Setting Clean Sense & Distortion Sense for dummies like me?

• I've been reading up on posts and the Wiki page and it tends to confuse me more? I'm an old tube guy who loves my Kemper but finds a lot of this stuff confusing. I am currently using the sense setting to keep my clean sounds from distorting the output led (is that OK) In doing this, I have to run my distortion sense lower then my clean sense.I do this to keep the volumes equal on my rig sounds (so clean rig and distorted rig are close in volume) This means I'm running clean sense at -5 and distorted sense at -10 is this right? Thanks for any help on this I see it has been gone over a million times and I still don't get it, sorry.

• thanks reading now, still need to lower my clean sense to keep my clean sound from distorting the output led? does that make sense?

Don't pay attention to the output led when setting Clean Sense (make sure that the INPUT led doesn't show clipping though). Just set it so that there's a natural balance between clean and distorted (distorted should obviously have more loudness).

Then balance your rigs as you please with the rigs Volume control (making sure they don't clip the OUTPUT).

• thanks very much. my input led is fine. The output led is a problem. for clean (it clips) easily. I did adjust my rig output to stop clipping . The problem is now I'm at -7db's to -8db for distorted tones and -15db's for clean tones this means my rig volume master is set very low, as low as 7 to 8 o'clock, for cleans and 9 to 10 o'clock for distorted tones. Does this make sense or does it even matter?

Edited once, last by jamme61 ().

• There is IMHO no distorting factory rig, that clips the output LED.
    Btw: Distorting rigs limit their volume by the distortion itself, so the input volume does not influence it.

What rigs do you use? Do you have red also with factory rigs?