Delay alters the direct signal even with mix set to 0%? [Solved]

• I already have a ticket for this, but support was unable to reproduce this behavior and I haven't been able to provide A/B reamped clips due to lack of free time to do it, so I thought I'd ask for help from the experts here at the forums.

Since many firmwares ago (maybe for as long as I can remember) I have been having trouble getting rid of a certain "brightness" that's present when the delay is engaged. I have tried messing with bandwidth but no luck, until last week when I decided to set mix to 0% and compare delay on and delay off. To my surprise, it seemed like the direct signal was being modified when the delay was engaged, even with mix at 0%. So just to be sure I wasn't hearing things, I did the same A/B comparison with the reverb with mix set to 0%, and to my ears the reverb *does not* alter the signal, while the delay *does*.

The tests were done with profiles with a reasonable amount of gain, some times with a Green Screamer up front, with the same results.

Can anyone else out there give it a try and see if they can hear it too? Also if someone could provide A/B reamped clips with delay on and off showing the differences it'd be great.

[EDIT]: After reading other users' posts and giving it another listen with fresh ears, I could not reproduce the problem, so I've closed the ticket. The apparent brightness I've always heard with the delay was solved by turning bandwidth to 3.5 and center frequency to -1.5.

Edited once, last by Deny ().

• I'm not at my machine right now, but can you try to reproduce this with reverb off?
    Could it be that some signal is tapped because of the rev/delay balance?

Hi Ingolf, I don't think that's the case because my tests were conducted initially with both delay and reverb off, then comparison between delay on and off (with reverb off) and then comparison between reverb on and off (with delay off).

• Hi Deny,

i can not reproduce this issue. Tried various rigs / gain levels. I did not notice any changes in tone.

Hello HELL-G, thanks for giving it a try. Which type of delay did you use? I use and notice the problem with the "analog" type, haven't used much any of the others to be honest. I'll see if I can give it another listen using different delay types tonight when I get home.

• After reading your replies I've given another run at this with fresh ears and couldn't detect the problem, so I've closed the ticket and also updated the OP. If anyone's interested, it seems that setting bandwidth to 3.5 and center frequency to -1.5 solves the excess brightness I've been noticing with delay engaged.