Improved Tubescreamer

• I always run a tubescreamer amp in front of a high gain amp in the usual drive 0, tone middle level full config. I can't find any setting on the KPA that works for this. As such i have to relay on profiles created with a TS, of which i can't find many.

are you aware that there's a offset between the modeled tone control and it's real world counterpart?
    (this will be fixed in a future FW)

2.5 on the Green Scream is noon on the TS and noon on the Green Scream is all the way up, 5 o'clock, on the TS.
    past noon, nothing happens on the Green Scream's tone control.
    as always, use your ears, not your eyes. ;)

Use your ears...

• The "green scream" sounds nothing like an actual TS in front of an amp to my ears.

the Green Scream sounds so close the the Maxon OD808 I have here, that you can find more changes in sound and behaviour between a bunch of TS9s for exsample.
    Tubescreamers all share their characteristic mids, but other than that, they can vary quite a bit (component tolerances or even different components)

The Green Screamer is now based on the OD808 and it can come very close but doesn't quite tighten up the low end as the real deal does.

interestingly enough, the Green Scream tightens the low end a bit more than my OD808 does.

qed ;)

• What I'd REALLY want to have in the KPA is a 1997 Fulltone Fulldrive 11 profiled whilst in comp cut mode for a tubescreamer type pedal.

NOTHING sounds OR feels like the 1996 or 1997 FD11 in comp cut mode and I ALWAYS have to use it in front of the KPA to achieve the amazing amp feel and sound that I get and so many locals are envious of.

You want something totally functional for everyone yet unique to the competition the 1996 or 1997 Fulldrive is the way to go.

I believe this pedal is what everyone is expecting "the" tubescreamer to sound and feel like hence my post.

• It pains me to be negative about the KPA but I agree the dirt pedals are not that good. There is a serious lack of headroom/dynamics in comparison to using an actual overdrive in front of the KPA.

• the Green Scream sounds so close the the Maxon OD808 I have here, that you can find more changes in sound and behaviour between a bunch of TS9s for exsample.

I do wish the Green Scream had less gain at minimum. I'm not familiar with the Maxon but the tube screamer could go almost completely clean at minimum. The GS is too hairy down there :huh:

• There is actually nothing to improve with the Green Screamer.

I have a TS 808 and an OD 808 that sound about the same by coincidence. Both were the reference for the Green Screem, when it was modified the second time.
    We had a long thread last year that led to these refinements. In the end everybody was happy.
    In that particular thread nobody mentioned a different gain.

Please be aware that every distortion pedal differes from similar models, due to the variations of the components.

Use a real pedal in front of the unit,personally i feel drive pedals in kemper are forgettable.

Interesting. Last week I hooked up a couple of pedals to my Kemper.
    - BB preamp plus
    - majik box fuzz universe
    - kelley modified ts
    - max on od808
    I must say that these are no slouch, I really like all of them and use them a lot with my valve amps.
    Played for a day and unhooked them. I could do most if not all sounds using Kemper built ins. Was there a difference, sure there was (BB can do more sounds and is very smooth for instance), but it was within cork sniffing range and not worth the hassle of keeping pedalboard under my desk.

• Everything is perfect,yet topics similar like this one keep popping up...

• They,re going where no man has ever gone before.
    Improvements and updates keep coming w.o. Any additional cost to owners.
    I like the G.S. but look forward to other highly desirable o.d. Pedals
    In the meantime I,ve stopped using my actual stomps and have sold most of them.
    I guess for me, having the luxury of now being able to play thru a 62 Ac30 or 67 JTM 50
    Or old tweedFenders negates the need for pedals.
    Instead of putting a ghetto stomp in front of a small combo to try and achieve the sound of a big vintage tube amp now
    I can just plug into that big vintage killer amp and have the tone at any volume.

• Whilst I can appreciate and support the above comments sometimes the marriage of a solid state OD pedal going into an already cooking tube amp can't be matched.

In fact many classic & famous recordings of some of the best guitar sounds ever to date have been that marriage.

Sure, it's great NOT to have to lug a pedal board around and again just use the amp sounds in the KPA, however, the KPA internal pedals need some attention.
    More dynamics and headroom in particular and only then can you truly retire your external pedal boutique board.

As some have mentioned, the internal pedal sounds are good enough for them but they're not good enough for us all.

I believe they're close in the KPA but a little more attention to where they possibly sit in the internal signal path of the KPA will improve them out of sight.

I'm a firm believer that a guitar plugged directly into a pedal is the common design of any real pedal and this should be followed in the KPA to truly match the tone & feel of a stomp.
    Maybe it already is in the KPA but I'd like that verified by CK and his team.