with a whole batch?.... can't be true ._.?

Again: No, it weren't the LEDs itself. It was a batch of other components that "drive" the LEDs. The issue can be detected and it can be repaired/replaced. It does not happen with units outside that specific period of time (beginning to mid 2012) and not all units from that time suffer from the issue.

If you have defective LEDs in the knob collars, contact your dealer.

Timo

• It does not happen with units outside that specific period of time (beginning to mid 2012) and not all units from that time suffer from the issue.

Timo, how does this translate to the recent reports that even AFTER repair, the LEDs start dying again?

Also, I wonder how my unit can have the same problem although I bought it at the very end of 2012 ... and these units sell fast, can't believe mine was made in mid 2012?

I would really prefer to ONLY send my Profiler in for repair when I KNOW that the issue is fixed. Doesn't seem like being fixed right now when I read these user reports.

• Again: No, it weren't the LEDs itself. It was a batch of other components that "drive" the LEDs. The issue can be detected and it can be repaired/replaced. It does not happen with units outside that specific period of time (beginning to mid 2012) and not all units from that time suffer from the issue.

If you have defective LEDs in the knob collars, contact your dealer.

Why do LEDs die after repair then? Weird.
    I dont have any defective LEDs luckily, never had, but my "dealer" is the Kemper Onlineshop :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Arg one of my gain leds died X(

I wish there was a list of official certified Kemper repair center in order not to get your precious sent away for weeks, like you can find for Hammond , Roland ...

At least one in each major European / American country would be great.

Any chance we can see them in a near future ??

• Also, I wonder how my unit can have the same problem although I bought it at the very end of 2012 ... and these units sell fast, can't believe mine was made in mid 2012?

I would really prefer to ONLY send my Profiler in for repair when I KNOW that the issue is fixed. Doesn't seem like being fixed right now when I read these user reports.

I can't judge from a forums post. I know that a major cause of "dying" LEDs was found and that such units get repaired properly.
    To sort it out, especially if you feel that the dealer did not handle it as you might think he should had, contact Kemper support and open a ticket, please.

Timo

• Is it possible that they were initially just substituting the defective LEDs before they realized it was not them themselves?

That's the question. Maybe the underlying issue was identified later.
    Would be good to get some more information about this.

• My understanding was that they do not replace individual LEDs. They replaced the front panel circuit board that probably contained both the LEDs and the driver ICs. That's why I was surprised that my LEDs are failing again after an initial repair which took 3 weeks total -- most of the time was due shipping from FL to TX and back. The repair was done very quickly, next day in fact, because I chose to pay $50 for expedited service to the US repair facility in TX.