Interesting books!?

• Hey gang,

I have to confess that I've not been a bookworm recently. But sometimes, things change ... and it looks like I found a new hobby.

So here's the book I'm currently enjoying:
    Light and Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page
    I've read half of it in the last 2 days and I think it's well worth reading, because Jimmy Page is someone you really have to dig deep to find him talk about his musical career and thoughts. Very interesting to me, so I can recommend it (if you don't already know it). :)

Next book in line is:
    Life by Keith Richards
    Can't tell anything about it because I haven't started reading yet. But I'm very curious already.

I wonder what you think about these two books ... and maybe you can add to a list of books about music and musicians we should read?

Cheers,
    Martin

• Cool, I'll check those out!

I'm a huge fan of Perfecting Sound Forever by Greg Milner, a surprisingly fascinating and well-written history of sound recording. The funny thing is, exploring my Kemper often reminds me of the book. One of the recurrent themes, from Edison's phonograph to radio, tapes, CDs, mp3s and digital audio workstations, is the A/B-comparison as a promotional tool. Just like Edison had a touring road show in 1915 where a singer sang along with a phonograph recording of her own voice, and people swore they couldn't tell the difference, the Kemper has A/B-ing built right into the profiling procedure! No, I'm not suggesting that we're as naive now as those audiences back then, I just think it's cool that our little toaster represents a new step in a long, lofty and ambitious tradition.

• Being a huge Megadeth Fan, i really enjoyed the autobiography by Dave Mustaine.

To those german speaking recording beginners who would like to get a little deeper into the basics, i can recommend "Effekte und Dynamics" by Thomas Sandmann. It´s an older book, but it´s well written and has the right amount of depth for beginners.

• Being a huge Megadeth Fan, i really enjoyed the autobiography by Dave Mustaine.

To those german speaking recording beginners who would like to get a little deeper into the basics, i can recommend "Effekte und Dynamics" by Thomas Sandmann. It´s an older book, but it´s well written and has the right amount of depth for beginners.

How old is his bio? reat musician but what I've "recently" heard about him he seems to really be quite the opposite as a person.

• I've recently been gifted with Wynton Marsalis' How Jazz Can Cange Your Life. Surprising reading, a mixture of memories *his father was a musician too) and American (black) culture. One of the most interesting chapters is where he talks one by one about the greatest jazz performers in history and comments on them by a musical and emotional POV.

US people will feel it most I guess, but for the same reason interesting for a non-US person for an unusual approach to American culture and "inverted" racial issues (the snob black young intellectuals in the '70s).

• Great thread. Have to check a few that sounded interesting to me.

I also say "THE DIRT" , HERION DIARIES, both motley crew , and SLASH , all very good reads and somewhat depressing at times but also makes you laugh...

Also read a book about led zeppelin , which I really liked by the tour manager Richard Cole . He was with those guys 24/7 for a very long time.

And heaven and hell, my life with the eagles , by Don Felder..

• The slash Bio was very funny and intetesting of the opinion of One guns member

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• Thanks a lot for ALL suggestions so far.
    What I already picked (out of interest) for my todo list is the Slash Bio and Peter Green Bio.
    Read one chapter of Robrecht's suggestion "Perfecting Sound Forever", but after learning everything about a $200.000 setup ... well, hmm :)

I'm a big fan of Eric Clapton and I had a look at his autobiography's reviews. Looks like I will skip that book, has lots of bad comments.

Keep the suggestions coming, I need more input for the next vacations. :D

• Well you asked for it. :D (Nothing music related sorry)

Harry Harrison : Stainless Steel Rat
    Oscar Wilde : The Picture of Dorian Gray
    Jean-Paul Sartre : No Exit
    Stephen Hawking : Brief History of Time
    Dan Simmons : Hyperion
    Mihail Bulgakov : Master and Margarita
    Scott Berry : From Goddess to Mortal
    Heraclitus : Fragments
    Salman Rushdie : Satanic Verses
    Jean-Paul Sartre : Nausea
    Dhammapada (teachings of Buddha)
    Mahatma Gandhi : autobiography
    Rudyard Kipling : Kim
    Sun Tzu : Art of War
    Machiavelli : The Prince
    George Orwell : Down and Out in Paris and London

• Great thread and suggestions...the ones I've read and highly recommend (all good reads, quite interesting and entertaining)

- Scar Tissue (Anthony Kiedis)
    - Slash
    - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Caught In The Crossfire (older but great nonetheless)
    - The Dirt - couldn't believe some of the stuff I was reading :D
    - Heroin Diaries - was OK, preferred The Dirt
    - Red - Sammy Hagar (interesting insight into VH and Sammy)
    - Ozzy
    - Mustaine
    - How Black was our Sabbath - Unauthorized View from the Crew
    - Heavier Than Heaven - Kurt Cobain Autobiography

Over the holidays I'd like to tackle Iommi and Neil Young (Waging Heavy Peace), would also like to read the Keith Richards one.

For those that don't like to read or are driving, some of these are available as audiobooks, great for long road trips, as long as no kids in the car :)

• To Live is to Die- the life and death of Metallica's Cliff Burton

I really enjoyed reading it. I became a fan of Metallica after Cliff's death. so there was always a shroud of mystery around him to me. Unfortunately, he died as Metallica was getting huge. Therefore, there really isn't a great deal of interviews with him out there.
    For those who think Metallica would have stayed heavy if Cliff had lived, think again. He envisioned Metallica slowing down the tempo and playing more rock-type stuff back in 1986. Still can't imagine him being okay with Bob Rock as a producer though. Neither can I imagine him cutting off his hair. Can't imagine him being okay with very little audible bass on the "... And Justice For All" album either.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach