Tuner's sensitivity

• I've noticed that the tuner on the Profiler is exceptionally sensitive, and also very quick in its response.
    The latter makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, because the strings' attack transitory (?) can be quite mad at times.

Then I recalled that my Korg DT-1 has got the ability to switch from a Fast Response mode to a Slow Response mode.
    I always keep it set to Slow, because I find that this setting better reflects the strings' behaviour, and - so to say - filters out the "ground noise" (in terms of information) giving the user only the most useful info about the string's tuning (during the decay phase).

I wonder whether this function could be designed into the Profiler as well, or if it wouldn't be the case to go for a Slow mode only. After all, measuring the attack behaviour of a guitar or bass string is of no use... unless I'm missing something.
    This would make tuning faster and more accurate IMO.

What do you guys think?

:)

• Well, I think the Tuner is really good the way it is (apart from the kind of broken bubble graphic). Never had such a precise tuner before. I wouldn't mind a second tuner mode if some like it. But I think the current mode should remain default because you don't get this precision often.

Speaking about the Tuner, I wouldn't mind to have a few small (documented) scale lines just to know the facts. :)

• For me it's very important to have a tuner with quick attack and when tuning or intonating a guitar it's the first initial attack that I always tune after. I hit the string repeatedly to see the first attack and tune at the same time and I never wait for the string to ring out (decay) and go a little flat and tune after that lower note. Notes are mostly played quickly and only the first attack matters. When tuning I also make sure to pick the string just as hard as it is going to be played. A guitar is not perfect either so tuning the G string 15 cent flat can also be a good idea. YT character Scott Grove can be funny and here are two of his videos about tuning with some good points.

You Are Tuning Your Guitar Wrong. I Guarantee It. By Scott Grove
    [YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

How To Tune Your Guitar. Yes, Really. By Scott Grove
    [YOUTUBE]

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

• I've been satisfied with the tuner sensitivity, but this kind of fast/slow selection wouldn't hurt ;)

I don't want to start a new thread so I post in this, because this is tuner related:
    It's about the quick-tuning LEDs in the front panel. I would like them to be used in a way that could be a lot easier for eyes. I mean: when the string is in tune, the center LED is green and the next LEDs on _both_ sides are white, right? I would prefer a lot that only one LED is lit a the time. Would be easier to quickly see the tuning. Anybody share my opinion on this?

• For me it's very important to have a tuner with quick attack and when tuning or intonating a guitar it's the first initial attack that I always tune after. I hit the string repeatedly to see the first attack and tune at the same time and I never wait for the string to ring out (decay) and go a little flat and tune after that lower note. Notes are mostly played quickly and only the first attack matters. When tuning I also make sure to pick the string just as hard as it is going to be played. A guitar is not perfect either so tuning the G string 15 cent flat can also be a good idea. YT character Scott Grove can be funny and here are two of his videos about tuning with some good points.

You Are Tuning Your Guitar Wrong. I Guarantee It. By Scott Grove
    [YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

How To Tune Your Guitar. Yes, Really. By Scott Grove
    [YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you, HappyKemper, that was interesting.

• I was actually going to put a request to add a soft key that would "reset" the tuner to 440 because I noticed the setting has been off a few times for me and with the highly sensitive dial it could save a lot of time (especially if a person noticed this on stage and needed a quick tune).

• The setting at 440 is doing what is supposed to do. My concern is that a couple of times it was just above or below 440 and when I went to adjust it to 440 noticed it is very sensitive to adjust. Having a soft button above to reset to 440 would make this a lot quicker to do.

• Hey HAPPY KEMPER, +1 on the video and the KEMPY TUNER

Glad :thumbup: you brought Scots you tube out for everyone here who may not be tuning this way.
    Although he is out spoken and can appear quite the :rolleyes: azz :pinch: AT TIMES, he does have this one correct :thumbup: .
    There are a few of us that have been doing this for years. ;)
    My delta blues playing Grandfather is the one that showed me this in my teens, he said boy X(!!! hit them strings like ya do when ya play or that thing ain't never gonna ever tune right. :S I thought he might have sat next to the cannon too many times, until I grabbed a D 8| chord then a G :huh: then an F 8o I came to see that it works :thumbup: , its always funny to watch others watch me tune and see them ask ?( :huh: "what the hell are you doing?" they shake their head and then I normally catch them trying it and :) smiling shortly after.
    Nice that Scot put himself out there to be ridiculed for it.

When we pretentious cork sniffers realize everything is not as absolute as we think, we end up much better off....I know did when I opened my ears and closed my nose...;)
    Striking with playing force, multiple times and using the KEMPERs tuner and everyone should be much happier. :thumbup:

• :P

Thanks you guys, I will make some experiment with all the above.

I'm not convinced about the attack transition to rule in the pitching, because when I hold a chord or a note I rely on the decay/sustain part. furthermore, I've seen many times roadies tuning guitars for major artists and always taking the "slow" path. Guitars seemed in tune after that, and rode the stage :/

:)

• I have no problem with slow/fast tuner in Kemper, I can use both ways, seems to work fine for attack tuning and release tuing (btw there is no hard and fast rule how to tune, that depends what you play and your play style, the guy on the video is half right at most, lol).
    What I'd very much like is instead of that bulb we have now - I'd rather see a detailed display with cents and markers (maybe as an option).