MIDI footcontroller adaptations for the Kemper Profiler (updated on June 30th 2016)

• Many of us want to use a footcontroller to load rigs, switch stomps/effects and shift continuous controllers.

The Profiler Remote is perfectly integrated with the Profiler. It connects via one Ethernet-LAN cable, enabling complete synchronization between both devices, as well as supplying power to the footcontroller. Display and LEDs reflect detailed and current information at any time. Settings are included in the Profiler's user interface and therefor included in any Profiler backup. It is possible to connect up to four expression pedals to the footcontroller. And a Looper can be perfectly controlled as well.

Our objective is to offer maximum flexibility, so that users can select the solution that best fits their needs. For example, some users want to integrate the Kemper Profiler into a bigger MIDI environment, and therefore have very specific requirements. Consequently, we have been in touch with multiple footcontroller manufacturers, and have been cooperating with them during the development of their Kemper Profiler adaptations.

This article is supposed to provide a short overview, as well as be a starting point for your personal evaluation. We didn’t always have the opportunity for intensive testing at the lowest possible level of detail, and as these adaptations are continuously improving, this material is obviously subject to change. The devil is often in the details, so if your needs are particularly special you might want to consult the manuals of these products before making your final decision.

UnO4Kemper chip-tuning for Behringer FCB1010

This chip-tuning, as soon as it is mounted, is plug-&-play and specialized to control the Kemper Profiler. UnO4Kemper supports bi-directional synchronization with the Kemper via two standard MIDI cables. The display can, for example, reflect the number of the current Performance, or the Tuning of the guitar. LEDs in the FCB 1010 indicate Tap Tempo, Slot loaded, and on/off-status of Stomps/Effects assigned to the 5 instant access switches.

The idea of this solution is to completely overcome the complex programming of patches in the original Behringer FCB 1010. Consequently, there is only limited customization available, and all settings are global. The board has all switching condensed in one "scene". The two built-in pedals are assigned to Wah and Volume. Remember - there is a function in the Profiler that allows you to use a Wah pedal to control Pitch effects. But beyond that other continuous controllers like for example Delay Mix cannot be assigned.

UnO4Kemper automatically detects and supports Performance Mode as well Browse Mode. In Performance Mode you can step and scroll through all 625 Performance slots.

In newer revisions the response curve of each of the pedals can be configured (linear, degressive, progressive). Since revision 1.3 Uno4Kemper is also supporting Beat Scanner, performance pre-selection (Performance Autoload disabled), and MIDI channel is self-learning. Since 1.4 the pedals can be assigned flexibly, so that it's for example possible to configure one pedal as Morph Pedal and link Wah and Pitch pedal to it.

This is a low budget solution, even if you include the glow-in-the-dark labels in your order. In the meantime Uno4Kemper is even offering a single cable kit, which allows to modify the FCB 1010 to be connected via one single 7-pin MIDI-cable incl. 9 Volt power supply.

Here is the link where you can find detailed information:

http://www.uno4kemper.com/

EurekaPROM 2.0 for Behringer FCB1010

The EurekaPROM 2.0 is another chip-tuning for the FCB 1010, but this one has the capability to control one device from a list of many. The Kemper Profiler has been recently added to this list, so the first thing you need to do after mounting the chip is to switch to the mode labelled "PA".

EurekaPROM 2.0 can also handle bi-directional communication, via two standard MIDI cables, to correctly reflect information such as Performance loaded, Slot loaded or on/off-status of switches assigned to Stomps/Effects. It supports Browse Mode and can access all Slots in all Performances in Performance Mode. EurekaPROM offers 5 modes or scenes built to control Effects, Presets, Favorite Presets, Specials, and Effects Presets.

One of the built-in pedals is dedicated to control Volume. The other is assigned to Wah by default, but can be changed in the Specials scene to any other continuous controller available in the Kemper Profiler like, for instance, Delay Mix, Gain or Monitor Volume.

The revision EurekaPROM3 even supports some Looper functionality

This solution is inexpensive and labels are included.

Here you can find more information:

http://www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom

FMAC Liquid Foot LF+

This is a very flexible controller for complex MIDI environments. It supports bi-directional synchronisation with the Kemper Profiler via two standard MIDI cables. It is able to display rig names, as well as the same stomp/effect acronyms used in the Profiler, and reflect their current state. This footcontroller supports Browse Mode. Up to four expression pedals can be connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOFCLSjaq70

RJM Mastermind GT/10 and GT/22

Very flexible controllers for complex MIDI environments. These support Performance Mode as well as Browse Mode. Latest RJM Firmware enables 640 internal patches sufficient to adress all 626 slots in Performance Mode. Both models support bi-directional communication via two standard MIDI cables. So for example the Profiler tuner status gets displayed on the Mastermind main screen. There is a learning function, which is downloading some names and configurations from the Profiler, but adjustments in the Mastermind settings might still be required. An editor software is available. With its song list feature you could display song names corresponding to performance names on the main screen, while the displays at the 5 slot switches display the corresponding rig name or slot name. Instant access switches can be configured globally or by patch. Up to four expression pedals can be connected and their functions can be assigned by patch or globally.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/wp/201…the-kemper-profiling-amp/

Gordius Little Giant

Complete footcontroller offered by the Uno4Kemper developers, which supports two-way communication via two standard MIDI cables. It is able to display Rig name, tempo and tuner status, as well as reflect the current on/off-state of stomps/effects. Up to four expression pedals can be connected.

http://www.gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-support.php

Keith McMillen SoftStep

This universal footcontroller is very flexible and powerful, but doesn‘t support two-way syncronisation. While one expression pedal can be connected, each of the ten built-in keys is not only able to switch, but also control via vertical and horizontal moves and pressure. We have prepared four example scenes to load rigs in Browse Mode, load Slots/Performances in Performance Mode, as well as switch and control effects. As this one connects via USB, the optional USB-MIDI-adapter is required to connect to the Profiler.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/p…-for-kemper-profiling-amp

All product names and company names are (registered) brand names or trademarks of each respective holder, and Kemper GmbH is neither associated nor affiliated with any of them.

• He said... sticky.......

Where is The Continuum Transfunctioner... Shibby...

I am a Profile Whore... Sometimes a Recovering Profile Whore...
    but mostly a Complete and Utter Profile Whore... I want them all... aCk!!! 8|:love:

• I just set up my POD HD500 to control the Kemper. I can turn all stomps/fx on or off; have expression/volume pedals,have access to MIDI presets 1-64 on the Kemper, and I can either plug into the Kemper directly or into the HD500 and control/power my Variax plus 2 other instruments and send a direct signal (no effects from the POD) to the Kemper. I also have the lights match the Kemper so I know which stomps/fx are on (no mismatched led problem!). I made a preset, a setlist, and a quick overview video at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wkc…dzafVs47jWRzC5JfCx5a?dl=0

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I just set up my POD HD500 to control the Kemper. I can turn all stomps/fx on or off; have expression/volume pedals,have access to MIDI presets 1-64 on the Kemper, and I can either plug into the Kemper directly or into the HD500 and control/power my Variax plus 2 other instruments and send a direct signal (no effects from the POD) to the Kemper. I also have the lights match the Kemper so I know which stomps/fx are on (no mismatched led problem!). I made a preset, a setlist, and a quick overview video at this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wkc…dzafVs47jWRzC5JfCx5a?dl=0

Very interesting

• Thinking of buying gsc4 or even gcs5 any recommendations? Will it work with KPA nicely?
    dont have time to wait for remote:(
    thanks

yes I reccomend you get me a gsc5 while your at it... Seriously though, I have no specific knowledge on these with the kemper but seem to be a very flexible well thought out solution. Just pricey. I'm surprised more of the pros on here aren't using. Nice incorporation with analogue stomps also

• Hi, thought I'd share my attempt at getting the Roland FC300 working nicely with the KPA...(apologies of this common knowledge - its all new to me!)

My goals:
    1 - Allow the use of all 125 100 Performance Slots, and all 5 Slots. (I play in a covers/function band and a Performance per song would be really useful)
    2 - Show a visual indication as to what Performance is loaded
    3 - Show a visual indication as to which Slot is selected.

I managed 2 out of 3 - couldn't figure out no. 3...

Anyway this is what I ended up with:

I used both Patch Mode and Control Mode and press both the Up/Dn pedals at the same time to switch modes.

Patch Mode - Used to select Performances
    Each FC300 Patch is programmed with Pedal On events for Bank Select and Program Change to select Slot 1 of each Performance
    i.e.
    Patch P.001 selects Performance 1 (Slot 1) using CC#32=0, PC=001
    Patch P.027 selects Performance 27 (Slot 1) using CC#32=1, PC=003
    (Note the Bank and Programme Change mapping for Performance above 26 which needs a Bank Select)
    The selected Patch should match the KPA Performance number giving at least a numerical visual match.
    I guess you could program Patch names but we switch our set list around quite often so I didn't want to have to reprogram both the KPA and the FC300 for each gig!

Control Mode - Used to select Slots in the current Performance
    The Pedals 1/6 - 5/10 are assigned to the CC number that selects Slot 1-5 respectively of the currently selected Performance.
    i.e
    Pedal 1/6 is assigned CC#50
    Pedal 5/10 is assigned CC#54

Thats it!

In use, I now press the Up/Dn pedals together to select Patch Mode, then select the Performance I want.
    The, I press Up/Dn together again to select Control Mode and the 1/5 - 5/10 Pedal select the Slot (Intro, Rhythm, Alt Rhythm, Bridge, Lead etc)

It also means I can use the CTL1/2 for Tuner/Tap Tempo and the Expression Pedals for Monitor Volume and Wah/Pitch bend.

Alternative approach
    One other option that may be simpler for live use (but doesn't provide any visual feedback as to which Performance or Slot is select (unless you can read the KPA screen!) is to use the CTL1 and CTL2 pedals for sending Performance Up and Performance Down commands (CC#48 and CC#49).

• To extend this list:

Microdesignum MIDI Grande

Several Models with 5 to 12 footswitches available. Two layers on each switch, up to 8 MIDI-Commands (Program Change / Control Change) per switch and layer. 32 Banks. Two inputs for expression pedals. The Case is made of aluminum profile.
    Can be used in program- or stompbox-mode. Supports bidirectional communication to show tuner on the footswitch LEDs of the controller.
    Customization ist possible. It's also possible to order only the MIDI-Module (without the case) to build your own controller.

Works great with Kemper Amp. Good price-performance ratio.

http://www.microdesignum.cz/EN…I-Controllers/MIDI-Grande

http://www.microdesignum.cz/EN…I-Controllers/MIDI-Grande
    Not a footcontroller, but a nice upgrade for almost any MIDI-device:
    PandaMidi midiBeam
    Wireless MIDI

Get rid of MIDI-cables, make your MIDI-footcontroller wireless.
    Very easy to set up, it's "set and forget": just pair the transmitter and receiver when using them for the first time. Very reliable connection, just like a cable.
    Can even be used with bidirectional connections, of course two transmitter/receiver pairs are necessary for a bidirectional setup.

Works great with Kemper Amp. Good price-performance ratio.

http://pandamidi.com/midibeam/

• Hi there. I recently bought the kemper and I want to share my midi solution for it. I bought a cheap multi fx some fifteen years ago. It's the Zoom GFX8 which can give midi commands. It'possible to switch between rigs and the expression pedal can be used as a volume control or a wha control if you enable the wha to volume feature in the kemper. It works fine for me. One big advantage for me is, that it is a small floorboard (not as the FCB1010) and I got it around here for some years. And ist has the same green colour as the kemper :)