AxeFx II played live by Metallica

• Huge endorsement for Fractal. Metallica has never shied away from technology. I had a feeling they might give the digital modelling world a spin. Those presets would be worth gold, but I still think they sounded better on Ride The Lightening album in 1984 than they do in that video. I thought the tone was king of meh.... and I'm, a fan of Metallica and the AXE II.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• I'm not an Axe FX hater by any means, and I think its a great unit... but, these videos do not showcase the axe fx II. The tone is not great. I don't know whats going on there. Is it just me? ?(

• I'm not an Axe FX hater by any means, and I think its a great unit... but, these videos do not showcase the axe fx II. The tone is not great. I don't know whats going on there. Is it just me? ?(

I don't think they've had great tone since the Black Album, which was over 20 years ago.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

I´m neither a fan or a hater regarding the axe, since i never owned one. But i think that any other sound clip of the axe i heard so far sounded better than this. The music of Metallica has been throughout my entire youth in the late 80s and early 90s and it´s just sad to see you much they have lost of their status as "legends". It´s not only that Lars´playing is simply untolarable and you might also argue about the songwriting... it´s also about the sound. As much as every heavy guitar player wanted a "guitar sound like Metallica" in the 90s, nowadays it seems that anything is better than this.

Teaming up with Rick Rubin was a complete fail. Maybe they should get Andy Sneap to produce their next album, and just do songs over 180 bpm... :P

• Im a metallica fan, and have seen them live a lot of times and almost always they have awesome tone. Maybe the video was just poorly mixed? ?(

Metallica toured South Africa a few months ago.
    Friends of mine opened the show for them and obviously spent the day watching Metallicas rigs being setup.

They used IEMs, no amps on stage, backstage were a bunch of mic'd Diezel Herberts.

Obviously for this gig, and for convenience sake they used the Axe-FX...they definitely don't use the Axe-FX for their big live shows.

• Somehow eveyone misses the fact that it's a gig played outside on the fricken Antarctic? :D

First of all there's no PA or amps allowed, everything is routed to headphones (even the audience) to not disturb the wildlife, second, the temperature is below freezing, which sort of makes it a miracle the guitars stay in tune during the song. Plus it's a real bitch to play when your fingers are numb from the cold. So for what it is I thought it sounds decent.

• Lol !

The Zome structure + greenhouse effect will maintain the whole largely above freezing T°, maybe 10 to 20°C at noon (some fans wearing only T-shirts ) , not like they were playing outside in full wind...

Impressive solar panels collection , I like the autonomous challenge.

They should have used the KPA to lower power consumption as well

• I was on that concert with my two kids , and the Sound was just that , with big S , simply kick ass Sound .
    Everything was fine , except Kirk solo playing was just pathetic , that guy need some guitar lessons ASAP ;)
    The Band was in full speed , they played for more than 2 hours without a break, and they could played another two hours, at least that was how they looks like .
    It was amazing to see former heavy alcoholics , now Gentlemen in serious age , with so much strength , vitality and stamina .

Apart from the fact it is their job, one can see clearly they like to play and they enjoyed that even more than auditorium !

I am enough stupid and lucky to buy Axe right now , but I am not sure if I can afford to pay technician to manage that unit for me and sounds I want ... :P
    Gentleman from Metalica obviously can.

Metallica toured South Africa a few months ago.
    Friends of mine opened the show for them and obviously spent the day watching Metallicas rigs being setup.

They used IEMs, no amps on stage, backstage were a bunch of mic'd Diezel Herberts.

Obviously for this gig, and for convenience sake they used the Axe-FX...they definitely don't use the Axe-FX for their big live shows.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited once, last by Rescator ().

I thought the tone was good considering what youtube does to it. I would love to hear that raw files from the mixer. :thumbup:

• Im a metallica fan, and have seen them live a lot of times and almost always they have awesome tone. Maybe the video was just poorly mixed? ?(

I haven't seen them live since '92 or so. I'm speaking mainly about their studio recording tone. I thought the tone from Load/Reload was good but not great. St Anger was terrible. Death Magnetic was a leap in the right direction, but nothing they've done since compares to the tone of those first five albums+ garage days. The more they tried to change, the worse they have gotten. They're still in my top 2-3 bands, but it's on the awesomeness of those first five albums. Just my two cents...

• :) To whom it concerns...

Don't get me wrong I don't want to lecture anyone, I don't want to join the gear battle and I certainly don't want to judge someones musical tastes. But it seems to me that the variety of "great sounds" is by far more extended than I thought.

Well, well one should not argue about ones tastes. I myself, I'm definitely not into any metal stuff. Thus I don't know how metal stuff is done soundwise perfect. There are some ballads from Metallica I liked though. I don't know about axes and I have none to grind about sound devices. I'm very happy with my Kemper. It gives me everything I asked for soundwise.

Frankly I have some difficulties to acknowledge the guitar soundcheck in the vid's first seconds as great sounding. To me it sounds more like a synthesizer doing the job. So I gave it a second try and advanced to the soloing part that for a few seconds reminded me of one or two pieces of well done guitarplaying in 1960s popular music. But the sound? That's a guitar? Honestly?

Then again sound is just one aspect of a musical performance. I'm not so sure wether it's an important feature of musical quality. Substantial music will sound great on every equipment. But that's completely up to the auditorium. Or as a wise man/woman put it: Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. True enough! Clapton (Hendrix, Harrison,Ford,...) will sound like Clapton (...) on a cheap 50 $ thingy - something I can't hope to achieve. Hence the Kemper!

Sincerely

:) ;) :D

Joachim