Advice on getting a simple recording setup going. Help.

• All my musical life I've tried to get a home recording setup going and it just never works out. Always some glitch or problem.
    Now I have the KPA and would love to get recording.
    Tried going into line 6 guitar port into garageband but when I play, I get this bizarre crackling sound on top of my sound. Only when I play.
    Not clipping sounding, it's still clear underneath the crackle.

So here I am yet again with no way to record.

Should I look into another interface to plug my kpa into the computer? Any suggestions

Are there any simplified solutions to get going on this. Maybe even free recording software?

(I actually have a protools system I've had for 10 years and have never been able to get it to work either... ugh.)

• haha, really, this shouldnt be much of a problem especially if you are using a mac! Now that you've spend 2K+ on your kemper, go spend a couple hundred on a decent audio interface that supports SPDIF. Go from kemper -> SPDIF out -> Interface -> USB -> Garage band. You will have a 100% digital signal with no conversions, it will work great.

As far as the "crackle" sound.... Not sure what's going on there... bad cables? Laptop mic on? Computer not fast enough to keep up? It could be a number of things... But really, if you have a modern computer and a decent interface that supports SPDIF, you shouldnt have many issues.

• Hi
    Try lowering the master volume on the Kemper (even if it's not clipping) and increase the volume of your monitors.

(A better audio interface with spdif will also probably do the trick)

• If you are on a mac and don't require more then 2 ins and 4 outs I can't recommend the apogee duet enough. The latest version also supports IOS which I use with auria on the pad. Stellar sounding unit great design and smells good too :)

But no digital in :(

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• haha, really, this shouldnt be much of a problem especially if you are using a mac! Now that you've spend 2K+ on your kemper, go spend a couple hundred on a decent audio interface that supports SPDIF. Go from kemper -> SPDIF out -> Interface -> USB -> Garage band. You will have a 100% digital signal with no conversions, it will work great.

As far as the "crackle" sound.... Not sure what's going on there... bad cables? Laptop mic on? Computer not fast enough to keep up? It could be a number of things... But really, if you have a modern computer and a decent interface that supports SPDIF, you shouldnt have many issues.

Actually I'm paying monthly on my Kemper which means little or no additional $$ at this time.
    Something used would be best and even then I have to start saving for it.
    My stupid Mac-mini wont update which has caused me a ton of problems. Hope I don't have to have a recent version iOS and wonder if I can still use an apogee?

Thanks again for the responses!

• I'm in the same boat (not the "underneath the crackle" just a newbie to recording and what software to use) except I run Windows not mac (although I have an Ipad)..............how does the Kemper interdface with recording software?

(Sorry didn't mean to steal the thread but I'n clueless to the recording world)

Edited once, last by Elbutcho ().